Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
yes he should
Nahh, he shouldn't.

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:27 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
You might laugh but that's not beyond the realms of possibility with SAF all on his own. He's £#%&!ing mental when it comes to team selections.
Wouldn't be suprised to see Giggs in CM a lot more this season and far far less movement, which would be a travesty.
I dunno, Fergie did manage a Champions League with Steve McClaren as his assistant. i think we put toomiuch store in his assistants effect on his tactics. wasn't so long ago Carlos was to blame for our negative tactics. In the end, Fergie's been succesful for 30 years with various assistants. Satdee, well he just got it wrong, I'm not gonna read too much into it.

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyuiop
No he shouldnt.
Probably shouldn't, but he has been progressively more shakey in the last 18 months. Some heroic penalty saves aside, he's flapped at more & more recently. The Newcastle game at home was cringeworthy & what the £#%&! he was doing Saturday God only knows.

Hopefully he can get back to some consistency as when he's good, he's the best man for the job. But the flaps & weak punches / dodgy decisions appear to be causing problems now. I know we're only 4 games in, but still, not like the signs haven't been there.

Think Foster deserves a chance, he's been with us years, had one league game I think - Derby, when he was actually exceptional as I recall - & been injured a lot, he's played as many games for England I think? Knutsack will always provide good cover, but is liable to give away a penalty every game a la Ricardo a few years ago. There's no crisis by any means, but VDS certainly isn't getting any younger or consistent.

As for Wednesday...

Foster (if he's even fit?)

Brown
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Cougar
Ando

Ronaldo
Rooney
Tevez

Berbs

Possibly Nani for Ronaldo to start, he's done well Internationally as mentioned elsewhere & I think he'll always be better at home at the moment given the maturity (or lack of) his football.

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I dunno, Fergie did manage a Champions League with Steve McClaren as his assistant. i think we put toomiuch store in his assistants effect on his tactics. wasn't so long ago Carlos was to blame for our negative tactics. In the end, Fergie's been succesful for 30 years with various assistants. Satdee, well he just got it wrong, I'm not gonna read too much into it.
Steve von McClaren is a good assistant and a good coach. He completely revamped the youth system at Boro too. Look how many first teamers their academy has produced in the last few years. If they haven't made it there they have moved on to other clubs and forged out a career - Danny Graham, Andrew Davies etc.

Saturday was a poor performance. We will learn from it. It's mid September ffs.

Anyone for a pint of perspective?

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Qwertyuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Probably shouldn't, but he has been progressively more shakey in the last 18 months. Some heroic penalty saves aside, he's flapped at more & more recently. The Newcastle game at home was cringeworthy & what the £#%&! he was doing Saturday God only knows.

Hopefully he can get back to some consistency as when he's good, he's the best man for the job. But the flaps & weak punches / dodgy decisions appear to be causing problems now. I know we're only 4 games in, but still, not like the signs haven't been there.

Think Foster deserves a chance, he's been with us years, had one league game I think - Derby, when he was actually exceptional as I recall - & been injured a lot, he's played as many games for England I think? Knutsack will always provide good cover, but is liable to give away a penalty every game a la Ricardo a few years ago. There's no crisis by any means, but VDS certainly isn't getting any younger or consistent.

As for Wednesday...

Brown
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Cougar
Ando

Ronaldo
Rooney
Tevez

Berbs

Possibly Nani for Ronaldo to start, he's done well Internationally as mentioned elsewhere & I think he'll always be better at home at the moment given the maturity (or lack of) his football.
Foster deserves his chance, just not on Weds. I dont want a return of the Carroll and Howard show where a keeper was dropped every couple of weeks for making a mistake.

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
McClaren was a decent tactician. But regardless that team was a gung ho. Something SAF has admitted doesn't really work anymore.

Remember when @#%&!bozz went the last time. SAF was throwing Smith, RVN, Saha and Rooney all on to chase a game. It was just as horrible to watch as Saturday.

I'm genuinely concerned.

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:36 AM
captain scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Scholes is banned after his red in Monaco.

VDS

Wes
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Hargreaves
Fletcher
Anderson
Nani

Rooney
Tevez
That will do for me.

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Baron

Quote:
Foster deserves his chance, just not on Weds. I dont want a return of the Carroll and Howard show where a keeper was dropped every couple of weeks for making a mistake.
yeah but I don't recall VDS being dropped & maybe this could be a kick up the arse to concentrate him...

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:39 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Steve von McClaren is a good assistant and a good coach. He completely revamped the youth system at Boro too. Look how many first teamers their academy has produced in the last few years. If they haven't made it there they have moved on to other clubs and forged out a career - Danny Graham, Andrew Davies etc.

Saturday was a poor performance. We will learn from it. It's mid September ffs.

Anyone for a pint of perspective?
I thought I was providing a bit of perspective? as I say, i'll not read too much into it after one poor performance.

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:41 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
McClaren was a decent tactician. .
Don't want to argue but McClaren was a shocking tactician and showed it with England.

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Don't want to argue but McClaren was a shocking tactician and showed it with England.
Indeed. 3-5-2 away against Croatia is all the evidence ever needed on that one.

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Good coach though.

Unread 15-09-2008, 11:50 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Good coach though.
I understand he brought some good ideas about fitness and stuff. Coaching wasn't the issue yesterday, united have good coaches, Fergie just got it wrong tactically as he has before and will again.

Unread 15-09-2008, 12:40 PM
borsuk

said this in another thread but nothing i've read has given me any reason to change my mind...

fletcher in central m/f should be the first name on the teamsheet for weds imo. with scholes suspended that would leaves hargreaves to partner fletcher, with nani on the right and giggs on the left. two of the three up front. anderson on the bench. o'shea into the centre of defence against chelsea.

that gives us a much better balanced side and a chance to rest one of the strikers for saturday and/or change things off the bench.

vds
wes - rio - vidic/o'shea - evra
nani - hargreaves - fletcher - giggs
rooney
berbatov

tevez rested to play against chelsea.

Unread 15-09-2008, 01:14 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

O'Shea will play in midfield, you just know it dont you. I'd play:

VDS (Maybe Nutzack)

Brown
Rio
Vida
Evra

Park/Nani
Fletcher
Anderson
Giggs

Berbatov
Tevez

Subs: Neville, Evans, O'Shea, Nani/Park, Ronaldo, Rooney

I dont think OH will be risked to play 3 games in the space of 8 days, even though it was only 20mins Saturday.

Unread 15-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
said this in another thread but nothing i've read has given me any reason to change my mind...

fletcher in central m/f should be the first name on the teamsheet for weds imo. with scholes suspended that would leaves hargreaves to partner fletcher, with nani on the right and giggs on the left. two of the three up front. anderson on the bench. o'shea into the centre of defence against chelsea.

that gives us a much better balanced side and a chance to rest one of the strikers for saturday and/or change things off the bench.

vds
wes - rio - vidic/o'shea - evra
nani - hargreaves - fletcher - giggs
rooney
berbatov

tevez rested to play against chelsea.
A pairing of Fletcher and Hargreaves gives me nightmares to be honest. I think it is possibly one of the poorer combinations we have. I think they have only played together once, West Ham away and we couldn't keep the ball at all.

Neither would I be too confident of O'Shea up teams with decent movement and pace. If O'Shea is to play, i'd rather him be out of the way at right back.

Unread 15-09-2008, 01:21 PM
redrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon

As for Wednesday...

Brown
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Cougar
Ando

Ronaldo
Rooney
Tevez

Berbs

What he said. Word for bloody word! Good post mate.

Unread 15-09-2008, 01:22 PM
dodger

Quote:
I'd like Foster to get a game actually.
His Knee's £#%&!ed, forget about him.

Why is nobody considering Gary Nev at right back?

Unread 15-09-2008, 01:24 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
His Knee's £#%&!ed, forget about him.

?
When did this happen, I hadn't heard anything?

He's in the CL squad?

Unread 15-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Don Stuarte

Quote:
No he shouldnt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
yes he should
Quote:
Nahh, he shouldn't.
Have you guys ever thought about taking a Law degree.

I can see a couple of fantastic futures as barristers going astray if you dont
Closed Thread