United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
He's a Young Defoe....

Hope he gets fit quickly......Vice head could have a very big season with United.
ffs

Unread 18-08-2008, 04:33 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
No chance he would have played ahead of Campbell imo mate. He is 17 ffs and has never even been on loan. He has only played for the reserves for one year.

Few on here think Wellbeck is the next Pele.
I suppose so.

It's sad though really, I don't have much hope about youngsters making it anymore, I think the twins and Possebon will possibly make it. That's about it.

Unread 18-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Wellbeck isn't great either.
Gotta ask, why do you think that mate? You reckon he isnt United quality?

Also, has anyone seen much of John Cofie?

Unread 18-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey
Gotta ask, why do you think that mate? You reckon he isnt United quality?

Also, has anyone seen much of John Cofie?
It's not that I don't think he has ability but it is virtually impossible to break through as a forward player at United these days. Hughes was the last striker we have brought through ffs. The competition is so fierce. I think he looks good but he is not outstanding imo. He has good feet and gets a few goals but that's about it from what I have seen. Perhaps he could have a future as a winger? I would like to see him in the first team a few times first though tbf before I can properly give my opinion.

I wish him the best of luck though.

Unread 18-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
It's not that I don't think he has ability but it is virtually impossible to break through as a forward player at United these days. Hughes was the last striker we have brought through ffs. The competition is so fierce. I think he looks good but he is not outstanding imo. He has good feet and gets a few goals but that's about it from what I have seen. Perhaps he could have a future as a winger? I would like to see him in the first team a few times first though tbf before I can properly give my opinion.

I wish him the best of luck though.
Another Theo Walcott?

I think you can get through if you show a glimpse of exceptional talent in your first few games in the first-team, but even Fergie is reticent to blood youngsters these days because you need 90 points to win the league.

Unread 18-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Danny Welbeck is a highly talented, skilful player who can play out wide or up front.

He has been likened by Sir Alex Ferguson to former Arsenal forward Nwankwo Kanu for his manner of play.

“He’s got a smooth and languid style,” says Paul McGuinness, his coach at Under-18 level. “But don’t let that fool you, it sometimes disguises the fact that he is a really hard worker.

“Danny is a very talented and skilful player with good all-round technique. He’s strong, quick, good defensively as well as going forward, and he’s a real leader, too. He is a good personality

to have around the dressing room.”

Welbeck played a prominent role in the Under-18s’ run to the FA Youth Cup final in 2006/07 when he was a schoolboy.

He’s also represented England at youth level and was called into the national team’s Under-17s squad to take part in the World Championships in Korea in summer 2007.

Could be a winger in the making?

Ive seen him a few times......Looks a good prospect.....Antwerp beckons

Unread 18-08-2008, 04:44 PM
JakeB

Quote:
Another Theo Walcott?

I think you can get through if you show a glimpse of exceptional talent in your first few games in the first-team, but even Fergie is reticent to blood youngsters these days because you need 90 points to win the league.
Just a bit. O'Shea coming on for Carrick when Possebon was sat on the bench displayed this perfectly.

Unread 18-08-2008, 04:45 PM
JakeB

I don't really see Welbeck as a winger, I have seen him play on the right for the reserves..just feel it wastes his talents out there a bit.

He's not particularly pacey or anything like that.

Unread 18-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Part 36 Offer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Another Theo Walcott?

Exactly mate.

Unread 18-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Vic Mackey

Two years ago I heard big things about Gibson, but he seeems slightly cumbersome and slow. Not sure what others think, but I dont he'll make it at United.

Cathcart looks like a strong contender though IMO.

Unread 18-08-2008, 04:59 PM
S/Side.Red

Fergie involved Welbeck with the first team squad a lot towards the end of last season. Didn't he also suggest that he was considering starting him against City when we were short of forwards? He seems impressed with him, anyway. You have to remember he's still only 17, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't given some chances this season.

Unread 18-08-2008, 05:05 PM
marlo stansfield

wellbeck is behind campbell in terms of everything.

people seem to think wellbeck is god. he was the only other striker we had which was why he went everywhere with the team last season.

Unread 18-08-2008, 05:14 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
wellbeck is behind campbell in terms of everything.

people seem to think wellbeck is god. he was the only other striker we had which was why he went everywhere with the team last season.
I don't think that was the only reason. No matter how bad our striker situation was, Fergie would never have played Welbeck at Camp Nou or in the Champions League final, yet he was still part of the first team squad at those games. It was significant, imo. It's just a much harder position to throw players of his age in, as they're expected to make an impact straight away.

Unread 18-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Two years ago I heard big things about Gibson, but he seeems slightly cumbersome and slow. Not sure what others think, but I dont he'll make it at United.

Cathcart looks like a strong contender though IMO.
Yeah he has regressed if anything.

Cathcart looks a player.

Unread 18-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Coracao

Welbeck is by far the best British prospect at United.

If he doesn't make it, then I can't see any British player making it for a considerable amount of time.

He was one of the best players in the entire youth cup whilst still at school, playing on the wing.

His best position, is centre forward. Where frankly he makes the guy of the same age Macheda, look pretty poor from what i've seen. And thats not to say that Macheda isn't a good player, but Welbeck pisses on him in almost every department.

If Welbeck doesn't have a better career than Campbell, then i'll show my arse on the town hall steps.

Confirmed

Unread 18-08-2008, 08:26 PM
rebelcountyred

Thumbs up

Foster

Unread 18-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao

If he doesn't make it, then I can't see any British player making it for a considerable amount of time.

He was one of the best players in the entire youth cup whilst still at school, playing on the wing.

His best position, is centre forward. Where frankly he makes the guy of the same age Macheda, look pretty poor from what i've seen. And thats not to say that Macheda isn't a good player, but Welbeck pisses on him in almost every department.

If Welbeck doesn't have a better career than Campbell, then i'll show my arse on the town hall steps.

Confirmed
Macheda isn't that good, not much better than Dong tbh.

Not sure Campbell and Wellbeck will make it here either. Ebanks-Blake was just as good a striker as either of them imo and he didnt get a look in - currently doing ok in the Championship.

Rossi was still head and shoulders above anything we've seen in the reserves since giggs/scholes et al and he didnt get much of a look in. people say its cos he's too small but fact is his level of performance was higher than any other reserve (including Saha/Ole/Smith when they played reserve). If Rossi couldnt make it, none of the current bunch can.

their glimmer of hope is we're not looking for the next Owen or Rooney to break through, we need the striking equivalent of a fletcher or o'shea (or Ole).

problem is striker is a position where people can't just slot in and make up the numbers - and thats why our strikers drown whereas the likes of O'Shea/Richardson can tread water for ages.

catch 22.

our reserves are looking absolutely shit btw. Gibson isn't doing £#%&!all for someone tipped for big things. Fabio looks like he's been relaxing for a year whilst poorer brotehr Rafael has worked his socks off. Midfield looks non-existent and Chelsea have been all over us.

and yet we're winning 1-0

Unread 18-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao

Confirmed
Army arse

Unread 19-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy

our reserves are looking absolutely shit btw. Gibson isn't doing £#%&!all for someone tipped for big things. Fabio looks like he's been relaxing for a year whilst poorer brotehr Rafael has worked his socks off. Midfield looks non-existent and Chelsea have been all over us.

and yet we're winning 1-0
It's not those ones who I'm interested in tbh. Some of those have been around for too long and like Martin/Eagles will move on to decent careers elsewhere. From what I've seen of the Milk Cup winning side that's the best group of kids we've had come through since the Beckham, Scholes era.

The Brazilian kids we've acquired have got fantastic potential.

Unread 19-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Gog Coch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
It's not those ones who I'm interested in tbh. Some of those have been around for too long and like Martin/Eagles will move on to decent careers elsewhere. From what I've seen of the Milk Cup winning side that's the best group of kids we've had come through since the Beckham, Scholes era.

The Brazilian kids we've acquired have got fantastic potential.
Up to the age of 25 you live on your potential,
After the age of 25 you live off your achievments.

Gog Coch - 2008
Closed Thread