Closed Thread

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Harri Jaffa

I think they are pretty similar in terms of history and status

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Madrid haven't got past the second round of the knock out of the European cup for a few years have they? I don't think just adding Ronaldo to their team will win it them, either.
Our defence won us the european cup last season. Ronaldo very nearly #@&%!ed it all up on his own by missing 2 vital penalties.

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Brenner

Having spent the day at The Bernabeu last Saturday doing the tour of the stadium and taking in the museum, I have to say Real are the bigger club, in terms of what they have achieved on the pitch both in Spain & in Europe.

31 La Liga Titles
17 Copa Del Rey's
7 Spanish Super Cup's
1 League Cup

9 European Cup's
3 Intercontinental Cup's
2 Waffer Thin Mint Cup's
1 Super Cup

I agree that they've only won the same amount of EC's as us since 1968 and are not the force they were, but when you go there and see the city of Madrid and its climate, the stadium and the club's history, it's no wonder most player's in Europe harbour a dream of playing for them at some stage in their careers.

Interesting fact - did you know that Real used United as consultants in how to promote and set out their museum & tour?

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:29 PM
The Watcher

31 League Championships
9 European Cups - including five in a row.
Di Stephano, Puskas, Gento, Butragueño, Raul, Figo, Ronaldo, Zidane.

No club in Europe can claim to be "bigger" imo.

However, United never needed state funding, bent referees and the assistance of our National Association in hijacking our opponents transfers in order to win what we have. It's quite incredible that the Club managed to be as successful as it has been since Munich. Compare to Torino, a club that never recovered from the loss of their greatest side.

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner
Having spent the day at The Bernabeu last Saturday doing the tour of the stadium and taking in the museum, I have to say Real are the bigger club, in terms of what they have achieved on the pitch both in Spain & in Europe.

31 La Liga Titles
17 Copa Del Rey's
7 Spanish Super Cup's
1 League Cup

9 European Cup's
3 Intercontinental Cup's
2 Waffer Thin Mint Cup's
1 Super Cup

I agree that they've only won the same amount of EC's as us since 1968 and are not the force they were, but when you go there and see the city of Madrid and its climate, the stadium and the club's history, it's no wonder most player's in Europe harbour a dream of playing for them at some stage in their careers.

Interesting fact - did you know that Real used United as consultants in how to promote and set out their museum & tour?

Yep. Our marketing department is the envy of world football. Clubs come to us to see how to 'enhance their global brand'.

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Billy Baroo

facist hanky waving, non current champions of europe

they might be bigger but we are better, thats why they keep trying to buy our players

donk army

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
31 League Championships
9 European Cups - including five in a row.
Di Stephano, Puskas, Gento, Butragueño, Raul, Figo, Ronaldo, Zidane.

No club in Europe can claim to be "bigger" imo.

However, United never needed state funding, bent referees and the assistance of our National Association in hijacking our opponents transfers in order to win what we have. It's quite incredible that the Club managed to be as successful as it has been since Munich. Compare to Torino, a club that never recovered from the loss of their greatest side.
Milan are bigger than Real Madrid, IMHO. They've had better players and more sustained success over a longer period. Milan are the most successful for international competition won with a record of 14 European trophies and 4 World titles. And At least Milan have been punished to an extent for their corruption.

La liga titles might as well be up there with the scottish league for all the competition they've had. Just look at it last season, £#%&!ing pathetic. How many clubs from La Liga have won the European Cup. 2. Compare that with 4 from england and 3 from italy and germany. We'd all walk our domestic competition if the government gave us free money and facist dictators sabotaged our opponents.

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:53 PM
edwin

From 66 until 1998, they had no European Cup successes at all.
A longer barren spell than we had

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Milan are bigger than Real Madrid, IMHO. They've had better players and more sustained success over a longer period. Milan are the most successful for international competition won with a record of 14 European trophies and 4 World titles. And At least Milan have been punished to an extent for their corruption.
Can't agree. Milan were a very average club living of past glories when Silvio Berlusconi took over. And he, much like Chelsea in recent, bought success. But this is overlooked because, unlike Chelsea, Milan have generally produced entertaining sides since. They had the most expensively ensembled squad in football history at the time they were reaching three European Cup finals in a row - just as Real Madrid had when they won five on the bounce!

Quote:
La liga titles might as well be up there with the scottish league for all the competition they've had. Just look at it last season, £#%&!ing pathetic. How many clubs from La Liga have won the European Cup. 2. Compare that with 4 from england and 3 from italy and germany. We'd all walk our domestic competition if the government gave us free money and facist dictators sabotaged our opponents.
I can't agree. Although La Liga, historically, hasn't been as competitive as the English League, it's always been one of the top European leagues. Cryuff, Di Stefano & Maradona all played in it after all. And I'm sure the La Liga title has been shared amongst a higher number of clubs in the last 15 years when compared to the Premiership.

Unread 11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Father Christmas

About the same. But of course neither has as much support as Newcastle United.

Unread 11-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I can't agree. Although La Liga, historically, hasn't been as competitive as the English League, it's always been one of the top European leagues. Cryuff, Di Stefano & Maradona all played in it after all. And I'm sure the La Liga title has been shared amongst a higher number of clubs in the last 15 years when compared to the Premiership.
Over the last 20 years La Liga has had 5 different champions compared to england's 6.

Real madrid
Barca
Atletico
Deportivo
Valencia

Liverpool
United
Arsenal
Leeds
Blackburn
Chelsea

Unread 11-07-2008, 04:07 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenner

31 La Liga Titles
17 Copa Del Rey's
7 Spanish Super Cup's
1 League Cup

9 European Cup's
3 Intercontinental Cup's
2 Waffer Thin Mint Cup's
1 Super Cup

What's the city like? Been Barcelona a couple of times but I imagine Madrid to be pretty different?

Regarding other 'big clubs' Madrid obviously are right up there. You usually think of the prestige and aura that clubs have whether they're big or not. I'm not being bias, but Liverpool don't have it. When I think of the big European Clubs who you hear about growing up etc you think of Milan, Juventus, Ajax, Barcelona and Real Madrid possibly Bayern Munich too. I'd put us in that bracket.

Unread 11-07-2008, 04:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Really, who cares?

I find this constant competition between the top clubs to be regarded as the best/greatest/biggest in world utterly tedious. Of course there are certain clubs in Europe which have and will always stand out on a wider scale for a number of reasons, but once you get into Real, Barca, United, Liverpool, Milan, Inter, Juve, Bayern, Benfica, Ajax territory, what’s the point in trying to dissect it further? They’ve all won everything going, been home to some of the world’s greatest players and produced some of the most memorable football teams to have played the game. And, of course, they’ll all hold varying status in different parts of the world or with different types/generations of football fans. That's how it'll always be.

Unread 11-07-2008, 04:08 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Over the last 20 years La Liga has had 5 different champions compared to england's 6.

Real madrid
Barca
Atletico
Deportivo
Valencia

Liverpool
United
Arsenal
Leeds
Blackburn
Chelsea
That's why I said 15 years

Unread 11-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
That's why I said 15 years
I prefer to go in even numbers.

Unread 11-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Brenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
What's the city like? Been Barcelona a couple of times but I imagine Madrid to be pretty different?
Bit like most european cities to be honest mate - some superb architecture, great bars & restaurants, plaza's, sites etc, then you turn a corner and there's grafitti all over the place and the roads are full of rubbish waiting for collection.

Will probably upload my photos tonight so look out for my Madrid Album and some fit spanish senora's

If you get the chance to go - do it

My BMI baby flights worked out at £100 approx return with everything (taxes, baggage etc)
Closed Thread