United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Luffy

I just hope our older players have enough energy left in them legs to carry us through when they're called upon (probably in the bigger games, champions league etc).

I can't help but think energy is the key to us winning in Europe. Scholes and Giggs are not mobile enough, especially in a midfield containing Ronaldo who is forward thinking and Hargreaves who is concerned with breaking play up.

ronaldo - scholes - hargreaves - giggs

I hope we never see that midfield as we'd look very statuesque and fail to run defences ragged the way we should.

Unread 23-02-2008, 10:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNew
The one time I though his team selection was DEFINITELY suspect was West Ham away, where if I remember rightly he played Hargreaves and Fletcher together. It meant our midfield was incredibly limited creatively.
That team still could and should've beaten westam. 1-0 up, untroubled and a penalty to finish them off. The game from then on was a freak.

Unread 23-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Flix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That team still could and should've beaten westam. 1-0 up, untroubled and a penalty to finish them off. The game from then on was a freak.
Was just gonna post the same thing. Although we didn't play well, the penalty should have put us 2 up and we conceded from 2 set pieces. You can't really blame Fletch & Hargy for that

Unread 24-02-2008, 02:11 PM
borsuk

just reflecting on the games yesterday again. arsenal really do look tired in a number of areas, and overdependent on one or two players to perform - unlike united. i can see them crumbling quite dramatically if milan turn them over in the return leg. anyway, the more i think about it the more i think fergie's management of the squad has put us in a great position this year.

Unread 24-02-2008, 02:40 PM
The Watcher

It's a weird one really - coming out the ground after the derby, I really thought our season was on the brink of collapse. Such an appalling performance. But the team has reacted perfectly, putting in great performances in the last three games. I just hope we can continue playing like this.

In the League, it's crucial we drop no points before Arsenal come to OT. We do that and I suspect we'll be even close to them in the table, perhaps even first.

FA Cup, we've got a good draw in the quarter finals and we should beat Pompey. I don't think there's anyway we'll be allowed to draw Chelsea in the semis so we really should be getting to the final again.

Europe, still a long way to go. Again, a good result against Lyon in the first leg - I really would be disappointed if we didn't beat them at OT. The confidence of getting so far last season will hopefully spur the side on. Although this is probably a minority view, it's the trophy I want most. However, given the squad we have and the position we're in, we really shouldn't be prioritizing one trophy over another.

Too soon to be talking about Trebles, but we are going along very nicely.

Unread 24-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
It's a weird one really - coming out the ground after the derby, I really thought our season was on the brink of collapse. Such an appalling performance. But the team has reacted perfectly, putting in great performances in the last three games. I just hope we can continue playing like this.

In the League, it's crucial we drop no points before Arsenal come to OT. We do that and I suspect we'll be even close to them in the table, perhaps even first.

FA Cup, we've got a good draw in the quarter finals and we should beat Pompey. I don't think there's anyway we'll be allowed to draw Chelsea in the semis so we really should be getting to the final again.

Europe, still a long way to go. Again, a good result against Lyon in the first leg - I really would be disappointed if we didn't beat them at OT. The confidence of getting so far last season will hopefully spur the side on. Although this is probably a minority view, it's the trophy I want most. However, given the squad we have and the position we're in, we really shouldn't be prioritizing one trophy over another.

Too soon to be talking about Trebles, but we are going along very nicely.
if we dont drop any points before playing arsenal, i expect we'll be in front.

There is no way i can see arsenal getting a win at stamford bridge

Unread 24-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Coracao

United

1st March - Fulham (away)
15th March - Derby (away)
23rd March - Liverpool (Home)
30th March - Villa (Home)
6th April - Boro (Away)

Then Arsenal on 13th

Arsenal

1st March - Villa (Home)
8th - Wigan (AwaY
15th - Boro (Home)
23rd - Chelsea (Away)
29th - Bolton (Away)
5th Apil - Liverpool (Home)

Unread 24-02-2008, 03:00 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
United

1st March - Fulham (away)
15th March - Derby (away)
23rd March - Liverpool (Home)
30th March - Villa (Home)
6th April - Boro (Away)

Then Arsenal on 13th

Arsenal

1st March - Villa (Home)
8th - Wigan (AwaY
15th - Boro (Home)
23rd - Chelsea (Away)
29th - Bolton (Away)
5th Apil - Liverpool (Home)
I didn't realize they play CHelsea before coming to OT

Scousers at home and Boro away look the only games where we may drop points. But I agree, if we win those five games we probably will be top when they turn up. Arsenal needing a win at OT would be perfect for us, as it would force Wengers side to attack.
Closed Thread