United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-02-2008, 01:13 PM
S/Side.Red

According to a few reports I've read United have the option to re-sign Rossi for a fee similar to the one we received from Villarreal last summer, but the clause is only valid for this summer. If that's the case, surely we'll buy him back and sell him on at a profit if we don't want him. He's probably worth double the £6m odd we sold him for.

Unread 07-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo stansfield
there is a myth that rossi didnt get any games or wasnt given the chance.
i cant understand it.

he got a few chances for united and didnt look ready and then went to newcastle where he didnt get in the team. he is doing well but lets not use that criticise the club because we have rooney and tevez at the moment and a young wellbeck who is more what we need.

rossi also wouldnt like to see tevez come into the team and be ahead of him in the pecking order when really that should be the case because tevez is alot better than him.
If Glen Roeder wasn't the manager at Newcastle we'd still have Rossi at United now

Unread 07-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
According to a few reports I've read United have the option to re-sign Rossi for a fee similar to the one we received from Villarreal last summer, but the clause is only valid for this summer. If that's the case, surely we'll buy him back and sell him on at a profit if we don't want him. He's probably worth double the £6m odd we sold him for.
Would seem dumb not to

Unread 07-02-2008, 01:22 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyuiop
The real failure was in not bringing in someone in place of Saha.
You're right. Selling Rossi perhaps wasn't the mistake. Not spending the money we got for him was.

Unread 07-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Darth Vidic

Quote:
there is a myth that rossi didnt get any games or wasnt given the chance.
i cant understand it.

he got a few chances for united and didnt look ready and then went to newcastle where he didnt get in the team. he is doing well but lets not use that criticise the club because we have rooney and tevez at the moment and a young wellbeck who is more what we need.

rossi also wouldnt like to see tevez come into the team and be ahead of him in the pecking order when really that should be the case because tevez is alot better than him.
Roeder used him like an idiot.

DId you watch him at Parma? Everything about his play was what you'd expect from a United player. We could have used him at the start of the season when Tevez was unfit, but Fergie decided to use Giggs up front so its not suprising he lost patience

Unread 07-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic
We could have used him at the start of the season when Tevez was unfit, but Fergie decided to use Giggs up front so its not suprising he lost patience
Er, we sold him before the start of the season.

Unread 07-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Spiffy

Why am I not surprised? Failed striker at United excels in Spain.

Question for you, is it us that can't develop strikers or is Spain so easy to score in? If it's the latter, why don't we ever get a hatful of goals when we play against the Spaniards?

Name me a striker who came through the ranks at United and did well enough to stay in the first team. Mark Hughes? any more recent?

Unread 07-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Gazw649

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I've still to hear a proper justfication for selling him. Apart from us beng skint of course.
He is no taller than the average 10 year old?

Unread 07-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazw649
He is no taller than the average 10 year old?
And that Maradona bloke was a bleeding giant wasn't he.

And Zola etc......

Unread 07-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Gazw649

Exceptions to the rule Mr. Insanity

Unread 07-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Darth Vidic

Quote:
Er, we sold him before the start of the season.
Yep, but we knew Tevez wasn't going to be ready for the start of the season and I think we only had Rooney fit at the time. Fergie could have told him that he would give him a chance at the start of the season alongside Rooney. If he still wasn't satisfied there would still have been time for him to have been sold.

Unread 07-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Why am I not surprised? Failed striker at United excels in Spain.

Question for you, is it us that can't develop strikers or is Spain so easy to score in? If it's the latter, why don't we ever get a hatful of goals when we play against the Spaniards?

Name me a striker who came through the ranks at United and did well enough to stay in the first team. Mark Hughes? any more recent?
Excelled with Parma too.
He's done more in italy and spain that Henry has done or did.

Unread 07-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I'm sure the contract doesn't involve putting a gun to his head and making him re-sign.

Why would he re-join United when he still wouldn't be first choice?

Unread 07-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazw649
Exceptions to the rule Mr. Insanity
So applying your rule Peter Crouch should be the best Striker in the World then ????

Unread 07-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Tiberian

It is remarkable how his spell at Newcastle is used against Rossi. Under a poor manager whose way of using him was as a target man trying to win aerial balls.

Rossi and Tevez had similar seasons last year, first half of the season struggled to get into their sides, second half both played crucial roles in keeping their sides from relegation. Statistically Rossi was more successful. Strangely Rossi's impact was considered unimportant while Tevez became a must buy because of his.

Rossi got 14 games spread over 2/3 years, never got a run in the side to settle in and play with the first team.

The lad is a genuine talent, technically excellent with an eye for a goal. The only issue was his physique, but that is surmountable in a footballing team.

Unread 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Tumescent Throb

Rossi could have made it at United, but he needed time. At Parma and Villarreal he could just walk right on in to their attack knowing his place was as good as guaranteed.

I remembver a £6m bid coming in for one of our reserve strikers back in 98. The player was made aware of the interest in him, told that the bid had been accepted and asked to think it over. He had a contract with United, chose to stay, and the rest is history.

Rossi doesn't have the lifestyle Ole had, though. He's young and he has his own story to write. Be rude to stand in his way; United did the right thing - for Rossi.

Unread 07-02-2008, 11:40 PM
Luffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Rossi could have made it at United, but he needed time. At Parma and Villarreal he could just walk right on in to their attack knowing his place was as good as guaranteed.

I remembver a £6m bid coming in for one of our reserve strikers back in 98. The player was made aware of the interest in him, told that the bid had been accepted and asked to think it over. He had a contract with United, chose to stay, and the rest is history.

Rossi doesn't have the lifestyle Ole had, though. He's young and he has his own story to write. Be rude to stand in his way; United did the right thing - for Rossi.
Agreed, if Rossi stayed he Could have eventually forced his way in given injuries etc, but he doesnt want to be 3rd or 4th choice for awhile as that halts his development and puts a question mark over his potential.

He needed regular games to forge his career and improve his game and he's walking the path to become an international star for Italy and earning a move to a really big club. He is the best u21 Italy have by quite a margin so its likely he'll be one of their best in years to come.

I still rate him higher than Tevez, his vision, skill and goal scoring ability are second to none. Will be one of the best in the world given the right environment.

People say David Villa is worth £25+m and I'd take Rossi ahead of him.

Unread 07-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
his vision, skill and goal scoring ability are second to none
You crack me up. Give your £#%&!ing head a wobble.

His U21 record is unremarkable by the way. He'd have a full cap already if he was half as good as you claim.

Unread 07-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Whalefish

I honestly don't think he'd have had the same impact at Utd that Tevez has had this season. He'd be alright as a 3rd or 4th choice striker but I don't think he'd ever be first choice material not with Rooney and Tevez at the club.

As Vio said elsewhere, folk really do underestimate how good he is and he will be a better player next season with a decent break and a full pre-season.

I really can't be arsed to comment on this topic any further. Waste of time and some of the praise slung at the kids feet is very touching but I just don't see anything other than a decent striker. I'm pleased he's doing well like, but end of the day that's about it.

Unread 08-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Part 36 Offer

Default Jesus wept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy

I still rate him higher than Tevez, his vision, skill and goal scoring ability are second to none. Will be one of the best in the world given the right environment.

One too many spliffs tonight Luffy.
Closed Thread