United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-04-2023, 10:56 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Yes, they’ll blow it. City are considerably better and Arsenal know it.

Think it will be closer than I originally thought though and I cling on to hope that they keep going. Jesus back is very good. Weirdly haaland coming back might unsettle city.
Haaland is bloody effective, but city looked better today without him.

Would Arsenal losing it from here even be ‘blowing it’? They could win 14 of their last 16 games still and lose it.

Unread 01-04-2023, 11:00 PM
jem

arsenal's run since playing city has been against dross. bournemouth could have beaten them. it will be close. they'll need all of the lead they have.

Unread 01-04-2023, 11:02 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
arsenal's run since playing city has been against dross. bournemouth could have beaten them. it will be close. they'll need all of the lead they have.
It’s 7 wins in a row. Difficult at any time, especially coming off the back of 1 point from 9 and everyone expecting City to kick on. City have dropped points to dross in the meantime. After city beat them, not many would say they’d be further ahead 7 games later.

Agree with the last sentence.

Unread 01-04-2023, 11:46 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
No shit? 5 points can disappear in a week. They’ve got Anfield coming up before that.

Even if they avoid defeat, I still wouldn’t call them dead certs. Just favourites.
If City don’t beat them there is just no way they’re choking.

And they’re 8 clear not 5. I’m not assuming City don’t draw their game in hand etc seeing as they’ve slipped in some games that are uncharacteristic for them.

Unread 01-04-2023, 11:52 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
If City don’t beat them there is just now way they’re choking.

And they’re 8 clear not 5. I’m not assuming City don’t draw their game in hand etc seeing as they’ve slipped in some games that are uncharacteristic for them.
As my post above, it wouldn’t need to be a choke. Everyone saying they will or won’t ‘blow it’. There’s 9-10 games to go. Their lead could go as early as 8 days from now. They could win 14 of their last 16 matches and not win the league. It’s close as it stand and there’s still 30 points left to play for and plenty of dodgy fixtures and permutations for both.

If there was 5 games to go and then, yes, it would be choking.

Unread 01-04-2023, 11:59 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
No shit? 5 points can disappear in a week. They’ve got Anfield coming up before that.

Even if they avoid defeat, I still wouldn’t call them dead certs. Just favourites.
I just don’t see City winning more or less every match. And if they don’t beat Arsenal it’s going to be a real uphill struggle for them to topple them.

Unread 02-04-2023, 09:19 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I just don’t see City winning more or less every match. And if they don’t beat Arsenal it’s going to be a real uphill struggle for them to topple them.
I think Arsenal will win it. I think they’re favourites and city are just a notch off what they’ve been, but the gap just isn’t that big in the scheme of things. It can change quickly (as we saw a few weeks back. Arsenal picked up 1 point from 9 in the space of ten days. That could happen again outside of the City game). We’re not into collapse territory yet imo.

Unread 02-04-2023, 10:31 AM
Stickman

Glad we agree. 🧃🐸

Unread 02-04-2023, 11:26 AM
windy waffles

They're playing very well.

Can't see them blowing it now.

Unread 02-04-2023, 11:30 AM
Fat Al

Be funny to see Arsenal blow it & City win the league.

Only to then be expelled from the PL.

Unread 02-04-2023, 12:47 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Be funny to see Arsenal blow it & City win the league.

Only to then be expelled from the PL.
That would be £#%&!ing beautiful.

Unread 02-04-2023, 12:52 PM
Hyman_Roth

Anyone fancy a gentlemen’s bet between city/arse with losing cash going to a charity of the winners choice?

If city win I’ll feel better that a charity has had a bit of fish and if city lose, I’ll be delighted so won’t mind handing over the cash.

Sensible bets only kind of thing….

Unread 02-04-2023, 01:23 PM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Every year
You’re the only thing keeping me from the razor blades. Tell me it’s not happening so I can sleep, at least.

Unread 02-04-2023, 02:10 PM
ZiggyStardust

If Arsenal win at Anfield next up then they’ll win the league

Unread 02-04-2023, 03:13 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Arsenal would not be "blowing it" if they come second. City win the game in hand it goes to 5. City win the home fixture vs Arsenal as would be expected its at 2. 2 points with 8 to play is nothing. Looking at the table as it stands today without deriving context from fixtures left to play is foolhardy. Odds wise its still basically on a knife edge .. City practically evens .. that does not constitute 'blowing it'.

From there, in the remaining 8 Arsenal have got 2 tough away fixtures in L'pool/Newcastle, plus the derby with Chelsea. City have got basically nothing, other than a home fixture w/ Chelsea.

City will be sizeable favourites to win every game they've got left to play. Big ones for Arsenal will be at Anfield + St James'. Odds are they wouldn't win both those away fixtures, which if they didn't would put the ball back in City's court. Still a very tight race.

Unread 02-04-2023, 06:41 PM
red in cumbria

Games are not decided on paper, city have blown enough "easy" points this campaign to make you think there is a good chance they will drop a few more.

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:47 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Games are not decided on paper, city have blown enough "easy" points this campaign to make you think there is a good chance they will drop a few more.
Exactly this.

There’s a scenario of course where Arsenal come 2nd without actually “blowing it” but if City do win it from here, I only see them doing it off the back of Arsenal blowing it. Mainly due to City’s unpredictability against some of the less fancied sides this season.

Unread 26-04-2023, 09:48 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
They're playing very well.

Can't see them blowing it now.
Saged it

Unread 26-04-2023, 10:05 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Yes.

City have got a piss easy run in, their only difficult game is Arsenal. And while that’s a hard game, it’s also a chance to inflict a huge blow on their competition.

Arsenal have 4/5 tough matches, starting with the scousers away.

Hope I’m wrong obviously, but can’t see it.
Hate being right so often, but particularly about this.

Few of us were saying back as far as the start of February that Arsenal’s arse was going and city would just stroll it. Tbh I thought they would be above them by now, but then again it’s only by virtue of the fixture list that they’re not.

£#%&! City.

Unread 26-04-2023, 10:07 PM
AK14

I expected them to have a blip and recover but they’ve absolutely thrown it away.
Closed Thread