United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-05-2017, 06:10 AM
Marlon Van Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
2 goals in the last 5 games has me wondering have we completely lost all attacking impoteus at the most important time.

We've not been great all season but watching Mkhitaryan and Lingard up front tonight, it's shocking how easy they are to nullify. Rashford good but still too young to shoulder it all.

Ajax appear to be free scoring but suspect at the back - only problem there is that we pass up chances for fun
I find myself actually agreeing with Sparky's doom for once

Last night was an utter shambles of a performance going forward. This is not not what I expect from a Manchester United side playing in a European semi-final.

The biggest concern for me is we have actually stopped creating any chances to score goals. The side is so one paced and looks devoid of any ideas of how to break teams down. The only time last night when I had a flicker of a missed heart beat from the excitement of an attack other than the goal was Rashford's turn of pace in the Celta box half way through the second half. Other than that I was in a coma induced bore fest.

None of the front six other than Rashford offered any kind of threat last night to Celta's back four. WTF has happened to Miki? the guy has disappeared up his own arse and as for the like of Lingard and Fellaini..... they are not and will never be good enough to play for Manchester United, abysmal footballers.

I am dreading the final now Bailly stupidly got himself sent off. United will be there for the taking imo. I honestly cannot wait for the season to end and for a lot of that squad to be moved on. I just hope and pray my faith in Jose is not misplaced as we have been way to negative for my liking in the last few months, especially at home. I' am trying think positive thoughts as Jose is playing with a limited pack at the moment, no excuses next season though.

Unread 12-05-2017, 06:27 AM
shenwen

Not scapegoating, but I still don't get Lingard.

Like his attitude but don't see what he adds. Sub at best.

Unread 12-05-2017, 06:39 AM
puressence

lingard being blamed again .. in this formation as such jose has to trust the wideman to go up and down its not ideal but martial has just started to added this to his game and mata gets caught out ,how about look for positives instead of dragging up another thread like ones you have done similar .. must be killing you and you boyfriend to see rashford getting all these plaudits ..imagine not rating rashford and wanting him out onloan to a championship team

Unread 12-05-2017, 06:49 AM
ziggyman17

Mata has to play in the final.. Always pops up with a goal, the only player we have who gets into good positions in and around the 6yard box..

Unread 12-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Mr_Ed

Get Martial and Mata on instead. Lingers is a good squad player but that's about it.

Martial just needs a run of games

Unread 12-05-2017, 08:13 AM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
that's a £#%&!ing brilliant autocorrect
Bumfluff Ian

Unread 12-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

Particularly at home.

Useful pace and movement on the counter away from home, but when teams are sitting a bit deeper at ours, he offers very little.

Works hard, good attitude, worthy of a squad place, but shouldn't really be starting games if Mata and Martial are available.

Unread 12-05-2017, 01:39 PM
rockored2

Unread 12-05-2017, 01:42 PM
itisme_panaflex

wouldn't mind to see lingard get a more central role. He recycles the ball well. Yeah that's right, I did just write recycles the ball well.

But yeah, overall we should be worried. Next season could be horrific if we don't beat ajax.

Unread 12-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisme_panaflex
wouldn't mind to see lingard get a more central role. He recycles the ball well. Yeah that's right, I did just write recycles the ball well.

Unread 12-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

Unread 12-05-2017, 05:04 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Particularly at home.

Useful pace and movement on the counter away from home, but when teams are sitting a bit deeper at ours, he offers very little.

Works hard, good attitude, worthy of a squad place, but shouldn't really be starting games if Mata and Martial are available.
Lots of players would work hard and have a good attitude if given a chance, but if you're not good enough you're not good enough; simple as that.

Lingard offers nothing but movement, and it's not even smart movement. If this is the new United standard -even squad level- then we're £#%&!ed.

Unread 12-05-2017, 05:07 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Lots of players would work hard and have a good attitude if given a chance, but if you're not good enough you're not good enough; simple as that.

Lingard offers nothing but movement, and it's not even smart movement. If this is the new United standard -even squad level- then we're £#%&!ed.
He has a good shot on him. He's capable of some good one touch stuff in and around the box. He has some attributes that stop him being totally useless and shit @#%&!.....but he generally isn't very good and, as you say, it's a poor reflection of our standards if he's first choice..which he seems to be these days.

Unread 12-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Bunker Buster

Better at shooting than Pogba....

Unread 12-05-2017, 05:10 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
I'll reserve comparing until Lingard attempts 5 off-balance speculative pot-shots per game.

Unread 12-05-2017, 05:13 PM
ziggyman17

Simple.. win the league next season or your out of a job.. sickens me that this shit Chelsea team could win a double.. I know I sound like a scouser, but if Fergie was still in his pomp we would have won the last 5 titles..

Unread 12-05-2017, 05:22 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
He has a good shot on him. He's capable of some good one touch stuff in and around the box. He has some attributes that stop him being totally useless and shit @#%&!.....but he generally isn't very good and, as you say, it's a poor reflection of our standards if he's first choice..which he seems to be these days.
He's part of an overall problem which just happens to be our biggest imo. Our forwards, for varying reasons, are just not very good. In Rashfords case it's understandable, he's learning his trade but he does well and contributes. In Martials case he's lazy and doesn't know what he should be doing, Mikhy is mentally fragile and Mata is a great player who happens to be slow and weak. Rooney is finished and Lingard is useless. Mourinho has been banging on about it all season, we just don't score enough goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Horses of a different colour, but yes Pogbas shooting has been dreadful.

Unread 12-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
Simple.. win the league next season or your out of a job.. sickens me that this shit Chelsea team could win a double.. I know I sound like a scouser, but if Fergie was still in his pomp we would have won the last 5 titles..
Really? We haven't challenged for a league title in 4 years or even been anywhere near it...yet you say 'win the league or get out'?

The Leicester freak show and Chelsea's ridiculous downing of tools last season aside, how many sides have shot up from 5/6th to win the league the next season?

Unread 12-05-2017, 05:30 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

I've defended him in the past, but last night he was really anonymous. Home semi final like that, playing as one of our wide attackers- you've got to do more. He offered nothing all game really. He might run about a lot but you neee more than that, Rashers wide and Martial up top might be a decent shout to try in one of the next couple games.

Unread 12-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
He's part of an overall problem which just happens to be our biggest imo. Our forwards, for varying reasons, are just not very good. In Rashfords case it's understandable, he's learning his trade but he does well and contributes. In Martials case he's lazy and doesn't know what he should be doing, Mikhy is mentally fragile and Mata is a great player who happens to be slow and weak. Rooney is finished and Lingard is useless. Mourinho has been banging on about it all season, we just don't score enough goals.

Horses of a different colour, but yes Pogbas shooting has been dreadful.
Don't really disagree with any of that.

We've seen flashes of quality from martial, mikhi and Mata, but we've rarely had all our forwards firing at the same time. Martial's best spell coincided with Rashfords difficult spell. Mkihi best spell was when Zlatan wasn't firing.

When zlatan got injured, it was crucial that the supporting cast stepped up. Martial did initially. So did Rashford......but mikhi has been disappointing recently and Martial is so frustratingly up and down. We need more than just Rashford. We saw that last night.
Closed Thread