United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-04-2017, 03:02 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
Has there any player they've wanted over the past 20 years that they have failed to sign? Can't think of any
The biggest names at Barca, Bayern and United for starters.

Fax machine.

Unread 19-04-2017, 03:05 PM
itisme_panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
The biggest names at Barca, Bayern and United for starters.

Fax machine.
Ronaldo, kross and Figo just called..

Said you can figure out the rest.

Unread 19-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisme_panaflex

Tell them thanks but I'm happily married.

Unread 19-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Wait until the summer...

Unread 19-04-2017, 04:07 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck

Unread 19-04-2017, 04:47 PM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisme_panaflex

kriss?

Unread 19-04-2017, 05:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudored
They have won 7 really. The first 5 should not count. Well maybe count them as 1 win.

Very petty, but there is a little truth in it. They won five-in-a-row when German football was still semi-pro and the Dutch were just turning pro. After the emergence of those countries and English football taking Europe seriously, Madrid went 35 years without winning it.

They also have the highest ratio over the last twenty years of winning the competition without looking that great a side

Unread 19-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Very petty, but there is a little truth in it. They won five-in-a-row when German football was still semi-pro and the Dutch were just turning pro. After the emergence of those countries and English football taking Europe seriously, Madrid went 35 years without winning it.

They also have the highest ratio over the last twenty years of winning the competition without looking that great a side
So if the Busby babes had won a european cup before they were tragically killed we wouldn't be counting it?

Righty.

Unread 19-04-2017, 05:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
So if the Busby babes had won a european cup before they were tragically killed we wouldn't be counting it?

Righty.
I didn't say they shouldn't count. I said it was petty, just I can see where he's coming from

You talk a lot about this competition kicking sides in the balls. Madrid don't count over the last twenty years.

Won it in '98; finished 4th in La Liga.
Won it in '00; finished 5th in La Liga.
Won it in '02; finished 3rd in La Liga.
Won it in '14; finished 3rd in La Liga.
Won it in '16; finished 2nd in La Liga.

@#%&!s

Unread 19-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I didn't say they shouldn't count. I said it was petty, just I can see where he's coming from

You talk a lot about this competition kicking sides in the balls. Madrid don't count over the last twenty years.

Won it in '98; finished 4th in La Liga.
Won it in '00; finished 5th in La Liga.
Won it in '02; finished 3rd in La Liga.
Won it in '14; finished 3rd in La Liga.
Won it in '16; finished 2nd in La Liga.

c***s
yeah but let's get it right, if you fall more than a game or two behind in la liga you may as well just focus on the CL. as i'm sure barcelona will be doing tonight.

Unread 19-04-2017, 06:57 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
yeah but let's get it right, if you fall more than a game or two behind in la liga you may as well just focus on the CL. as i'm sure barcelona will be doing tonight.
These days, maybe. But those first three not as much.

Similar with Milan under Ancelotti. Lacked the consistency for league challenges a lot of the time, but Pirlo and Seedorf often turned it on in Europe. They should have been much more assertive in Serie A with the talent they had during that period.

Unread 19-04-2017, 07:00 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
These days, maybe. But those first three not as much.

Similar with Milan under Ancelotti. Lacked the consistency for league challenges a lot of the time, but Pirlo and Seedorf often turned it on in Europe. They should have been much more assertive in Serie A with the talent they had during that period.
98 i'll give you - worst real team to make the final since 81 ;-}

but the 00 team, and especially the 02 team were assembled specifically to win the CL i'd say.

Unread 19-04-2017, 07:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
98 i'll give you - worst real team to make the final since 81 ;-}

but the 00 team, and especially the 02 team were assembled specifically to win the CL i'd say.
I dunno. Awful defence, kid in goal, guys like Mcmanaman, Geremi, Savio in midfield. Manager had been hired as a likely stop-gap etc.

Then Perez took over...

Unread 19-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I dunno. Awful defence, kid in goal, guys like Mcmanaman, Geremi, Savio in midfield. Manager had been hired as a likely stop-gap etc.

Then Perez took over...
damn.

Unread 19-04-2017, 07:11 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
damn.

When they knocked us out that year, wasn't Ivan Campo playing for them?

Unread 19-04-2017, 07:41 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:

When they knocked us out that year, wasn't Ivan Campo playing for them?
i remember cole missing a great chance with a header over there, and keane missing a sitter for 1-1 to make up for his OG ...

also seem to remember us at OT not ringing the box at our own corners and letting them out easy peasy again and again.

Unread 19-04-2017, 08:28 PM
red in cumbria

Their manager getting the sack after winning it in 1998 still tickles me

Unread 19-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Pretty sure that Liverpool and Chelsea both have a higher ratio

Unread 20-04-2017, 02:21 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 times
Has there any player they've wanted over the past 20 years that they have failed to sign? Can't think of any
Vieira

Unread 24-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Swagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth

China calling? Could see him playing under AVB tbh.
Closed Thread