United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-02-2014, 11:16 AM
elephantstone

it died when we pulled out of the fa cup in 2000

Unread 20-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Mr Castro

It's appalling but you can't measure the league against Bayern and Barca, it has to be the general performance.

Soon enough England will lose a place in the Champions League I think. In the years 2011/12 and 2012/13 4 English teams went out at the group stage, and only one made it past the second round.

You can blame certain circumstances, but at the moment the cold truth is English teams aren't good enough. Chelsea was a fluke.

Unread 20-02-2014, 11:21 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

English football being shit compared to these is because th coaching is shite and needs overhauling
Is Trevor brooking still in charge of it?

Unread 20-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthwillriseagain
English football being shit compared to these is because th coaching is shite and needs overhauling
Is Trevor brooking still in charge of it?
couldn't agree more but what's that got to do with Wenger and Pellegrini's teams going out?

Unread 20-02-2014, 12:00 PM
barca99

Overall the premiership is better than la liga and bundesliga imo.

Just because probably the two best teams in the world beat 2 english teams it doesn't change that

Unread 20-02-2014, 12:06 PM
Tumescent Throb

In fairness Arsenal were all over Bayern's defence last night and should have taken the lead. I reckon they would have continued in the same vein had Ozil not fluffed his lines. Whilst it was clearly Barca's superiority that eventually forced City to go to 10 by professional foul, Arsenal going to 10 changed the game last night.

Unread 20-02-2014, 12:11 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
Overall the premiership is better than la liga and bundesliga imo.

Just because probably the two best teams in the world beat 2 english teams it doesn't change that
The money is more equally distributed amongst the premiership than in those leagues with La Liga's cash all being hoovered up by the big 2 and there not really being any silly money in bundesliga football but instead a healthy profit made by well run teams.

We use the top end european competitions to compare those finishing up the table but I reckon the teams in the lower mid table are stronger in the premier league than other leagues. Although having read that back now it does seem worringly close to "could Messi do it on a wet Wednesday in Stoke"

Unread 20-02-2014, 01:03 PM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
How many times will we hear the premier league is the best League in the world?

Barca rocked up on Tuesday night and a squad that cost a fortune with players on stupid wages couldn't get the ball for long periods. And when they did, they either went long or gave it back. Then all we here is 'plucky 10 man city'. £#%&! off!

Last night Bayern taught Barcelona lite a lesson. Almost 80% possession for the away team. Arsenal looked like they'd never played football before.

yet these are 2 of the 4 teams fighting for the title ffs. With Liverpool being one of the four. A team that isn't even playing European football.

Best League in the world eh?

Whilst I suppose one needs to define "best". It is the best league IMHO . Barca and bayern are exceptions to best teams . But for competition, the football I like to watch, global audience, fairness of finances from tv and not forgone Conclusions to results it is the best.

Unread 20-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
In fairness Arsenal were all over Bayern's defence last night and should have taken the lead. I reckon they would have continued in the same vein had Ozil not fluffed his lines. Whilst it was clearly Barca's superiority that eventually forced City to go to 10 by professional foul, Arsenal going to 10 changed the game last night.
Disagree to a point. Arsenal did start brilliantly, but that penalty/red came just as Bayern we're starting to turn the screw. They're not always the quickest of starters and even in the first half where they were relatively poor, they still controlled the game after the first 10-15 and, even if boggle had scored, I still think Bayern would have won. They're utterly lethal this season.

Unread 20-02-2014, 01:46 PM
ZiggyStardust

Bayern and Barca are the only sides that can go away to a top European club and completely dominate the game and make the opposition look like some conference side trying to take on Premier League top 4 side

I thought it would take a good few years for the rest of Europe to catch up to the level of footballing perfection that we have seen from Barca over the last few years however Bayern have managed it and if anything they are a more complete version Pep's Barca

The galling thing from a Utd perspective is that Bayern have done what we should have done since 2008-09
They got an even bigger hiding off Barca in 2008-09 season but unlike ourselves they didn't take it lying down but brought in Van Gaal to completely change the footballing philosophy of the club to a total football possession style
Heynckes and Pep have carried this on and improved upon it

Bayern had a vision on where they wanted to get to but where has our vision for the future been since getting completely outplayed by Barca in 2009
We should have learned a lesson from that match and come up with a vision and plan for how we would catch up to Barca's level
Instead we sold Ronaldo and signed Valencia, Alien Head and Owen as well all that other shite we've signed since 2009
Bayern have spent less than us since then and have a lower wage bill so there are no excuses like blaming it on the Glazers (who I despise)

It's a common problem in English football, there is no vision in most clubs about how they want there side to play

What I would give for Pep to take over at Utd. Even if he was only here for 3 or 4 years he would leave a blueprint for how Utd should play that future managers / coaches would carry on

Unread 20-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
where has our vision for the future been since getting completely outplayed by Barca in 2009
Does this face look like it gives a £#%&! about playing philosophy or success on the field?

Unread 20-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Johnaldo

ENGLUSH LEYUG MUST BE BETTAH COS OF THE FAIRNESS OF THE FINASUS IN COMPARISHUN TO SPAIN AND GERMANY.

Log the £#%&! off pal

Unread 20-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Bayern and Barca are the only sides that can go away to a top European club and completely dominate the game and make the opposition look like some conference side trying to take on Premier League top 4 side

I thought it would take a good few years for the rest of Europe to catch up to the level of footballing perfection that we have seen from Barca over the last few years however Bayern have managed it and if anything they are a more complete version Pep's Barca

The galling thing from a Utd perspective is that Bayern have done what we should have done since 2008-09
They got an even bigger hiding off Barca in 2008-09 season but unlike ourselves they didn't take it lying down but brought in Van Gaal to completely change the footballing philosophy of the club to a total football possession style

Bayern had a vision on where they wanted to get to but where has our vision for the future been since getting completely outplayed by Barca in 2009
We should have learned a lesson from that match and come up with a vision and plan for how we would catch up to Barca's level
Instead we sold Ronaldo and signed Valencia, Alien Head and Owen as well all that other shite we've signed since 2009
Bayern have spent less than us since then and have a lower wage bill so there are no excuses like blaming it on the Glazers (who I despise)

It's a common problem in English football, there is no vision in most clubs about how they want there side to play

What I would give for Pep to take over at Utd. Even if he was only here for 3 or 4 years he would leave a blueprint for how Utd should play that future managers / coaches would carry on
he's gagging for United, nqat.

Unread 20-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Nearly right.

We're gagging for him.

The more I think about, the more the Moyes thing gets to me. As if that £#%&!ing dinosaur is going to be able to out think European elite.

What the £#%&! was Fergie thinking.

Unread 20-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
Nearly right.

We're gagging for him.
Both imo. He said he'll retire after the World Cup 'unless a big challenge comes along'. Unless he was referring to getting Wolves back into the premier league.

Unread 20-02-2014, 02:08 PM
VodkaAndCoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
What the £#%&! was Fergie thinking.
Better not bring in a top manager, he might get United playing dynamic football. Tell you what, I'll bring in a dinosaur who'll make me look even better.

Unread 20-02-2014, 02:12 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by VodkaAndCoke
Better not bring in a top manager, he might get United playing dynamic football. Tell you what, I'll bring in a dinosaur who'll make me look even better.
Quote:
"The aim is to win at least 1-0 so the worst we get is extra time."
Football taught by David Moyes

Unread 20-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Aman27deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Just like when Jose was sucking up to SAF exactly a year ago? Not gonna happen.

Unread 20-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Guy Incognito

Quote:

Why not Van Gaal after the World cup?

Unread 20-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito
Why not Van Gaal after the World cup?
Good point. Moyes' contract is up after the World Cup.

The 2018 World Cup!
Closed Thread