United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
i can't understand why people seem to underate the italian teams when their league is better than the german and french league.
Relativity.

Serie A has fallen from an amazing height. For 15 or more years it was by far the best league in the world. Nobody would have ever said that about Ligue 1, and not many about the Bundesliga.

So while Serie A is today still better than those two, it gets slated because of its precipitous decline relative to its former standing.

Unread 11-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Relativity.

Serie A has fallen from an amazing height. For 15 or more years it was by far the best league in the world. Nobody would have ever said that about Ligue 1, and not many about the Bundesliga.

So while Serie A is today still better than those two, it gets slated because of its precipitous decline relative to its former standing.
Pretty much summed up by the Co-efficient

Shows the top ranked league over the years.

Unread 11-05-2009, 02:59 PM
dodger

If Lyon may not qualify for the champions league does that mean Benzema is likely to be available?

Unread 11-05-2009, 03:33 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Pretty much summed up by the Co-efficient

Shows the top ranked league over the years.
God damn Liverpool fans

Unread 11-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
God damn Liverpool fans
that's waht Liverpool FC secretly think as well

they'd probably have spawned the 85 final for a start off

Unread 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
that's waht Liverpool FC secretly think as well

they'd probably have spawned the 85 final for a start off
It's Everton I feel for. They'd have won a European Cup with the side they had during the ban.

Unread 12-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

Thumbs up

get the £#%&! in - 2-0, Ribery

Unread 12-05-2009, 08:35 PM
MrBishi

Boo, Podolski makes it 3

Hertha & Wolfsburg winning aswell. It's gonna be one helluva final day (where, of course, Bayern will steal it at the last)

Unread 12-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Tumescent Throb

Thumbs up

Quote:
Boo, Podolski makes it 3

Hertha & Wolfsburg winning aswell. It's gonna be one helluva final day (where, of course, Bayern will deservedly prevail it at the last)
hope you're right

Unread 18-05-2009, 11:22 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Boo, Podolski makes it 3

Hertha & Wolfsburg winning aswell. It's gonna be one helluva final day (where, of course, Bayern will steal it at the last)
Looks unlikely now. Big results in France and Germany this weekend. Marseille's 3-1 home defeat to Lyon (Benzema getting two) and Bayern's 2-2 with Hoffenheim leaves Bordeaux and Wolfsburg strong favourites in Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga respectively.

Bordeaux have a 3-point lead and slightly better goal difference over Marseille going into their least two games, at home against Monaco (11th) and away at Caen (16th). Wolfsburg look an even stronger bet, as their 5-0 win at Hannover gives them a vastly superior goal difference and 2-point lead over Bayern and Stuttgart, meaning they need a draw at home against Werder Bremen this weekend to secure their first ever title. Their cause is aided by the fact that Bremen, whose league position (10th) cannot change, play in the Uefa Cup final on Wednesday and the German Cup final the following weekend.

Definitely the two most interesting major leagues over the last few weeks.

Unread 18-05-2009, 11:47 PM
MrBishi

I dunno, this is the Bundesliga we're talking about... I keep thinking back to 1999, 2000 and 2001 when Bayern snatched it right at the end every time. In '01 those poor Schalke fans were already on the pitch to celebrate when they saw Bayern score in the last seconds on the big screens

Unread 18-05-2009, 11:56 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
I dunno, this is the Bundesliga we're talking about... I keep thinking back to 1999, 2000 and 2001 when Bayern snatched it right at the end every time. In '01 those poor Schalke fans were already on the pitch to celebrate when they saw Bayern score in the last seconds on the big screens
quite the kick in the @#%&! you might say

Unread 18-05-2009, 11:59 PM
S/Side.Red

True enough, and of course on their day Bremen can beat anyone. It's just that they're the side you would want to play at the moment. Two finals either side of the match, an awful away record and the inability to change their league position. Plus, I suspect Bremen would rather Bayern didn't win the league. They've also got defensive problems, while Wolfsburg's forward line is the best in the league. Wolfsburg should be able to get a draw. But, like you say, they can take nothing for granted.

Unread 19-05-2009, 12:15 AM
MrBishi

All those things count in Wolfsburg's favour.

Which is exactly why I'm gonna put a fiver on Bayern.

Unread 19-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Tumescent Throb

Bayern were undoubtedly robbed on saturday btw

it's the only possible explanation

Bremen will be buzzing going into the final game hopefully, and playing for Cup final places as well. a couple of their top players are also banned from Istanbul

Stuttgart to beat Bayern 4-0 and nick the league then :sigh:
Closed Thread