United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-03-2009, 12:11 PM
believe

Red face

what i want to knoq is why you're obssessed about the song thing? beckham must have been devastated

Unread 08-03-2009, 12:23 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
what £#%&! is getting at, i think, isn't technical excellence (in which terms marlo and dunk are correct - ronnie and giggs, to name but two, are clearly superior) but effect on the team. rooney, like robbo, eric and keane, is a talisman. he's a player everyone looks to when things are tough. at the age of, what, 23 he's clearly a leader in the greatest team in the world. that's some £#%&!ing going and something giggs is only just starting to become now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMikeA
missing the point somewhat there. i think he's talking in terms of overall raw, natural talent - not who's having a great season
Ok, fair enough.

Still no. It's still Ryan Giggs. We will be lucky to ever see his like again.

For me, Rooney has yet to reach the heights Mark Hughes set in his position. A Long way to go, he may get there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike
Totally agree, he is very important to utd and i'd argue he has more talent and natural ability than even ronaldo, but unlike ronnie he doesnt have that same self confident personality or the consistency you need that would get more people to acknowledge him alongside messi and ronaldo as the worlds best player.
A touch of the 'Scholesy's' maybe, you may be right.

Unread 08-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Pop

Giggs, Scholes, Cantona, Keane, Schmeichel, Ronaldo, Robson. Most are/were better players than Rooney and the others were far more important to Utd.

Rooney's a good player, sometimes fantastic but he's unbelievably overrated.

Unread 08-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Tumescent Throb

Giggs is United

Rooney has exquisite touch but it goes awry when he's not on blob. He can shape a pass and put it on a penny, but it's hit and miss. He can score the most beautiful goals you're likely to see, but he can't always be in the right place to score enough because he's too busy having fun doing everything else as well!

He was born to play for United. He's a warrior in red. He is Whiteside and Sparky rolled into one, and a better athlete than the pair of them.

Colleen is only marginally better looking than Carlitos as well. I'd be worried if i was her.

Unread 08-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Giggs, Scholes, Cantona, Keane, Schmeichel, Ronaldo, Robson. Most are/were better players than Rooney and most were far more important to Utd.

at 23?

you could argue ronnie and giggs are comparable at that age

i think when his career is over he will be right up there

Unread 08-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Giggs, Scholes, Cantona, Keane, Schmeichel, Ronaldo, Robson. Most are/were better players than Rooney and the others were far more important to Utd.

No he isn't, if anything he's underrated.

Unread 08-03-2009, 12:31 PM
MUFC One Love

Rooney is outstanding. People make laugh 'cos a few people say Rooney is overrated, but I think Rooney is underrated at times. In terms of what ability he has. Sure he can run at people with power and have a great shot, but he is so clever, even when he was 18 he was. He can create just as good as he can score, it's an ability that not a lot of players have and if they do it's taken them years to get, Rooney has it naturally. He's been on fire for a while now, even with injuries in between. He's maturing as every month goes by and he will only get better.

Unread 08-03-2009, 12:47 PM
celtbion

He's a fantastic player.

Unread 08-03-2009, 12:53 PM
captain scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
Woudn't swap Rooney for any player in the world.
Me neither mate.

Unread 08-03-2009, 12:54 PM
antonin jablonsky

I don't think he's the best player we've has since Best but he is my favourite player at the club. Raelly kicking into form at the right time too.

Unread 08-03-2009, 12:56 PM
wonky no

there is more than one song if you look for it

i don't think the question is wether we've had players as good as Best but how many. The legend of Best has filtered through the generations of football fans, not exclusively united fans either. I have no doubt whatsoever that Scholes and Giggs will be revered in exactly the same manner.

Both those players deserve to stand shoulder to shoulder with Best and in some aspects on a higher footing. I'm too young to have seen Best play and truly appreciate his impact on the pitch but i've seen Giggs run with the ball and been totally awestruck. i've stood in a crowd of tens of thousands where we have witnessed a run of Giggs and there has been a collective pause, literally, as it sinks in for a second before a rapturous applause or deafening cheer.

i have been totally side tracked by scholes on many many occasions. it's sometimes hard to watch a match without following the ball, when he is on form (95% of the time) the opposite is true. ive missed countless goals because i've been watching him, his movement, his reading of the game-everything about him reeks of genius. perhaps more comparable with Charlton in his style of play (who's to say Charlton wasn't as good as Best?) but quite obviously as important to United as Best ever was.

What will always be the case though is the romance surrounding George. The jimmy Dean style demise of his playing career, the appeal of a tormented soul and the excitement that brings to an individual. Best's career in comparison to Giggs and Scholes was a flash in the pan (forget what he did when he left us-he was just playing games) an extremely exciting and important flash non the less.

There isn't a man who can belittle George's footballing skills. Unique, amazing, sensational. just like Scholes and Giggs.

Rooney has a lot to do before he can be compared to any of the above. I'm sure he will.

What Giggs, Charlton, Best and Scholes have in common is they were all instrumental in creating a dynasty at united. they wern't simply additions to trophy winning side.

Unread 08-03-2009, 02:09 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no

i don't think the question is wether we've had players as good as Best but how many. The legend of Best has filtered through the generations of football fans, not exclusively united fans either. I have no doubt whatsoever that Scholes and Giggs will be revered in exactly the same manner.

Both those players deserve to stand shoulder to shoulder with Best and in some aspects on a higher footing. I'm too young to have seen Best play and truly appreciate his impact on the pitch but i've seen Giggs run with the ball and been totally awestruck. i've stood in a crowd of tens of thousands where we have witnessed a run of Giggs and there has been a collective pause, literally, as it sinks in for a second before a rapturous applause or deafening cheer.

i have been totally side tracked by scholes on many many occasions. it's sometimes hard to watch a match without following the ball, when he is on form (95% of the time) the opposite is true. ive missed countless goals because i've been watching him, his movement, his reading of the game-everything about him reeks of genius. perhaps more comparable with Charlton in his style of play (who's to say Charlton wasn't as good as Best?) but quite obviously as important to United as Best ever was.

What will always be the case though is the romance surrounding George. The jimmy Dean style demise of his playing career, the appeal of a tormented soul and the excitement that brings to an individual. Best's career in comparison to Giggs and Scholes was a flash in the pan (forget what he did when he left us-he was just playing games) an extremely exciting and important flash non the less.

There isn't a man who can belittle George's footballing skills. Unique, amazing, sensational. just like Scholes and Giggs.

Rooney has a lot to do before he can be compared to any of the above. I'm sure he will.

What Giggs, Charlton, Best and Scholes have in common is they were all instrumental in creating a dynasty at united. they wern't simply additions to trophy winning side.
great post wonks

Unread 08-03-2009, 02:13 PM
believe

£#%&!ing brilliant post wonks! still don't believe you're not old enough to have seen best play

Unread 08-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

When a Giggs body swerve sat the keeper down at Charlton that was a true mark of genius - a true mark of Best.

Best is the reference point and always will be.

And when a Best body swerve sat the keeper down at Stoke the keeper was Gordon Banks.

The fairest thing to say would probably be stolen from Eric Cantona: right manager, right players, right club, right time

Rooney is unlikely to reach Giggs' heights as a United player revered throughout the world of football by peers, supporters and pundits alike tbf, but then that is hardly a fair way to judge the lad tbh

Unread 08-03-2009, 02:30 PM
redmike

Quote:

Top Postage.

Unread 08-03-2009, 02:40 PM
wonky no

Unread 08-03-2009, 03:32 PM
MJ Ramone

I know I get a bit of stick on here for my blinkered 'Rooney-Love' ...but in all my years watching United Wayne would be right up there as one of the best & most special players I've seen in a United shirt.

He's a great individual player, a great team player & the catalyst for 90% of our best performances in the last 5 years.
He's irreplaceable & (in my opinion at least) our best & most important player.

He's not a Giggsy or a Scholesy yet...or indeed a Robbo (Bestie was before my time) ...but he's certainly got the potential to be a United Legend.

£#%&!ing great player & the kind of player that get's you fired up during the game.... last Sunday at Wembley whenever the big screens went on Wayne the United fans chanted his name en masse (the way he celebrated the penalties as they went in!)

You just can't help but love a United player that celebrates a goal against City with this much passion!

Missed a £#%&!ing sitter yesterday mind!

Unread 08-03-2009, 04:27 PM
£#%&! KFC

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop

utter horseshit

Unread 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:

agree with a lot of what you posted but not the last sentence....our teams has been built around Rooney for four years he IS the dynasty

cheers for the song but I'll pass

Unread 08-03-2009, 04:47 PM
marlo

not meaning to turn this thread into a player vs player.

but ronaldo is the most talented player we have ever had at the club, first player to win uefa player of the yea, pfa player of the year, fifa player of the year , ballondoor player of the year and is almost unplayable most games, takes our freekicks, penalties and tops our scoring charts every season...

surely he is the greatest.
Closed Thread