United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:22 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
is carlton palmer in there with him?
no. but our hero is asking himself where's the soap ????

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Smeggs

seems a strange timing for this thread anyway, what with us being masters of the universe right now.

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:27 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
i dont think any midfields in europe strike fear in anyone tbh.

its all about functioning as a unit now.
True, but when you look at Barca's and Milan's a few years back, you are worried you won't get a kick up against them, United's don't necessarily have that aura abut them.

United's midfield is definitely greater thatn the sum of it's parts.

I think it is lacking a truly great player though. Not that many great players or potential great players, about in that position atm.

I 'd take Iniesta though.

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Jem,

you've been absent from these shores, or so it seems to me for some time, so I thought I'd pop into your 'football thread' to catch up.

How are you? I am very well. thank you for asking.

Are you still a banker? oh, yes.

Are you personally responsible for getting us into this economic mess? no. I finance stuff like power stations. you could blame me for the environmental mess instead if you like. although we do wind farms too. and planes,tankers, roads, refineries... ok, I am melting the polar ice caps.

Do you still stand by your predictions of circa 2007 that we'd win £#%&! all that year and that the squad was shambolic.

Were you right to suggest that Fergie had to leave circa 2005/6? I never suggested fergie should leave. did I? I think I said he had been asleep at the wheel, but he owed it to us to fix the mess he'd made. I think he should have been fired for non-footballing matters, though. but I always said he was the best manager in the world, in spite of being a gambler with team selections and with room for improvement. I offered my number if he wanted help. you can't say fairer than that.

Is Fergie still the wrong man for the job? I still wouldn't invite him for dinner.

Do you still rate Veron? yes. unequivocally.

Did you know that Veron is considered the most expensive player on the planet (in transfer fee terms) notwithstanding the fact that he was singularly shite from the moment United bought him through to the present day? I disagree with your statement.

And lastly, do you believe that hindsight is a wonderful thing? I'll have to let you know on that one.

Kisses,

Keith
it's always nice to hear from you.

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggs
seems a strange timing for this thread anyway, what with us being masters of the universe right now.
surely, this is the best time for it?

we are not masters of the universe. we won a cup no one was interested in (including us)... and the world club thing when we were playing well. and we have the opportunity for another treble (which we should have won last year too). but only the league is looking good. we still have to beat inter and there is a long way to go in both cups. the opposition can only get harder and if we win it will be on the back of a solid defence and rooney and ronaldo. it will not be because we control the midfield.

if we meet chelsea again, it won't be like the last game at old trafford. I wouldn't want to face barca either.

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggs
Well yes - hence the need to highlight Jems credentials.

For example, no doubt one day 'Fergie will leave' and Jem (and others) can say, 'I told you so'.

Saying that, perhaps his point is really that we should strive to improve whether we are the Champions of the World or not and I'd agree with that.

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I wouldn't want to face barca either.
doubt you'd be picked old boy, but i guess you never know. where's this #@&%!-knocking vid anyway?

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

how we pine for the days when Maysie maysie may or Henning the Melt could adequately fill the gap when Ronnie 'the vision' Johnsen fancied running the game from centre mid

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:35 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
surely, this is the best time for it?

we are not masters of the universe. we won a cup no one was interested in (including us)... and the world club thing when we were playing well. and we have the opportunity for another treble (which we should have won last year too). but only the league is looking good. we still have to beat inter and there is a long way to go in both cups. the opposition can only get harder and if we win it will be on the back of a solid defence and rooney and ronaldo. it will not be because we control the midfield.

if we meet chelsea again, it won't be like the last game at old trafford. I wouldn't want to face barca either.
Well it's a shame we can't win every game we play. Maybe one day, eh Jem?

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:35 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Well yes - hence the need to highlight Jems credentials.

For example, no doubt one day 'Fergie will leave' and Jem (and others) can say, 'I told you so'.

Saying that, perhaps his point is really that we should strive to improve whether we are the Champions of the World or not and I'd agree with that.
Of course, though i still have high hopes for Anderson and haven't written off Hargo returning fit next season, which would substantially improve that area.

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:39 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
how we pine for the days when Maysie maysie may or Henning the Melt could adequately fill the gap when Ronnie 'the vision' Johnsen fancied running the game from centre mid
My thoughts exactly

dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Great player.

A shame we haven't got a 26 year old Jonnie Rohnsen to call on now. I £#%&!ing hated that little Shit Owen for that tackle. Smarmy faced little @#%&!.

My Name is Keith

Jem,

I miss you (not a pisstake at all).

I think your statement on Fergie ("The @#%&!") is the very definition of revisionism but hay ho, life's about learning.

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:41 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Great player.
Great centre half.

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Jack's Smirking Revenge

Carrick is criminally under-rated, especially by utd fans who see him every week and should know by now how good he is

anderson is potentially a world class player and will improve for us i believe

Ronnie will find his form again and we'll have him for another couple of seasons i think

hargreaves is a £#%&!in ace player and if he can shake off this knee injury will be great for us

what i've seen of tosic he is very good and i've heard excellent things about him

gibson has loads of potential, it's up to him whether he can step up though

still, we're doomed, we're doomed

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

tbh the chelsea game was very close for most of the first half, so who knows how either team will react next time when the first goal goes in

i really hope United get to play against Barcelona this season, because as you say there are so few really top teams out there. we've been lucky to draw Inter frankly, and hopefully the return game is magnifico.

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:50 PM
antonin jablonsky

I do have to agree with jem that the current United squad has yet to achieve perfection.

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:52 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Great centre half.
True, did a good job in CM on several occasions though, particularly against Juventus.

Unread 04-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Smeggs

Quote:
some people won't be happy till we do.

I don't know about the rest of you but as times in life go being a United supporter as this very moment isn't bad eh?

Unread 04-03-2009, 01:35 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
doubt you'd be picked old boy, but i guess you never know. where's this #@&%!-knocking vid anyway?
I am still faster than tevez and a better finisher. I wouldn't let anyone down. post-match interview would be fun, too. there is no #@&%! video, but I can send you a short video of mine if you leave your mobi number.

Quote:
I don't want to win every game. however, I don't want to be told we've got the best squad ever and we're going to the quadr/quint/sextuple when the midfield is actually rather poor and there's such a long way to go. how is it being spoilt to suggest that we are still weak in midfield when we have to play the likes of fletch and park? sure, we may not be able to get stevie "world class" g or steal the entire barca midfield and we missed out on essien, but are you saying we could never afford or find players like arteta... or diaby? :0)

Quote:
Jem,

I miss you (not a pisstake at all).

I think your statement on Fergie ("The @#%&!") is the very definition of revisionism but hay ho, life's about learning.
fergie is a @#%&!. but he's not a @#%&! because of his football manager skills. £#%&!ing around with horses, kissing up to glazer, son as agent.... these things override. you might as well say that joey barton is a half-decent player. fergie made mistakes - like picking under strength teams and underestimating the opposition - but he has largely cut out the gambling (or we have a better squad). I never said he was anything other than the best manager in the world, but he's not flawless (as a manager; as a man, he's deeply fllawed). I don't love him. I can respect him within a narrow remit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I do have to agree with jem that the current United squad has yet to achieve perfection.
we should crave perfection. we're pretty damn close. but no one can tell me (a) our midfield is a strength or (b) we have striking options. given that it would take so little to add so much, why not question? shall I go on an anti-glazer rant now? that piano is still falling. we should have bought another striker and a tireless defensive midfielder at the beginning of the season. why couldn't we afford them?
Closed Thread