United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-01-2009, 11:57 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Frankly, I think we're already there. They could brag when we sat on 7 or 8 because it's a £#%&!in' mile off 18. Same with the European Cups 4 v 1 doesn't cut it. You'd be pretty stupid to brag about having 1 more league title or 1 more European cup. We don't brag about having a couple more FA Cups than them.
Point is, we used to be streets behind them. Now we're not. And they know it. And it hurts them. And that's funny.
Well, yes and no for me. It's all about the numbers and the fact is, they have more than us. When we reach 18 (fingers crossed) it will be the best title win ever imo. When we surpass that, that one will be the best.

I don't get it when Utd fans moaned that our title wins in 97 & 2001 were 'boring' £#%&! off!!! They are part of our 17 titles and they have got us within touching distance of the vermin.

Unread 14-01-2009, 11:58 AM
MrBishi

Quote:
'Forever In Our Shadow' say the same supporters who use numbers to define success.
Rather aptly, I was reading the Tim Vickery column on BBC sport yesterday, and he goes on about how overused numbers and stats are in football. And that's just Liverpool fans for you, all they've got to go on are numbers. They've never had Busby Babes, never had a vintage of '99, their sole contribution to the way football is played is the backpass law.

Unread 14-01-2009, 12:05 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
Rather aptly, I was reading the Tim Vickery column on BBC sport yesterday, and he goes on about how overused numbers and stats are in football. And that's just Liverpool fans for you, all they've got to go on are numbers. They've never had Busby Babes, never had a vintage of '99, their sole contribution to the way football is played is the backpass law.
Exactly, that's kind of my point. Ofcourse, I want to get to 18 and beyond, but the more we hammer it home, the more we sound like them. Before you know it, you're some sad old £#%&!o holdig up a sign (partly to remind the opposition, and partly to remind yourself because it's so long). As long as the gap isn't huge (which is used to be between us), then it's not that big a deal.

The worst for this is the Arsenal Invincibles thing. For £#%&!s sake, it's just a stat! You get nothing for it (that faggy little trophy from the FA aside). A admirable achievement, sure, but why not 'most wins' instead of 'fewest defeats'? You're advocating negative football. A team could draw all 38 games and probaby go down, but they'd be INVINCIBLE! In the end, you're clinging to a stat that's nothing more than a side issue. My best memory of that season is United beating The Invincibles 1-0. Now, how does that work?

If we win the league, catching up with Liverpool should be the side issue. The main thing is enjoying United winning the league.

Unread 14-01-2009, 12:10 PM
wiganste

I agree with everything that has been said but it's different when you mention Arsenal because no one (utd fan) really gives a £#%&! about them.

We need to overtake the vermin and become English footballs most sucessful club. That's what I want and when it happens, I'll be partying like it's 1999. Once we do overtake them, the numbers won't matter much to me.

Unread 14-01-2009, 12:16 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
I agree with everything that has been said but it's different when you mention Arsenal because no one (utd fan) really gives a £#%&! about them.

We need to overtake the vermin and become English footballs most sucessful club. That's what I want and when it happens, I'll be partying like it's 1999. Once we do overtake them, the numbers won't matter much to me.
No we don't. We've nothing to prove to them, ourselves or anyone else. It'd be nice, sure, but that's not why I support them.

Arsenal were just an example of how people hold onto stats.

Hey, don't think I won't be delighted if we match Liverpool's total this season. But, for me, I take the greatest pleasure from United doing well, not Liverpool suffering.

But I'll be happy to bask in both!

Unread 14-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Bunker Buster

United Parade in town maybe?

Unread 14-01-2009, 12:23 PM
red @rmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Unread 14-01-2009, 12:24 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
thats just crazy typing

Unread 14-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
No we don't. We've nothing to prove to them, ourselves or anyone else. It'd be nice, sure, but that's not why I support them.

Arsenal were just an example of how people hold onto stats.

Hey, don't think I won't be delighted if we match Liverpool's total this season. But, for me, I take the greatest pleasure from United doing well, not Liverpool suffering.

But I'll be happy to bask in both!
deffo

it'll be fantastic if we get to 18 (and further) just to see the look on their faces but just i'm happy if we're winning any trophies and playing great football to do it

Unread 14-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Wafty Crank

Quote:
Exactly, that's kind of my point. Ofcourse, I want to get to 18 and beyond, but the more we hammer it home, the more we sound like them. Before you know it, you're some sad old £#%&!o holdig up a sign (partly to remind the opposition, and partly to remind yourself because it's so long). As long as the gap isn't huge (which is used to be between us), then it's not that big a deal.

The worst for this is the Arsenal Invincibles thing. For £#%&!s sake, it's just a stat! You get nothing for it (that faggy little trophy from the FA aside). A admirable achievement, sure, but why not 'most wins' instead of 'fewest defeats'? You're advocating negative football. A team could draw all 38 games and probaby go down, but they'd be INVINCIBLE! In the end, you're clinging to a stat that's nothing more than a side issue. My best memory of that season is United beating The Invincibles 1-0. Now, how does that work?

If we win the league, catching up with Liverpool should be the side issue. The main thing is enjoying United winning the league.
"The Invincibles".

A team who won one trophy and didn't go anywhere near as many games unbeaten as United in 1999 (45 competitive games in all competitions before that dreadful 0-5 at Stamford Bridge - not that you'll read that anywhere in the media).

A team who, despite going unbeaten the whole season, still couldn't overhaul United's record of 91 points in a Premier League season.

A team who, despite having sewn the title up in April, still managed to choke not once, but twice, in the big cup competitions which they were able to concentrate fully on.

But they were the best team in the whole world ever, like Brazil 1970, Real Madrid from the 60s, Ajax and Bayern from the 70s and United from the 90s all rolled into one. Yet they won one pot.

Unread 14-01-2009, 04:10 PM
borsuk

Thumbs up

quality post ste

Unread 14-01-2009, 06:07 PM
gigo

Excellent post,lets get it done,then crack onto titles 20-25 before them £#%&!ers.

Unread 14-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Sparky***

As the song says when our players take the pitch, "this is the one".

The season where we can do something which people like me, when I was 10 years old thought was the impossible.

The countless arguments you had which got reduced to them simply shouting "18 times, 18 times, 18 times" over and over until you just gave up. They had a £#%&!ing big stick to beat us with for over 2 decades and they've never missed an opportunity.

It would be lovely to take that stick off them and ram it up their collective arses.

Unread 15-01-2009, 12:09 AM
wiganste

Thumbs up

Just 2 behind now.

Unread 15-01-2009, 12:37 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Just 2 behind now.
£#%&! it was 1 at 17-18 last I looked.

Unread 15-01-2009, 01:25 AM
The taste of...

To say the numbers game or stats isn't what it's about is bang on. It is important to some of us though as Ste said

When we were miles behind them they did get reduced to shouting 18+4 in arguments

They were the stats of a bygone era though. The thing is that football has changed now dramatically and even were they to scrawp this one you could never see them dominating again and being that far away from us.

When SAF goes I don't believe a club will ever dominate in these fashions again. Maybe for a couple of years a la the rent boys or the intermitent Venga boys.

I much prefer to be able to say that my club......

Was the first to play young kids in a mans game

The first to enter and pioneer Europe

First club to produce a player who transcended sport itself even from his humble belfast beginning

The first English team to win the European Cup even when many of the said kids had perished.

First team to win the now best in the world premier league.

First English team to rehabilitate our football's reputation back in Europe
(after some murdering bastards had killed it) with our ECWC win

First English team to win the much harder to win revamped ECL

Were the first club to do THE treble after someone nearly did it in 77 (Who stopped them ?)

First English club to win an all English ECL final

First English club to become world club champions.

Vermin......18 and 5? stick it up your murdering arses. You have numbers we have the history. You have always tried to imitate, your Shankly, your keegans, your "famous support"

We are Manchester United the most famous football club in the world who always attempted to play football the Busby way - the right way- and we were all that even when we had only won seven titles. You will always be in our shadow, you were in your backpassing dominating eighties and that is why you hate us so much. You have always had to turn past our pages to get to the drivel about your shit slinging medium sized outfit.

Very soon you may even loose one of your "Numbers"

You have started to loose them already....remember "Phil Neal the most decorated player in English football???"

What if you eventually loose them all? What then you phlegm chewing bile sacs? Oh how it will hurt you...and to think we did the majority of what we did with two managers, while you needed four to do yours, now you understand why ours are knighted.

Wish you had made a bit more history when you dominated? Cause you will never dominate again.

I £#%&!ING LOVE MANCHESTER UNITED

Unread 15-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
To say the numbers game or stats isn't what it's about is bang on. It is important to some of us though as Ste said

When we were miles behind them they did get reduced to shouting 18+4 in arguments

They were the stats of a bygone era though. The thing is that football has changed now dramatically and even were they to scrawp this one you could never see them dominating again and being that far away from us.

When SAF goes I don't believe a club will ever dominate in these fashions again. Maybe for a couple of years a la the rent boys or the intermitent Venga boys.

I much prefer to be able to say that my club......

Was the first to play young kids in a mans game

The first to enter and pioneer Europe

First club to produce a player who transcended sport itself even from his humble belfast beginning

The first English team to win the European Cup even when many of the said kids had perished.

First team to win the now best in the world premier league.

First English team to rehabilitate our football's reputation back in Europe
(after some murdering bastards had killed it) with our ECWC win

First English team to win the much harder to win revamped ECL

Were the first club to do THE treble after someone nearly did it in 77 (Who stopped them ?)

First English club to win an all English ECL final

First English club to become world club champions.

Vermin......18 and 5? stick it up your murdering arses. You have numbers we have the history. You have always tried to imitate, your Shankly, your keegans, your "famous support"

We are Manchester United the most famous football club in the world who always attempted to play football the Busby way - the right way- and we were all that even when we had only won seven titles. You will always be in our shadow, you were in your backpassing dominating eighties and that is why you hate us so much. You have always had to turn past our pages to get to the drivel about your shit slinging medium sized outfit.

Very soon you may even loose one of your "Numbers"

You have started to loose them already....remember "Phil Neal the most decorated player in English football???"

What if you eventually loose them all? What then you phlegm chewing bile sacs? Oh how it will hurt you...and to think we did the majority of what we did with two managers, while you needed four to do yours, now you understand why ours are knighted.

Wish you had made a bit more history when you dominated? Cause you will never dominate again.

I £#%&!ING LOVE MANCHESTER UNITED
you tell em

Unread 19-01-2009, 11:29 PM
wiganste

This is why winning the title is so important to me this season

Quote:
eggs-in-the-champions-league-basket time imo. man united win their 18th title and our glorious history is tarnished
It will kill a generation of scousers. The scousers will have lost their biggest stick to beat us with.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/...opic=235945.40

Unread 19-01-2009, 11:43 PM
The Watcher

The scouse boards have made great reading in recent weeks. Hopefully, the rent boys can beat them at their place and finally knock them out of the race.

On current form, Real Madrid might even have a chance!

Unread 19-01-2009, 11:44 PM
£#%&! KFC

missed this thread first time but excellent post Ste

we were in their main stand in 1992 and it is the worst feeling I have ever experienced at football (95 at West fackin Am was up there right enough)

I seriously doubt those dirty thieving Scouse @#%&!s celebrated any of their own 18 titles as much as they did Leeds £#%&!ing United winning the title in 1992

and every time we win ANOTHER title I always think back to that day at Anfield and thank the £#%&!ing Lord for Sir Alex Ferguson

he knocked them right off.....''their £#%&!ing perch''.....and the @#%&!s are still falling
Closed Thread