United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
I was using it as a figure of speech to indicate the high esteem with which MON is held. FFS, this was not meant to be a personal attack on MON, it was a general question. If Fergie retired 2 years ago, I think that there would have been more people calling for MON to replace him than there would be now. Would you say that's a fair comment?
People were mentioning Le Guen's name two years ago.

Martin O'Neill is a decent manager, doing a decent job at a dormant club imo. He will bring them up a level given time.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:54 PM
fix up look SHARPE

couple of points. o'neill has had plenty of money available, and he's spent it. probably about 40m since he arrived, and he'll buy again this month. villa have played some very good stuff this season as well, they just £#%&!ing always bottle it against us.

Unread 05-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
People were mentioning Le Guen's name two years ago.

Martin O'Neill is a decent manager, doing a decent job at a dormant club imo. He will bring them up a level given time.
I don't disagree with any of that. He's clearly Premiership class, I've never thought otherwise. Personally I don't think he's significantly better than Jewell but I used to rate him as one of the better coaches in Europe. Maybe it's just because the media went over board when he was at Leicester.

Unread 05-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Grimson

Villa have shown mental frailty at times. They squandered a 4-1 lead vs Spurs, a 2-0 lead at Chelsea, and had early leads against us and Arsenal, in games they went on to lose. You get the feeling they lack a little self-belief at times, despite beating Chelsea at home. I think O'Neil's done a good job overall though.

Unread 05-01-2008, 09:05 PM
borsuk

mon has done and will continue to do a decent job at villa. he also did a good job at leicester and at celtic. the guy's a good coach.

you've got to try not to look at other teams the same way we look at united. since when did villa have a tradition of clever, intricate moves or possession football? it's not like mon has spoiled their football, is it? same at celtic, tbh. his style would be all wrong for united but it's not negative - his teams try to get forward, when they're not playing united, are aggressive and use width. it's very different from allardyce's approach, or the old wimbledon style.

i can quite easily see mon ending up at liverpool after benitez. i'd be quite worried about what he might achieve there as well.

Unread 05-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
mon has done and will continue to do a decent job at villa. he also did a good job at leicester and at celtic. the guy's a good coach.

you've got to try not to look at other teams the same way we look at united. since when did villa have a tradition of clever, intricate moves or possession football? it's not like mon has spoiled their football, is it? same at celtic, tbh. his style would be all wrong for united but it's not negative - his teams try to get forward, when they're not playing united, are aggressive and use width. it's very different from allardyce's approach, or the old wimbledon style.

i can quite easily see mon ending up at liverpool after benitez. i'd be quite worried about what he might achieve there as well.

Fair points, the media did portray him though as if he was going to turn any team tinto Brazil*

* This has not specifically been said as far as I'm aware.

Unread 05-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Fair points, the media did portray him though as if he was going to turn any team tinto Brazil*

* This has not specifically been said as far as I'm aware.

Then why did you say it? You're quite fond of the straw dog tactic.

Unread 05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Spiffy

Quote:

Then why did you say it? You're quite fond of the straw dog tactic.

I don't mean to quote anyone, I'm just expressing someting in different words. I'm not deliberately misleading anyone.

Where have I said I'm fond of the straw dog tactic?

Unread 05-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

You didn't say it, I'm saying it. It's like you have counter arguments to debates that aren't even there in the first place. No offense, I quite like reading them.

Unread 05-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
You didn't say it, I'm saying it. It's like you have counter arguments to debates that aren't even there in the first place. No offense, I quite like reading them.
None taken, have a wonderful evening Mr. Dunlop.
Closed Thread