United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:26 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
I went to it aswell.

Great couple of nights out in Barca but the match was £#%&!ing woeful.

Not sure if it was because I was really pissed, poor eyesight or just that it was very high up but my abiding memory was that my view had a 'Google Earth' property to it.

Can't actually remember seeing the dots that were players actually move about. Just kept hearing that Spanish type roar that you get whilst the goals flew in.

£#%&!ing bobbins match.
I seem to remember a mutual clapping in appreciation of each other between the fans.

Then speaking to the locals after the game in a bar they were mightily impressed at the fact the players came to our side of the ground at the end clapping us and we clapped them back, it seems their players ignored their fans at that time win lose or draw.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:28 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Pallister and Bruce were the major weak link, neither were international class let alone World class.

Vidic and Ferdinand are 2 of the top 10 CB's in the World game, huge difference.
I'm gonna have to stop agreeing with you on this thread but too right. Always makes me smile when people (even Fergie) say Rio and Vida are the best since Bruce and Pally. The current incumbents knock spots off the other two, and I say that as someone who grew up loving the 1992-95 team.

You have give a lot of credit to Fergie though. That Barca game could have been the limit of him in Europe. Lots of other managers at the time, like Wilkinson, Taylor, Venables all saw their reputations fall as tactics and the game changed. He could have been labeled as a great domestic coach, poor in Europe. But he's kept going.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Chorlton74

bruce, pallister, prunier, stam, vidic, ferdinand. he knows how to spot a centre back.

hell i always had a soft spot for larry white an all!

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:39 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
bruce, pallister, prunier, stam, vidic, ferdinand. he knows how to spot a centre back.

hell i always had a soft spot for larry white an all!
I see what you did there, stop it, it's not big and it's not clever!

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:41 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
You have give a lot of credit to Fergie though. That Barca game could have been the limit of him in Europe. Lots of other managers at the time, like Wilkinson, Taylor, Venables all saw their reputations fall as tactics and the game changed. He could have been labeled as a great domestic coach, poor in Europe. But he's kept going.
It's why I consider him the greatest manager British football has seen. The way he's adapted from the old school to the modern game, while staying hugely successful. Kendal, Dalglish, Venables, Wilkinson, Clough...all failed miserably in this regard. Add to that his almost unique ability to build a side, then take it apart and build a new one, all while taking into account the changes in tactics and styles of play that have occurred in the interim.

Phenomenal really.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:49 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
It's why I consider him the greatest manager British football has seen. The way he's adapted from the old school to the modern game, while staying hugely successful. Kendal, Dalglish, Venables, Wilkinson, Clough...all failed miserably in this regard. Add to that his almost unique ability to build a side, then take it apart and build a new one, all while taking into account the changes in tactics and styles of play that have occurred in the interim.

Phenomenal really.
You can't but Clough in there with that lot.....

What he did with what he had unbelievable.
Closed Thread