United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-02-2007, 12:10 AM
violater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes......oh i say!
post this on a madrid forum, just for a cross reference
the same madrid in which they sold makelele before he arrived....

the player they missed so much and havent been the same since.

Unread 05-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes......oh i say!
post this on a madrid forum, just for a cross reference
He's not the manager. I personally wouldn't want him as the manager. Vio was saying he should get the credit he deserves, he should. It's funny that the players like him isn't it?

Unread 05-02-2007, 12:13 AM
violater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Macari_Chippy

As for him persuading ronaldo to stay and not go to Madrid all i can say is; is he the right man for such a conversation?
erm...
ronaldo looks up to cq as a father sort of figure...
and was one of the main reasons we gt him here from lisbon where cq is held in high esteem...
if you notice whe ronaldo is asked any questions he always says carlos told me not to say anything.
also during the wc guess who was sent to the portugal camp to talk to ronaldo?

Unread 05-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater™
erm...
ronaldo looks up to cq as a father sort of figure...
and was one of the main reasons we gt him here from lisbon where cq is held in high esteem...
if you notice whe ronaldo is asked any questions he always says carlos told me not to say anything.
also during the wc guess who was sent to the portugal camp to talk to ronaldo?
Yeah but who £#%&!ed off themselves to madrid for greener pastures? bit hypocritical of him to tell ronaldo not to go there dont you think?

Like i say, once he takes over from fergie we'll soon see what he's all about - i predict he wont last two seasons.

Unread 05-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Lazarus

How about this scenario:

He's an excellent coach largely responsible for nurturing Portugal's golden generation of Figo and Rui Costa. However,he isn't a manager at all and when he has been he has failed.

Ferguson gave him more power than he could handle and it started showing in our play. Now that Fergie has resumed greater control and delegated the things to Carlos he excells at everything is functioning optimally and Carlos,like Kidd,is being a fantastic assistant who is not a manager.

Unread 05-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
How about this scenario:

He's an excellent coach largely responsible for nurturing Portugal's golden generation of Figo and Rui Costa. However,he isn't a manager at all and when he has been he has failed.

Ferguson gave him more power than he could handle and it started showing in our play. Now that Fergie has resumed greater control and delegated the things to Carlos he excells at everything is functioning optimally and Carlos,like Kidd,is being a fantastic assistant who is not a manager.
That'l do for me

Unread 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Part 36 Offer

Slag him all you like but he has sorted out our defence, just as he did before he left for Madrid.

Unread 05-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Paul Scholes

CQ gets credit from me. Doing a great job at the minute.

As for the comment he made re the fans knowledge, judging from FT and RI he has a point.

Unread 05-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scholes
CQ gets credit from me. Doing a great job at the minute.

As for the comment he made re the fans knowledge, judging from FT and RI he has a point.

Which comment?

Unread 05-02-2007, 01:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Queiroz used to get slaughtered when we were shit.

Now we are playing great stuff, out comes this ridiculous line about it being because Fergie has sufficiently reduced his involvement with first team matters.

It truly is priceless. Much like when people try to absorb Fergie of credit for this season by saying that he's only just latched on to the idea of playing his best eleven every week.

Unread 05-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Lazarus

But there is no doubt that there was a long period when we never saw Fergie on the touchline barking orders. It was always Carlos, and - if Gigg's' book is anything to go by - he was also directly picking the team and tactics in this period.

I think,from an observational perspective,it's very hard to claim that Carlos' role hasn't diminished in some capacity,even if it's just for show.

Unread 05-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Whalefish

CQ is a good coach, agree with Violater on this one. 100%.

Unread 05-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Crumps

Carlos is arguably the finest coach in the world although he is clearly not cut out to be the manager of any club as his spell at Madrid and when he supposedly took on a more important role in the day to day running of United have proved.

Unread 05-02-2007, 02:03 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by violater™
do you *honestly* think you know more about football and how to coach a team than carlos quieroz?

he had to go with that formation because of keane etc etc

do you remember when we played milan (a) and all of us wanted the 4-4-2 formation. you know the "united way"...

did you remember we didnt get a shot on target?

i think we should leave the bloke to do his job and commend him when we are doing well.
are we doing well?

giggs hit the inside of the post

Unread 05-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Paul Scholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick
Which comment?
That the fans know nothing.

He must come on here.

Unread 05-02-2007, 02:17 PM
jem

Default carlos

is the tony blair of football.

Unread 05-02-2007, 02:38 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpsall
Carlos is arguably the finest coach in the world although he is clearly not cut out to be the manager of any club as his spell at Madrid and when he supposedly took on a more important role in the day to day running of United have proved.
the spell at madrid means nothing. he did no worse than capello or anyone else would have. madrid is a shambles and has been for years.

more damning, for me, is his football philosophy. i can't be bothered finding the quotes but it was something along the lines of better to win ugly than to take chances. that is not united's way.

Unread 05-02-2007, 02:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
But there is no doubt that there was a long period when we never saw Fergie on the touchline barking orders. It was always Carlos, and - if Gigg's' book is anything to go by - he was also directly picking the team and tactics in this period.

I think,from an observational perspective,it's very hard to claim that Carlos' role hasn't diminished in some capacity,even if it's just for show.
Fergie sat in the stands for the first half yesterday, and it's not the first time he's done that this season. Carlos is still very much the man on the touchline.

He's still taking the training sessions, and I remember Fergie saying that Carlos was behind United's 2-0 win over Arsenal at Old Trafford in the 02-03 season, almost suggested that he took the entire preparation for it, so I don't really think his role has changed much to be honest.

I think between them they are probably creating a good balance and both deserve credit for our season, just like both took stick for the last few years.

He also can't be judged on his time in Madrid. No manager could have been a success there with 13/14 players in the squad.

Unread 05-02-2007, 03:19 PM
violater

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
giggs hit the inside of the post
your point?

a shot that hits the post isnt on target mate.

cq as far as im concerned is as responsible for our title run as saf.

Unread 05-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Fergie sat in the stands for the first half yesterday, and it's not the first time he's done that this season. Carlos is still very much the man on the touchline.

It's a question of degree. He has often taken a seat in the stands and then joined the dugout later on,like many managers.

There was a period - that coincided with one of our worst spells results and performance wise - where Ferguson was never on the touchline and the only person we saw was Carlos. At this point Ferguson was making noises about Carlos being his successor.

We never saw Fergie on the touchline,barking orders and letting loose purple faced salvos at the ref and assistant ref. There is evidence to suggest that he delegated more and more tasks to Carlos and has recently (in the last year and a half) started taking more control of these things.

I don't disagree that Carlos is a top coach. I agree that you cannot blame him solely for the demise of Madrid like Perez shamefully did. However,as manager of Portugal and South Africa he was not a success and I do think his football philosophy probably borders on the pragmatic side.
Closed Thread