United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-12-2008, 12:45 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I think all our forwards are to blame to an extent. Tevez and Rooney have been woefully inconsistent, missing sitters etc. Mr Balon D'or has just disappeared up his own arse and Berbatov hasn't realised what being a mancheser united player is all about yet.
Agreed although it is in fact all Mr Flicks fault..

Unread 23-12-2008, 12:46 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
True but as i say, we are creating enough chances, could've beat Arse about 9-2 for example, we just need to start hitting the target.
Yea, but at some point we have to actually start doing it. All these ifs and buts are all well and good, but we keep missing chances and wasting games. Our away record has been £#%&!ing crap so far.

Liverpool are £#%&!ing crap, yet so far we've surrendered the top of the league to them. They've dropped points so many times in recent weeks, yet more often then not we've failed to take advantage. Chelsea aren't as good as last year, never mind the sides under Jose. Villa and Arsenal are not title contenders.

Beat Stoke and go on an extended winning streak.

Unread 23-12-2008, 12:51 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Mr Balon D'or has just disappeared up his own arse
I think we're wasting him on the wing. What is the point of our best attacking player receiving the ball 40+ yards from goal, usually with two or three players in front of him? The team we started with on Sunday is (with Berbatov on for Tevez) clearly the manager’s idea of his strongest side. Personally, I'd be tempted to stick Ronnie upfront with Rooney. Ideally, we'd return to the front three that did so well for us last season.

Unread 23-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I think we're wasting him on the wing. What is the point of our best attacking player receiving the ball 40+ yards from goal, usually with two or three players in front of him? The team we started with on Sunday is (with Berbatov on for Tevez) clearly the manager’s idea of his strongest side. Personally, I'd be tempted to stick Ronnie upfront with Rooney. Ideally, we'd return to the front three that did so well for us last season.
I agree, but he's deffo lost focus this year imo.

Unread 23-12-2008, 12:54 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
True but as i say, we are creating enough chances, could've beat Arse about 9-2 for example, we just need to start hitting the target.
I don't think we are. I can recall a number of games where we seemed to have no idea what to do once we had the ball around the edge of our opponents' box.

We've a lot to do before thinking we're going to 'piss the league'. We've not actually won a genuinely hard game yet this season IIRC. Not managed to beat Villarreal, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Villa. Even Spurs and Everton ended in draws so we've nothing to shout about yet.

Unread 23-12-2008, 12:56 PM
armchair

Every season people go over the top imagining every point United drop is the end of the league and that Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are supermen who will win every game.

Yet again Fergie was spot on in highlighting the abundance of tough early season fixtures.

Unread 23-12-2008, 01:00 PM
celtbion

I think given we've played most of the top sides away from home at this stage and it's in our hands to be within a point of the top, things look good.

This Liverpool side flatter to deceive, it's just bog standard "up and at em" football.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
I don't think we are. I can recall a number of games where we seemed to have no idea what to do once we had the ball around the edge of our opponents' box.

We've a lot to do before thinking we're going to 'piss the league'. We've not actually won a genuinely hard game yet this season IIRC. Not managed to beat Villarreal, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Villa. Even Spurs and Everton ended in draws so we've nothing to shout about yet.
I'd agree with this.

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Yes as long as Ronnie bags 40 odd again as that's what made it succesful in the end.

Unread 23-12-2008, 01:04 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Yes as long as Ronnie bags 40 odd again as that's what made it succesful in the end.
Yes, in no small part because of the work done by Rooney and Tevez to support him. And I've no doubt if Ronaldo was played upfront, he'd score at a similar rate to last season.

Unread 23-12-2008, 01:05 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
I'd agree with this.

Merry Xmas Fuzzster

Unread 23-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Yeah you too Fiddy.

Unread 23-12-2008, 01:07 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Yes, in no small part because of the work done by Rooney and Tevez to support him. And I've no doubt if Ronaldo was played upfront, he'd score at a similar rate to last season.
Possibly though I have my doubts. Fergie wants to play Rooney centrally this season though, summat he said on a number of occasions pre-season so it's difficult to do both. Also making out we were rigidly 4-3-3 last season is a bit disigenuous, just as suggesting we are rigidly 4-4-2 this is.

Unread 23-12-2008, 01:24 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Rio Ferdinand
The manager's team talk before the game hit the nail on the head. I won't go into what he said, but he hit a lot of things on the head that we needed to get into gear.

One of the things he said was the fact if we didn't win the Club World Cup it would have a big affect on our season. He stressed it would be a very negative effect.

There are always times when there have been significant moments from the manager, not just team talks, but at different parts of the season, either on the training field or in the changing room.

This was one of them. Sometimes you need to be told the basics and reminded about what got us to where we have been last year and the year before.

Even great players need reminding and we have a few of them in our squad. Young players and senior players all need reminding about basics.

On Sunday night in the final we played like the Manchester United of the last two years. We haven't really done that this season at all.

Hopefully it could be a defining point in our season," added Ferdinand. "It could be a turning point. It could go from being quite mediocre in certain aspects and hopefully turn us into a team challenging for all the honours. We want to be in a good position to strike from.

We are not in that position at the moment, but we will be working towards that and gain a lot of confidence from our performance in Japan.
Like it.

Unread 23-12-2008, 01:29 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Like it.
Rio is Top Dog at United IMO.

Unread 23-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firswood Red
only a few weeks ago we were told that Chelsea, Liverpool & Arsenal were all must win games. Colud get away with drawing the lot and still win the league

Bring on Number 18
actually I - me - yours truly - has been saying for a few weeks that we could draw the home games with chavs and vermin and still afford to lose to arse cus they won't be close enough to matter to us

the forum intelligentsia in their wisdom weren't clued up enough to know it's the truth though

just like they weren't clued up enough to know that we completely controlled last season'ds run-in - with help from some inspirational Tevez - to allow us to be in the best possible shape to take out Barca and win in Moscow

Unread 23-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Rio is Top Dog at United IMO.
He's the only one who should speak to the press, the rest are sycophantic & actually boring as £#%&!.

I'll never buy into this %@#$&!s about Berbatov causing the issues, the issues are clearly the rest of the side playing nowhere near their level, the injuries in midfield & the lack of composure in front of goal from all concerned. Berbatov can get the same criticism as the rest of the forwards for not hitting the back of the net, but it's ridiculous to pin the rest of the problems on him.

We'll kick on from Boxing Day ( if we're not completely £#%&!ed from the flight home) & I'm always confident we can string 10 wins in a row together....

& if we start now, we'll get to the CL knockout games ahead, catch us if you can...

Unread 23-12-2008, 01:41 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Also making out we were rigidly 4-3-3 last season is a bit disigenuous, just as suggesting we are rigidly 4-4-2 this is.
Well, I prefer three in midfield as it makes us a far more solid side. But my only real beef with the tactics this season has been sticking Ronnie on the wing, to make room for Berbatov. Ronaldo is the best attacking player in the side (and the most clinical), so I think he's being wasted. No doubt this, in part, is leading him to act like even more of a slapped arse then usual.

Unread 23-12-2008, 01:42 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
He's the only one who should speak to the press, the rest are sycophantic & actually boring as £#%&!.

I'll never buy into this %@#$&!s about Berbatov causing the issues, the issues are clearly the rest of the side playing nowhere near their level, the injuries in midfield & the lack of composure in front of goal from all concerned. Berbatov can get the same criticism as the rest of the forwards for not hitting the back of the net, but it's ridiculous to pin the rest of the problems on him.

We'll kick on from Boxing Day ( if we're not completely £#%&!ed from the flight home) & I'm always confident we can string 10 wins in a row together....

& if we start now, we'll get to the CL knockout games ahead, catch us if you can...
Yep, Spot on!

Unread 23-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon

Hows the head
Closed Thread