Closed Thread

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:12 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
king went for the ball, missed and got ronnie

its a foul therefore a pen

no argument

its like this stupid idea that if you clean someone out in the box but the ball might b e going out then its not a foul. why? if you go for it and miss taking the player at the same time it doesn't £#%&!ing matter where the ball is. a foul is a foul, there is no @#%&!ing sliding scale because its in the box

more fool you if you give away a 'soft' penalty
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Totally agree.

Ronaldo is on control of that situation, if King goes for the ball, doesn't get it and takes the man (which he definitely does) then it's a penalty. We can over analyse these things. Is Ronaldo looking for it? Doesn't matter. Is Ronaldo's touch heavy? Doesn't matter.

Fair enough - can't really argue with that.
I'm still not convinced it was a pen though.....

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Bunker Buster

I just believe that the game should have played on and this situation shouldnt be over analysed (i'm aware i am)..

It only because its SKY, Ronaldo, A final......

he has a reputation rightly or wrongly, that is stuck in Refs, pundits, media and fans heads....

He splits everyone down the middle, but for once it was just two players that were both Late AND not controlling a football....

Anywhere else on the pitch it may not have been given.....

Why should there be a Black + White....Surely as a physical sport played at the speed it is there will be a GREY area where it is neither a Pen or a Booking.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:15 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Poll
For Ronaldo it could be time to reflect on his reputation which led to Foy not awarding the legitimate penalty - very much a case of the boy who cried wolf.
So the ref has made a biased decision based on previous behavior, not what actually happened, and it's Ronaldo's fault.

Where's the logic in that? The ref is a cheat if he's bringing preconceived prejudice onto the field with him imo.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:16 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
So the ref has made a biased decision based on previous behavior, not what actually happened, and it's Ronaldo's fault.

Where's the logic in that? The ref is a cheat if he's bringing preconceived prejudice onto the field with him imo.
Not a cheat, human.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
I just believe that the game should have played on and this situation shouldnt be over analysed (i'm aware i am)..

he has a reputation rightly or wrongly, that is stuck in Refs, pundits, media and fans heads....

He splits everyone down the middle, but for once it was just two players that were both Late AND not controlling a football....

Why should there be a Black + White....Surely as a physical sport played at the speed it is there will be a GREY area where it is neither a Pen or a Booking.
did king play the ball or the man?

that is the only relevant point

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
I agree he was already going down before King caught him but I'm not convinced it was a dive. More like his momentum + stretching for the ball.

Like I said, no penalty but no yellow either. Mind you, all the pundits on the telly were saying penalty...
Nope

He started going down knowing that he could leave his foot in a way that would make contact with King

Love the player, hate all diving.

Unless its against Liverpool or city

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Ginners

ronaldo was going down before king made contact, wasnt a foul wasnt a dive.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Tumescent Throb

was it Ole who got brought down against the vermin in the 4-0 game for the 2nd pen?

pretty similar to that one anyway, and that was Riley - he's given us virtually £#%&! all ever since

dunk

King on Ronaldo was EXACTLY the same as O'Shea on Modric, for which a free kick was given and most were saying O'Shea should've seen his 2nd yellow for.

armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Not a cheat, human.
It's policy though. Poll used to watch the teams he was going to ref in order for him to mark out people for special treatment. Madness.

Referees should judge based on events they are refereeing, not events they had nothing to do with, like games in the past or newspaper headlines.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:20 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
ronaldo was going down before king made contact, wasnt a foul wasnt a dive.
You were adamant that it was a penalty for Blackburn last week, far lees contact there and Pederson threw himself to the floor.

BulgarianSpectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
I couldn't understand why he stopped the game. We had possession on the edge of their £#%&!ing box. If he wanted to book Ronaldo, wait until there's a break in play ffs.
Because in his opinion, the ref saw that it wasn't a foul by King on Ronaldo (no no free kick, no stop in play), but in his opinion, Ronaldo dived (technically called "simulation"), which is an offence for which he can stop play and book the player.

The Return of JC

Quote:

On the contrary, Ronaldo had possession and merely knocked it a little heavily, he MIGHT have lost control, but his touch past King ensured he didn't.

If two players go for a loose ball in the middle of the pitch, the player who fails to get to the ball will always concede a free kick if they take the man. And rightly so. I fail to see how this is any different, whether Ronaldo has control or not (which I think he does).

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
did king play the ball or the man?

that is the only relevant point
The man.

BUT after ronaldo's Momentum and lack of ball control took him over....

United played on and were attacking from the far side of the box (May have been anderson)

Play on.

No pen No card.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:21 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
It's policy though. Poll used to watch the teams he was going to ref in order for him to mark out people for special treatment. Madness.

Referees should judge based on events they are refereeing, not events they had nothing to do with, like games in the past or newspaper headlines.
Agreed but anybody who saw Ronnie last week and then saw the incident yesterday would struggle to not at least be suspicious.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulgarianSpectator
Because in his opinion, the ref saw that it wasn't a foul by King on Ronaldo (no no free kick, no stop in play), but in his opinion, Ronaldo dived (technically called "simulation"), which is an offence for which he can stop play and book the player.
Why is that your username?

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
On the contrary, Ronaldo had possession and merely knocked it a little heavily, he MIGHT have lost control, but his touch past King ensured he didn't.
He REALLY didnt mate, it was knocked out to the edge of the box and passed on.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
BulgarianSpectator

However, real time, I thought it was a foul and therefore a penalty.

Whether a player is "looking for it", going down easily or not, a foul is a foul anywhere on the park and should be punished accordingly. It pisses me off no end that no foul is ever given for agressive shielding of the ball out of play in the box, whereas the slightest touch or obstruction anywhere else is instantly awarded.

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
The man.

BUT after ronaldo's Momentum and lack of ball control took him over....

United played on and were attacking from the far side of the box (May have been anderson)

Play on.

No pen No card.
it makes no difference if he was already laid out on the pitch when king caught him

if it was play on he would have stopped ronnie being involved in the move by fouling him

Unread 02-03-2009, 01:25 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
He REALLY didnt mate, it was knocked out to the edge of the box and passed on.
I don't understand. Please re-phrase.
Closed Thread