United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-11-2007, 03:10 PM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps

Normal service resumed eh £#%&! stick?

Plenty of clueless Mancs who don't him rate either.
read the full post. it was tongue in cheek comment.

Unread 13-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharath
read the full post. it was tongue in cheek comment.
%@#$&!s that's what you think, only yesterday you were moaning about Wes.

Unread 13-11-2007, 03:33 PM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
%@#$&!s that's what you think, only yesterday you were moaning about Wes.
Almost but not exactly that.

I think he is average at FB and many rate wes because he shows lot of commitment and he is a local lad.

I however do think he is decent at CB.

Unread 13-11-2007, 03:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
many rate wes because he shows lot of commitment and he is a local lad.
So why is Bardsley not rated then?

Wes is rated because he's a fine defender and has proved himself to be a reliable performer over almost ten years years.

Unread 13-11-2007, 03:44 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
So why is Bardsley not rated then?

Wes is rated because he's a fine defender and has proved himself to be a reliable performer over almost ten years years.
Yup. I think Wes is a good fullback defensively who isn't the best going forward but has improved as this season has progressed. I see no problem with this but then I was a big fan of Paulie P.

Unread 13-11-2007, 03:48 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Yup. I think Wes is a good fullback defensively who isn't the best going forward but has improved as this season has progressed. I see no problem with this but then I was a big fan of Paulie P.
It's also worth considering that Wes never claimed to be a right-back and his improvement in the position over the last few months is credit to his attitude. Wes is just about as good a third choice centre-half as you could ask for, but he's adapted to and performed very well out of position recently.

He'll be at United for the rest of his career, I'd imagine, and so he should.

Unread 13-11-2007, 03:51 PM
sharath

Quote:
It's also worth considering that Wes never claimed to be a right-back and his improvement in the position over the last few months is credit to his attitude. Wes is just about as good a third choice centre-half as you could ask for, but he's adapted to and performed very well out of position recently.

He'll be at United for the rest of his career, I'd imagine, and so he should.
I don't blame Wes. I have just said he is a average full back which he is...

whether that is his rightful position or not won't bother me. At present he is playing as a fullback at which he is average.

Unread 13-11-2007, 03:54 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

whether that is his rightful position or not won't bother me. At present he is playing as a fullback at which he is average.
I honestly can't see how the performances Wes has put in recently can be described as merely average. Just a sense of fairness would have to cause you to use the term good I would think.

Unread 13-11-2007, 03:57 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

I thought you were suggesting that the only reason he's getting praise is because he's a local lad. I think a lot of people realise he's possibly not the long-term solution at right-back, but recognise that he's improved tremendously over the last couple of months and he deserves credit for that. Neville developed his attacking game hugely during his late 20s/early30s. Wes may well improve in that respect, too. Either way, I don't think he's average at all, personally. If he were available I think every other club in the Premiership would be interested.

Unread 13-11-2007, 04:07 PM
sharath

Quote:
I thought you were suggesting that the only reason he's getting praise is because he's a local lad. I think a lot of people realise he's possibly not the long-term solution at right-back, but recognise that he's improved tremendously over the last couple of months and he deserves credit for that. Neville developed his attacking game hugely during his late 20s/early30s. Wes may well improve in that respect, too. Either way, I don't think he's average at all, personally. If he were available I think every other club in the Premiership would be interested.
I somehow don't think so...

He had only one year left. If clubs were so desperate for him, they would have made some genuine attempt.

I don't see him having that big a role at Old trafford anyway especially if simpson continues to impress and neville gets back his fitness. Pique has performed very well when he has got the chances and going by fergies comments about him, IMO Pique is effectively ahead of brown for a CB role if vidic or rio get injured.

Unread 13-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Whalefish

Wes entered his last year of his contract this season, it makes no sense for a club to fork out 6/7million in the Summer when he could be got on a free or a nominal fee come January. A £#%&!ing bargain.

I'd hazard a guess that there were a fair few enquiries in the Summer but the player and the club knocked them back.

He'll sign a new deal IMO and I'll be happy when he does. Pique and Simpson will still get games. Personally think O'Shea could find himself on the fringe so to speak. I don't rate him at all fwiw.

Unread 13-11-2007, 04:22 PM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Wes entered his last year of his contract this season, it makes no sense for a club to fork out 6/7million in the Summer when he could be got on a free or a nominal fee come January. A £#%&!ing bargain.

I'd hazard a guess that there were a fair few enquiries in the Summer but the player and the club knocked them back.

He'll sign a new deal IMO and I'll be happy when he does. Pique and Simpson will still get games. Personally think O'Shea could find himself on the fringe so to speak. I don't rate him at all fwiw.
you are saying that as if someone would actually rate him

Unread 13-11-2007, 04:26 PM
dunk

Quote:

He had only one year left. If clubs were so desperate for him, they would have made some genuine attempt.

I don't see him having that big a role at Old trafford anyway especially if simpson continues to impress and neville gets back his fitness. Pique has performed very well when he has got the chances and going by fergies comments about him, IMO Pique is effectively ahead of brown for a CB role if vidic or rio get injured.
So you think that Pique would get picked ahead of Brown in the absence of Rio or Vidic at Anfield? or at Stamford Bridge? If Neville was fit.

I don't think so. In fact, I know not.

Just as Simpson won't be picked ahead of Brown at right back in a meaningful game this season.

quite rightly too.

Unread 13-11-2007, 04:28 PM
antonin jablonsky

Pique might get picked ahead of Wes if Rio was injured, I suspect to replace Vidic it'd be the other way round. That is of course if Wes weren't playing fullback.

Unread 13-11-2007, 04:29 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

How do you know they haven't? And if they haven't perhaps that's because he's unavailable. Fergie would never want Wes to leave and I doubt the player himself would want to play for any other side. But I'm pretty sure if you offered Benitez or Wenger his services as a player they'd both bite your hand off.

Quote:
He's a talented defender with a great attitude. He's been a squad player for most of his time at United yet he's shown nothing but professionalism and dedication. Seems a popular lad among the players, too. He's a red and rarely lets us down on the pitch. A manager's dream, really. These are the type of players every club needs and you can't underestimate how important a role they play.

Unread 13-11-2007, 04:37 PM
dunk

Quote:
How do you know they haven't? And if they haven't perhaps that's because he's unavailable. Fergie would never want Wes to leave and I doubt the player himself would want to play for any other side. But I'm pretty sure if you offered Benitez or Wenger his services as a player they'd both bite your hand off.

He's a talented defender with a great attitude. He's been a squad player for most of his time at United yet he's shown nothing but professionalism and dedication. Seems a popular lad among the players, too. He's a red and rarely lets us down on the pitch. A manager's dream, really. These are the type of players every club needs and you can't underestimate how important a role they play.
Spot on. The same could be said for a few players now and through the years.

Unread 14-11-2007, 05:23 AM
sharath

Quote:

you will see that in a couple of seasons...

Unread 14-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Whalefish

Wes Brown is weeks away from penning a new four-year deal at Manchester United.

The versatile defender is in the last year of his current deal and would be a free agent on New Year's Day.

But Old Trafford chief executive David Gill has met with the England man and his people twice in the last month to thrash out new terms.

Brown's wages of around £30,000 a week will rise by £20,000.

Boss Sir Alex Ferguson once described him as "the most technically gifted defender in England."

Unread 14-11-2007, 09:07 AM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Wes Brown is weeks away from penning a new four-year deal at Manchester United.

The versatile defender is in the last year of his current deal and would be a free agent on New Year's Day.

But Old Trafford chief executive David Gill has met with the England man and his people twice in the last month to thrash out new terms.

Brown's wages of around £30,000 a week will rise by £20,000.

Boss Sir Alex Ferguson once described him as "the most technically gifted defender in England."
yet he has bought many defenders during browns stay here. wonder why?

I have nothing against brown. I did have him as 3rd choice CB for this season and next season. We should replace him after that IMO and i hope that as well. nft.

Unread 14-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Whalefish

Eh? Because you need 4 defenders to play in a defence and arguably 8 defenders in a squad. Chuck in the number of unfortunate injuries Wes has had and I'd hazard a guess that's why.
Closed Thread