United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Give him a third series, you shits?
Yes 83 79.05%
Nah, but thanks 13 12.38%
Need to sleep on it as I'm too emotive rn 9 8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:55 AM
RedNick80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14 View Post
It would be a huge mistake to sack him imo.

It’s clear the players that matter still respect him and want to play for him (Bruno, Martinez, Garnacho, Mainoo, Hoijland) and you build the team around those players.

Two academy players scoring in a cup final win and one of them winning MotM… he’s everything a United coach should be, gives youth the chance to succeed here.

He needs to be backed, needs the right structure above him.
Post. Our best players know.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:56 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
‘Yesterday was nice’ is a slight understatement pal. It was £#%&!ing incredible. and will go down as one of the most memorable fa cup wins in our history.

There’s so many issues to have a go at him over and also many mitigating issues to counter that with but you can’t argue with three finals in two seasons and two cups. One which saw us beat both our main domestic rivals.

It’s not keys to the city tackle but it’s defo another season imo.

Erik in.

Unread 26-05-2024, 11:17 AM
Dr Stranger

If you’re basing a decision purely on league finish and CL, then yeah, he’s toast. That black and white thinking is what has got us into the cycle of binning off managers. ‘If they finish x, they should be sacked’

I’d like to think we’re assessing what he’s done, but also what we think he’ll do.

I don’t watch us and think there’s no chance we’ll improve. The injuries don’t excuse how bad we’ve been and he should have handled them better, but they do explain why we so rarely see the team he wants us to be

Yesterday was much closer to fully fit squad and we were levels better for it. We’ve seen it in flashes this season, again when we’ve had more players available. It doesn’t define the season or the decision to sack him, but it doesn’t do him any harm. It was the difference between silverware and nothing, and it was as an example of what he’s capable of as a coach. He got it right and it won us the FA Cup against the best team in the world. It reminds a struggling squad what they can, it gets the winning habit in place and provides a platform and some confidence for next season. It’s more than just winning one game.

There’s a terrific core of young players that are thriving largely due to the faith he’s shown in them. That’s a massive tick in the pros colum. His signings are a mixed bag, but Hojlund and Martinez are gems and all his signings have strong personalities, a bit of character and I wouldn’t write any of them off yet because of that.

We saw plenty of promise in his first season too. There’s lots of examples over the two of years of what we could be. There’s every reason to think we will improve with a few signings, some proper structure above and better luck with injuries (and maybe assessing why the £#%&! we’ve had so many), certainly enough to not abandon it for highly questionable alternatives.

There’s massive question marks, of course and they will carry into next season if he stays. And that’s fine. If we’re six months into next season and we’re seeing the same issue, then the decision is clearer. I’d feel more confident that it’s the right choice to sack him.

IMO, there’s enough positives and shoots of progress to keep going. And the alternative options are shit.

Unread 26-05-2024, 11:22 AM
Lok

Yesterday was amazing. One of the best since Fergie's days.

But...

We finished the season with a negative goal difference. Only one team in all of the top leagues across Europe conceded more shots than us. We finished 8th. We were routinely beaten by extremely poor sides. Our biggest rivals have absolutely humiliated us including conceding 7 goals on one occasion. He has wasted hundreds of millions of pounds on players he's worked with and should have known weren't good enough. He has handled the (admittedly difficult) situations with Ronaldo, Sancho and DDG extremely poorly. We suffered our worst champions league campaign ever. We were hammered by injuries which him himself admitted were a result of his training.

There is no way in this world any top club could keep him after the season we've had. The high emotions of yesterday cannot cloud decision-making.

Thanks for yesterday. Thanks for giving Garnacho and Mainoo a chance. Thanks for Martinez (if he stays fit now). But goodbye. Good luck back at ajax.

Unread 26-05-2024, 11:46 AM
larry

out-er numbers dwindling
only morons and non-utd fans left as evident from the above post

Unread 26-05-2024, 12:00 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lok View Post
Yesterday was amazing. One of the best since Fergie's days.

But...

We finished the season with a negative goal difference. Only one team in all of the top leagues across Europe conceded more shots than us. We finished 8th. We were routinely beaten by extremely poor sides. Our biggest rivals have absolutely humiliated us including conceding 7 goals on one occasion. He has wasted hundreds of millions of pounds on players he's worked with and should have known weren't good enough. He has handled the (admittedly difficult) situations with Ronaldo, Sancho and DDG extremely poorly. We suffered our worst champions league campaign ever. We were hammered by injuries which him himself admitted were a result of his training.

There is no way in this world any top club could keep him after the season we've had. The high emotions of yesterday cannot cloud decision-making.

Thanks for yesterday. Thanks for giving Garnacho and Mainoo a chance. Thanks for Martinez (if he stays fit now). But goodbye. Good luck back at ajax.
I don't disagree with any of that and have been saying the same all season...

,,,but, two cups in two seasons is not to be sniffed at, especially beating city in the final. I still worry about his communication and God knows what's been going on behind the scenes with injuries, but Poch and Tuchel don't feel like much of an upgrade after yesterday. Have a feeling it's already been decided - seemed to be the subtext after the final.

Unread 26-05-2024, 12:30 PM
Dasilvatwins

At the very least he is shown he has tactical acumen and the ability the form a way of playing.

Something he largely gets criticised for. It’s clear ability of players hampering his primary way of playing but when push comes to shove like yesterday, he set them up in a way and kept city out of the game. Even the goal city scored was an Onana mistake.they didn’t have a clear cut chance all game.

He has the ability . A lot of people get mocked on here saying two CBs shouldn’t make that much of an issue but you saw yesterday just how much they do.

Like somebody mentioned yday on here, if ETH wasn’t at the club and just did that against pep in a final he would be favourite to take over as manager for us.

The league has been a disaster and not good enough but the manager isn’t this clueless guy . We finished 3rd last season and a trophy. It wasn’t this bad last season.

I hope he stays. Atleast one more season to see what he can do with a proper structure and better players to play a system he wants.

Unread 26-05-2024, 12:37 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
You can’t sack a manager who gets to three major finals in his first two seasons, winning two of them, with officially the longest injury list of anyone.

£#%&! Tuchel and £#%&! Pochettino. £#%&! off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
‘Yesterday was nice’ is a slight understatement pal. It was £#%&!ing incredible. and will go down as one of the most memorable fa cup wins in our history.

There’s so many issues to have a go at him over and also many mitigating issues to counter that with but you can’t argue with three finals in two seasons and two cups. One which saw us beat both our main domestic rivals.

It’s not keys to the city tackle but it’s defo another season imo.

Erik in.

This could finish the outers off.

New poll, Esters?

Unread 26-05-2024, 12:46 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post
out-er numbers dwindling
…. And those who can’t handle mouthy Bert’s or were born under peak Fergie

Unread 26-05-2024, 12:49 PM
armchair

Unread 26-05-2024, 12:52 PM
redspike

think he deserves another year with the new regime in place

Unread 26-05-2024, 12:58 PM
larry

the core of our team and our future (licha, dalot, mainoo, bruno, nacho, rasmus) will be fuming if jim sacks him
it'll be an absolute shit show next season and whatever @#%&! we bring in won't get the same out of them
jim has to know this

Unread 26-05-2024, 01:02 PM
BigRonManager

Quote:
the core of our team and our future (licha, dalot, mainoo, bruno, nacho, rasmus) will be fuming if jim sacks him
it'll be an absolute shit show next season and whatever @#%&! we bring in won't get the same out of them
jim has to know this

I think they’ll change their minds. The smart money says they shouldn’t but I think they will, especially now we’re back in Europe.

Unread 26-05-2024, 01:03 PM
jem

Quote:
out-er numbers dwindling
judging your post by your own standards, you would appear to have lost the argument. you idiot.

Unread 26-05-2024, 01:08 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonManager View Post
I think they’ll change their minds. The smart money says they shouldn’t
nothing smart about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
judging your post by your own standards, you would appear to have lost the argument. you idiot.
good one

Unread 26-05-2024, 01:08 PM
magic_cantona

£#%&! it, deserves another season.

Unread 26-05-2024, 01:11 PM
BigRonManager

Quote:
nothing smart about it
Generally speaking, it’s not wise to make decisions this important off the back of one game or one moment. You should always judge based on league performance because it mitigates the fortune of knockout tournaments. We were in two leagues and shat the bed in both, thats just a fact.

If I were Ratcliffe I’d give him the last year of his contract, but wouldnt have much confidence I was doing the right thing tbh.

Unread 26-05-2024, 01:19 PM
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonManager View Post
Generally speaking, it’s not wise to make decisions this important off the back of one game or one moment. You should always judge based on league performance because it mitigates the fortune of knockout tournaments. We were in two leagues and shat the bed in both, thats just a fact.

If I were Ratcliffe I’d give him the last year of his contract, but wouldnt have much confidence I was doing the right thing tbh.
i agree / hope that jim won't make a decision based on one game but i'm hoping the guardian exclusive was fake news
if he's already made his mind up to sack 10h then it's not a 'smart money' decision, it's a terrible decision which will isolate the most important players in our squad and mean another start from scratch rebuild (how many is it now?)

Unread 26-05-2024, 01:23 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona View Post
£#%&! it, deserves another season.

Yeah, give him another season, ya shit

Unread 26-05-2024, 01:26 PM
My Name is Heath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post

Yeah, give him another season, ya shit