United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-09-2008, 10:57 AM
BarryX

As Fuzzy say's...different teams for different situations.

My personal dream team looks likes this, not saying is workable, but its the one I'd like to see used to rip a few new arseholes this season...

Foster (step up to the plate, young man, and use that distribution to attack).

Raf (swapping at half time for Fab)
Vidic
Ferdinand
Evra

Cougar (just ahead of front five, drifting forward at times, affording cover at others)

Anderson (swapping for Ji Sung Park after 60 mins)
Carrick
Ronaldo

Tevez
Berbatov

(And a pissed off rooney on for either Tevez or Berbie at the same time as Park. I wouldn't start Rooney unless Park starts.)

Unread 05-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I'm not so sure about that. Just because Fergie decided that was the most appropriate team to beat Chelsea on the night doesn't necessarily mean that he thought it was his overall "best team". For example, there was clearly a deliberate ploy to overload the right hand side of the pitch and thus draw Chelsea over, getting Ronaldo isolated against Essien out on the left. The way the team was set out, in a 4-4-2 with Hargreaves on the right and Ronaldo (unusually) staying wide as a fairly orthodox left winger, obviously reflected this game plan. Against different opposition, the line up and shape of the team could well have been a little different.
is the correct answer....

The squad is so £#%&!ing big & strong now that tactically (oh shit, CQ has gone ) we are capable of not only putting out various different starting XI's but one's that wouldn't necessarily be the best for 3 games running against different opposition.

Case in point was the CL final. & more so this season I suspect.

Time was - even recently - that our starting XI, in a 4-4-2 formation would be strong enough to beat anyone, regardless. Except... well it wasn't was it, except in '99 to be fair. So the adaption to 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1 or the good old 4-4-2 albeit as described by SN above for the CL final means we can find solutions to problems the opposition now can't even begin to get their head around.

It's also Fergie's dream to have this much tinkering available to him, but given he got it so right last season we'll have to see what he does now we (hopefully) have a fit striker to add to the mix.

---------------------VDS-----------------------

Wes-----------Rio-----------Vidic----------Evra

--------------Anderson----Hargreaves----------

Ronaldo-------------Rooney--------------Tevez

-------------------Berbatov-------------------

is my preferred "batter them" at home formation. It's flexible enough to allow the full backs to bomb on big time & Ando / Cougar to fill in, Tevez & Rooney do enough work closing down ahead of the midfield that we can get by without the previous incarnation of hard working wingers like Beckham & Giggs in front of the back 4. As such Ronnie gets the freedom he had last season to almost have the free role that he exploited so ruthlessly last term. Berbatov isn't isolated as Ronnie, Tevez, Rooney (delete as applicable) have enough nous to join him & rotate amongst themselves as to leave their opposite numbers some what clueless.

I'm frapping myself silly at the prospect of a fit United squad & a run of games... thank £#%&! we've got a no.9.

Unread 05-09-2008, 11:15 AM
borsuk

vds
wes - rio - vidic - evra
hargreaves/carrick - scoles
ronnie - tevez/rooney - giggs
berbatov

*depends on the opposition, upcoming matches etc.

atm, but it's just a paper game - can anyone remember a match where we didn't have somebody injured or suspended?

anyway, fit and rested, scholes and giggs are still two of the first names on the team sheet for me. carrick is crucial, as the zenit match should have made clear to anyone watching.

can't believe how many people can't see the role these three players have in our team tbh.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:01 PM
nick henry

i think it is surprising how many people are omitting Rooney from their preferred starting 11. This would have been unthinkable in many peoples eyes a year ago, maybe less, but goes to show not only what an impact Tevez has had but how Rooneys form is perceived to have dipped to such a level tha people are considering a striker that hasnt played for us yet in front of him. All this after a season that we ended as English and European Champions.

IMO i think (hope) we will see him return to his best now we have a forward in the side that Rooney can play off.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick henry
i think it is surprising how many people are omitting Rooney from their preferred starting 11. This would have been unthinkable in many peoples eyes a year ago, maybe less, but goes to show not only what an impact Tevez has had but how Rooneys form is perceived to have dipped to such a level tha people are considering a striker that hasnt played for us yet in front of him. All this after a season that we ended as English and European Champions.

IMO i think (hope) we will see him return to his best now we have a forward in the side that Rooney can play off.

Considering our pitiful record when he didn't play last season, it is all the more surprising.

Was it one game we lost he played? Portsmouth in the Cup?

I know he played at Chelsea, but it was 1-1 when he went off!

His presence undoubtedly has an effect on the side, I think it also greatly helps Ronaldo.

For me, he is the first name on the teamsheet.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Ether

People putting Berbie in, ffs

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:26 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
What's the issue, the manager of Manchester United did just break our transfer record for him, it isn't entirely out of the question that he might be thought by some to be worthy of a place in our best side. It certainly isn't a thought worthy of a ffs and a , I don't think.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:27 PM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Considering our pitiful record when he didn't play last season, it is all the more surprising.

His presence undoubtedly has an effect on the side, I think it also greatly helps Ronaldo.

I know... how else ronaldo would have managed 42 goals?

those headers, those free kicks, those solo runs, that back heel?

£#%&! off ronaldo, you ungrateful @#%&!!! thank rooney.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
What's the issue, the manager of Manchester United did just break our transfer record for him, it isn't entirely out of the question that he might be thought by some to be worthy of a place in our best side. It certainly isn't a thought worthy of a ffs and a , I don't think.
Well I think it is so £#%&! off.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
I know... how else ronaldo would have managed 42 goals?

those headers, those free kicks, those solo runs, that back heel?

£#%&! off ronaldo, you ungrateful @#%&!!! thank rooney.
Thanks for that, you brain dead cretin.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:31 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Well I think it is so £#%&! off.
£#%&! off? I was perfectly reasonable and reasoned in my post and that's what you come up with. Deary me, why so angry? It's just a discussion of what a god squad United now have after all, surely a good reason for being content at least?

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:31 PM
nick henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao

i agree with just about all of that. The thing with Rooney is that he is a victim of his own attitude. Not many "stars" would be happy to play here there and everywhere for the good of the team. Wherever he plays he is a still a threat and gives his all selflessly for the good of the side. i am glad SAF isnt as fickle as some on here.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I was perfectly reasonable and reasoned in my post
Would you like a medal?

Go away.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Baron

Thumbs up

Quote:
some of us have a little more foresight to recognise what he's going to bring to the side.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:35 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Would you like a medal?

Go away.
Whatever, you carry on in your mood.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Tumescent Throb

VDS

Brown
Ferdinand
Vidic

Hargreaves
Carrick
Scholes
Giggs
Evra

Rooney
Ronaldo

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
some of us have a little more foresight to recognise what he's going to bring to the side.
Excellent. You'd probably have put Veron in our 'best side' too though.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:38 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick henry
i agree with just about all of that. The thing with Rooney is that he is a victim of his own attitude. Not many "stars" would be happy to play here there and everywhere for the good of the team. Wherever he plays he is a still a threat and gives his all selflessly for the good of the side. i am glad SAF isnt as fickle as some on here.
I don't think it's a matter of underestimating Rooney for most, at the moment he isn't playing that well and Tevez is so it's pretty reasonable, if you are only playing one or the other, to pick Tevez on current form I'd think. I don't think it's fickleness either, I think most here would be very happy with Rooney in the team, even if he wouldn't necassarily be in their preferred "best" team. Not everything has to enbd up playing one Player off againnst another, the fact is we now have a great squad which should be seen as a good thing.

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:41 PM
dodger

Quote:
Would you like a medal?

Go away.
Spazmo

Unread 05-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Baron

Quote:
Excellent. You'd probably have put Veron in our 'best side' too though.
Only in Europe tbf.
Closed Thread