naes_sean

Default Re: MOTM vs Everton

I was knackered just watching Evra. he was class today

Unread 22-11-2009, 12:12 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up Re: MOTM vs Everton

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Evra for me - to play to that level and not tire after playing 120 minutes in France midweek is incredible, tbh. What an athlete. Just superb.
Great shout. On a day that Wenger rolled out the international break excuse, I doubt any of his players will have done more running in midweek than Pat. Phenomenal player.

Unread 22-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Sloppy

Evra followed by fletcher.Thought valencia played well and so did rafael.I hope rafael plays more games,he offers so much more going forward than oshea.

Unread 22-11-2009, 03:04 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Evra followed by fletcher.Thought valencia played well and so did rafael.I hope rafael plays more games,he offers so much more going forward than oshea.
he does but he was getting found out physically at times. got booked for an unnecessary tackle on cahill (who was getting under his skin) and was struggling at times. he's a great kid and will be a class player but he's defensively suspect as yet and i'd far rather see o'shea in the bigger games.

Unread 22-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Coracao

bump

Unread 22-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
he does but he was getting found out physically at times. got booked for an unnecessary tackle on cahill (who was getting under his skin) and was struggling at times. he's a great kid and will be a class player but he's defensively suspect as yet and i'd far rather see o'shea in the bigger games.
Didn't see any of that tbh. Whenever Cahill tried to get passed him with the ball at his feet, Rafael stopped him fairly. He offered a lot more going forwards which - in games like yesterday - is vital. Only time he struggled was during the second when they began lumping the ball towards the 6ft 5in Belgian.

In fact I'd go as far to say that's the quietest I've seen Cahill in a while and that was - in part - down to Rafael playing him very well. Waddle has no love for Utd but called it right when he came off, he'd had a very good game.

I also thought he was booked for the foul on Saha, which was a cynical/tactical job. He won't be the first or last to do that.

Unread 22-11-2009, 11:07 PM
RedMenace

Spot on Whalefish. He was booked for fouling Saha who'd broken away after Rafael had been on an attack, the foul was well into the Everton half. He tried to catch him up but Saha was too quick. Otherwise I didn't notice him make bad mistakes and did notice him make several good interceptions and tackles.

Unread 22-11-2009, 11:15 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Didn't see any of that tbh. Whenever Cahill tried to get passed him with the ball at his feet, Rafael stopped him fairly. He offered a lot more going forwards which - in games like yesterday - is vital. Only time he struggled was during the second when they began lumping the ball towards the 6ft 5in Belgian.

In fact I'd go as far to say that's the quietest I've seen Cahill in a while and that was - in part - down to Rafael playing him very well. Waddle has no love for Utd but called it right when he came off, he'd had a very good game.

I also thought he was booked for the foul on Saha, which was a cynical/tactical job. He won't be the first or last to do that.
yeah, the tackle was on saha but cahill was using his experience to get little niggles in and i though rafael was starting to lose control a bit and was in danger of a red - as, i suspect, did fergie, hence the substitution.

i like rafael a lot but i think he's quite raw as yet and playing him in the biggest games is still a risk.

Unread 22-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Whalefish

If I was a betting man the substitution was down to the Belgian starting the second half on the left. Three long balls led to three half chances/openings, nothing major but the lad won three headers and Rafael couldn't do much about it. The lad's got a decent leap on him but he's no Evra.

Other than that I didn't see much to fault in his performance and I'd say he had Cahill in his back pocket.

I don't believe he's defensively suspect either. Not bad for a 19 year old with limited first team experience (here and in Brazil). The argument most give that he simply lunges in makes me chuckle. When Neville's isolated one and one he still does the same.

Unread 22-11-2009, 11:32 PM
borsuk

Quote:
If I was a betting man the substitution was down to the Belgian starting the second half on the left. Three long balls led to three half chances/openings, nothing major but the lad won three headers and Rafael couldn't do much about it. The lad's got a decent leap on him but he's no Evra.

Other than that I didn't see much to fault in his performance and I'd say he had Cahill in his back pocket.

I don't believe he's defensively suspect either. Not bad for a 19 year old with limited first team experience (here and in Brazil). The argument most give that he simply lunges in makes me chuckle. When Neville's isolated one and one he still does the same.
i think he's superb. but i think o'shea gets ott criticism and rafael is the new forum darling, all a bit out of proportion.

can't help smiling every time i watch rafael though

you see that thread with the quotes from some hack or other about ' despite early promise, the da silva twins have failed to break though'

Unread 22-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Whalefish

Quote:
i think he's superb. but i think o'shea gets ott criticism and rafael is the new forum darling, all a bit out of proportion.

can't help smiling every time i watch rafael though

you see that thread with the quotes from some hack or other about ' despite early promise, the da silva twins have failed to break though'
He does but some of it is perfectly justified. How long has he been a defender? Or played at full back? He still struggles to stop a cross. Passing is still a weakness too. He's a very good squad player but I don't think he should ever be first choice. This rotating right back position is a problem and it needs sorting.

I can't say I've seen too many posts/comments in recent months that have lauded Rafael or raised him to the level of forum darling. Yesterday was encouraging given the amount of games he's missed this season. IMO what he brings in an attacking sense has certainly been missed though.

That hack was writing utter shit tbh.

Unread 23-11-2009, 12:31 AM
borsuk

Quote:
He does but some of it is perfectly justified. How long has he been a defender? Or played at full back? He still struggles to stop a cross. Passing is still a weakness too. He's a very good squad player but I don't think he should ever be first choice. This rotating right back position is a problem and it needs sorting.

I can't say I've seen too many posts/comments in recent months that have lauded Rafael or raised him to the level of forum darling. Yesterday was encouraging given the amount of games he's missed this season. IMO what he brings in an attacking sense has certainly been missed though.

That hack was writing utter shit tbh.
can't argue with that. i'd be happy for rafael to get it for most games but it's going to mean some £#%&! ups from time to time. all part of giving young lads their chance.

Unread 23-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Coracao

bttt

Unread 23-11-2009, 01:54 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
can't argue with that. i'd be happy for rafael to get it for most games but it's going to mean some £#%&! ups from time to time. all part of giving young lads their chance.
I'd love Rafael to be given the next 5 or 6 starts at right back, think it'd add a new dimension to our play and really help out Valencia.

Unread 23-11-2009, 02:12 PM
poppy

With Evra and Rafael as your fullbacks, and Rooney and Owen as your strikers, a quite tall team (and one that's arguably the best at defending set pieces in the league) becomes a touch too small (for certain games). I think that was why both Carrick and Fletcher started in centre mid on Saturday.

Fergie won't contemplate starting the Pompey game with a small side. That being their only way of really getting at us.

Unread 23-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Coracao

final bump
Closed Thread