Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
super john carew
that doesn't actually sound so da....

nope not going there

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Zorg

What puzzles me is that Fergie was on record complaining about Martin Edwards lack of understanding after the Treble, as Edwards couldn't grasp why Fergie wanted more players. You strengthen when you're at the top, that's how you progress and dominate. You don't sit back and say 'well we've just won the double'.

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:10 PM
£#%&! KFC

Campbell's not up to it yet not by a long way

I'm starting to feel very concerned about the lack of transfer activity when Berbatov was a done deal 10 days ago we have hung the @#%&! out to dry by making him ask for a transfer to save those @#%&!s a bit of money and then doing...nothing

we are very light up front even allowing for Tevez return we need at least one striker and a wide player....I heard today that Ronaldo won't in fact be back until November no wonder his 'dream move' fizzled out

given that our next two league games after Monday are the Dippers and Chelski (who will have already played an extra game) we could be in deep shit before September is out

we also need a No2 who knows wtf he's doing

but apart fvrom that it's all gravy

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:12 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
What puzzles me is that Fergie was on record complaining about Martin Edwards lack of understanding after the Treble, as Edwards couldn't grasp why Fergie wanted more players. You strengthen when you're at the top, that's how you progress and dominate. You don't sit back and say 'well we've just won the double'.
or you could weaken from a position of strength like FC did

but agreed with your post entirely.....we have now entered another 'eye off the ball period' from SAF imo

we are ONE title away from 18 ...£#%&! the European Cup I want that 18th

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
we have now entered another 'eye off the ball period' from SAF imo
Don't judge him too soon will you

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:22 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Don't judge him too soon will you

not judging anything but we have all summer to strengthen the squad and haven't done it...we now have eight days

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Elsey

Berbatov was sent in by Ramos at training today with Spurs for not training properly.

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:27 PM
hopkins

When's Manucho fit again?

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
but there are plenty of goals in the team. it's unlikely that ronnie will be as prolific this season, but i'd say it's equally unlikely that carrick, hargreaves, scholes and anderson will score so few.
Aside from Anderson, I'm not so sure about that. Both Carrick and Hargreaves score very few goals; they've rarely got more than a couple each season in their careers and they’re unlikely to really change that now. The same appears to be the case for Fletcher, they're just not goalscoring midfield players and probably never will be. Scholes is capable of more, of course, but if anything his goals return is decreasing with every season and as he gets older he's finding it harder to support the attack and get into goalscoring positions.

Anderson will certainly get more (improving on nothing isn't hard) and I'd expect Nani to up his tally, but with Giggs getting very few these days and Park the same, I do think the lack of goals from midfield is a problem that will probably continue.

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:32 PM
RedMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsey
Berbatov was sent in by Ramos at training today with Spurs for not training properly.
Without getting into the usual arguments over his professionalism you'd have to think they'll sell him if they can get someone else in. His humour is hardly going to improve if they don't.

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:35 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
not judging anything but we have all summer to strengthen the squad and haven't done it...we now have eight days
To be fair, there are very few players available that would strengthen the team. Berbatov is one of the very few strikers available that would, so it's understandable that the club would go to such effort to get him.

In 99, we definitely should have gone all out in the summer. A world class CB to play alongside Stam (Thuram), a left back and a quality goalkeeper were all urgently needed. This time around, apart from the striker department, it's difficult to see where we can make any substantial improvement?

It’s the lack of squad players that’s a worry for me. I think the squad depth (up front and defensively) could be an issue this season. If the twins and Evans step up, we should be ok at the back. But upfront, we're already struggling without Ronaldo. Any sort of long term injury to Tevez or Rooney and it's very difficult to see where the goals will come from.

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
To be fair, there are very few players available that would strengthen the team. Berbatov is one of the very few strikers available that would, so it's understandable that the club would go to such effort to get him.

In 99, we definitely should have gone all out in the summer. A world class CB to play alongside Stam (Thuram), a left back and a quality goalkeeper were all urgently needed. This time around, apart from the striker department, it's difficult to see where we can make any substantial improvement?

It’s the lack of squad players that’s a worry for me. I think the squad depth (up front and defensively) could be an issue this season. If the twins and Evans step up, we should be ok at the back. But upfront, we're already struggling without Ronaldo. Any sort of long term injury to Tevez or Rooney and it's very difficult to see where the goals will come from.
We should just pay the £#%&!ing cash for Berbatov. Simple.

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
We should just pay the £#%&!ing cash for Berbatov. Simple.
We don't have the £#%&!ing cash for Berbatov. Simple.

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:43 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher

well that's my whole point, forget the defence it's quality, but would like to see Foster play more

midfield...we lack a high scoring midfielder, Scholesy can't do that 10-15 goals a season any more we relied on the rest will come nowhere near double figures... the fact Ronaldo now looks like being out until November is scary, and we defo need a striker, maybe even two as you can't count that @#%&! Saha and Campbell will go on loan IF we get Berbatov

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Aside from Anderson, I'm not so sure about that. Both Carrick and Hargreaves score very few goals; they've rarely got more than a couple each season in their careers and they’re unlikely to really change that now. The same appears to be the case for Fletcher, they're just not goalscoring midfield players and probably never will be. Scholes is capable of more, of course, but if anything his goals return is decreasing with every season and as he gets older he's finding it harder to support the attack and get into goalscoring positions.

Anderson will certainly get more (improving on nothing isn't hard) and I'd expect Nani to up his tally, but with Giggs getting very few these days and Park the same, I do think the lack of goals from midfield is a problem that will probably continue.
I agree entirely with that, the lack of goals from midfield was a genuine weakness last season. Fletcher if he played enough may end up being the highest scoring of our midfield unit. You might laugh but in the CS and against Newcastle he has been making the type of runs and continually getting into positions that will enable him to score goals, rather Lampard like in fact. Being 5ht choice will stop this but some of the others could watch him.

More willingness to get beyond the strikers would be helpful, the only one of our natural top 4 midfielders who did that last season was Hargreaves against Roma, Scholes is no longer that type, Anderson is as of now clueless in the final third and Carrick is a deep lying player as well.

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester
We don't have the £#%&!ing cash for Berbatov. Simple.
So why go through all the shit of tapping him up, unsettling him, and talking about how we've got "a few people we're looking at".

If I've got £#%&! all money I don't wander round Sainburys for an hour loading my trolley with shit, asking the staff to check out back for stuff that isn't on the shelf, then leave it all lying in the middle of an aisle. I've got better things to do.

Like post on here.

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:45 PM
ScarFace

Very few players to make the team better. TONS to make the £#%&!ing squad better.

£#%&!ing Julie from RI would be better than Saha

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
So why go through all the shit of tapping him up, unsettling him, and talking about how we've got "a few people we're looking at".

If I've got £#%&! all money I don't wander round Sainburys for an hour loading my trolley with shit, then leave it lying in the middle of an aisle. I've got better things to do.

Like post on here.
At Tottenham's price, as a package deal, United can't afford him.

If Tottenham agree to let him go on tick, plus win bonuses, then we can afford him.

Will Tottenham crack? If they get Ashavin, then no doubt they will and he will join us on our terms. If not, then it'll be just Manucho who is coming in after getting his work permit this afternoon.

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Tumescent Throb

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
I agree entirely with that, the lack of goals from midfield was a genuine weakness last season. Fletcher if he played enough may end up being the highest scoring of our midfield unit. You might laugh but in the CS and against Newcastle he has been making the type of runs and continually getting into positions that will enable him to score goals, rather Lampard like in fact. Being 5ht choice will stop this but some of the others could watch him.

More willingness to get beyond the strikers would be helpful, the only one of our natural top 4 midfielders who did that last season was Hargreaves against Roma, Scholes is no longer that type, Anderson is as of now clueless in the final third and Carrick is a deep lying player as well.
yes, was going to mention how under-rated his attacking potential is, on this board at least*, but couldn't be arsed

*and firstly in the football media, obviously

Unread 22-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester

If not, then it'll be just Manucho who is coming in after getting his work permit this afternoon.
Can anyone else confirm this?
Closed Thread