United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 09-12-2023, 08:22 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Been out all day, just seen the score - genuinely WTF?
The owners insisted that ten hag play Martial from the start pal. I know, everyone was fuming.

Unread 09-12-2023, 08:24 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
The owners insisted that ten hag play Martial from the start pal. I know, everyone was fuming.
You jest, but isn't he actually Joel Glazer's favourite player or something?

Unread 09-12-2023, 08:49 PM
Stickman

Emery inherited far worse from Gerrard.

To not think Erik should be doing quite a bit better than he is just blindly kidding his backside.

We’ve next to nothing to be optimistic about on the pitch.

Unread 09-12-2023, 08:55 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Emery inherited far worse from Gerrard.
Gerrard is a genuinely shit manager in the way EtH, whatever his failings, is not.

And, again, he has owners who are bothered about the club.

Unread 09-12-2023, 08:56 PM
Sparky***

It's also worth pointing out that in that starting 11 today only Antony and the goalkeeper are Ten Hag's permanent signings.

And maybe he started martial because Hojlund is close to being over-used? I'm sure we'd all go mental if he ended up getting a long term injury due to him being run into the ground. Obviously we all hate Martial and know he's shit but what's the manager supposed to do? That's literally all we have.

We've got a young argentinan rookie on the left who should be coming on for half an hour at the end of games not playing 90 mins 3 times a week but we have to play him because the only other option we have is a Marcus "2 Rollers" Rashford who has written off as many luxury cars as he has scored goals this season. On the other side it's a choice between a bloke who's spent more time in Brazil doing tv interviews and talking to lawyers than playing this season or the Uruguayan Dan James. Those are our options. Manchester United 2023.

Then there's the entire starting midfield from last season that is currently injured so we have to use a loan from a mid-table Italian club because heaven forbid we have any actual squad depth and Scotland's starting centre back in there. Or we just throw an 18 year old kid in there to try and dicatate an entire midfield on his own. Then there's our captain who had one of his '£#%&! the ball anywhere' afternoons and set up bournemouth lovely for their goal in the first 5 mins. He crowned his afternoon by getting himself a weekend off next week.

Then there's the defence which consisted of a left back that wasn't good enough for spurs, our best left back being played as a centre back because our best centre back is shock horror - injured and of course our Portuguese moron right back who just might be the thickest footballer i've ever seen.

Maguire actually look half decent in spite of himself tbh.

Unread 09-12-2023, 09:10 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Gerrard is a genuinely shit manager in the way EtH, whatever his failings, is not.

And, again, he has owners who are bothered about the club.
I don’t think you got my point. It’s an ETH Emery comparison not ETH Gerrard.

Unread 09-12-2023, 09:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I don’t think you got my point. It’s an ETH Emery comparison not ETH Gerrard.
Maybe it's a case of right manager, right club, right time with Emery?

How did he get on at Arsenal? Or PSG?

Clubs where he's expected to achieve top honours?

Unread 09-12-2023, 09:15 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Or Villareal where he won a european trophy.

Unread 09-12-2023, 09:24 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Or Villareal where he won a european trophy.
Right so maybe he's a very good manager who works well in medium/small football clubs?

Because he's had to two cracks at managing clubs of high expectations and failed both times.

Unread 09-12-2023, 09:28 PM
Zorg

Martial’s gonna see off another manager isn’t he

Unread 09-12-2023, 09:30 PM
Ethers

Quote:

Far too sensible a way of looking at it.

Unread 09-12-2023, 09:46 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Right so maybe he's a very good manager who works well in medium/small football clubs?

Because he's had to two cracks at managing clubs of high expectations and failed both times.
Don’t see how he really failed at PSG tbh. Also did alright with Sevilla.

At Sevilla, Emery won an unprecedented three consecutive Europa Leagues, and moved to French club Paris Saint-Germain in 2016. There, he won a Ligue 1 title, two Coupe de France titles, two Coupe de la Ligues, and two Trophée des Champions, which included a domestic quadruple in his second season.

But my point isn’t Emery should be managing Man United, it’s that you can inherit a team and make it better than the sum of its parts. They’ve gone from relegation flirting to title challenging flirting with (I think) the 3rd best form in the league over a year-18 months.

Unread 09-12-2023, 09:50 PM
larry

the uruguayan dan james is such a lazy ill informed comparison
they don't have even remotely similar styles, pellistri is actually a gifted talented football
dan james can run fast but can't play football

use the uruguayan messi in future

Unread 09-12-2023, 09:59 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Don’t see how he really failed at PSG tbh. Also did alright with Sevilla.

At Sevilla, Emery won an unprecedented three consecutive Europa Leagues, and moved to French club Paris Saint-Germain in 2016. There, he won a Ligue 1 title, two Coupe de France titles, two Coupe de la Ligues, and two Trophée des Champions, which included a domestic quadruple in his second season.

But my point isn’t Emery should be managing Man United, it’s that you can inherit a team and make it better than the sum of its parts. They’ve gone from relegation flirting to title challenging flirting with (I think) the 3rd best form in the league over a year-18 months.
Yes you can inherit a team and make it better. That's hardly a stunning revelation. It's very easy to point at manager like say, Graham Potter and say look what he's doing with Brighton. Pluck them out of that environment and parachute them into a £#%&!ing basket case like Chelsea and watch it swallow them up.

Manchester United doesn't need a "manager who will make a silk purse out of a sows ear" they need a complete £#%&!ing scorched earth rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
the uruguayan dan james is such a lazy ill informed comparison
they don't have even remotely similar styles, pellistri is actually a gifted talented football
dan james can run fast but can't play football

use the uruguayan messi in future
Larry, sometimes I'll type glib things on the internet because it sounds funny.

Unread 09-12-2023, 10:07 PM
Dacter

Quote:
It's also worth pointing out that in that starting 11 today only Antony and the goalkeeper are Ten Hag's permanent signings.

And maybe he started martial because Hojlund is close to being over-used? I'm sure we'd all go mental if he ended up getting a long term injury due to him being run into the ground. Obviously we all hate Martial and know he's shit but what's the manager supposed to do? That's literally all we have.

We've got a young argentinan rookie on the left who should be coming on for half an hour at the end of games not playing 90 mins 3 times a week but we have to play him because the only other option we have is a Marcus "2 Rollers" Rashford who has written off as many luxury cars as he has scored goals this season. On the other side it's a choice between a bloke who's spent more time in Brazil doing tv interviews and talking to lawyers than playing this season or the Uruguayan Dan James. Those are our options. Manchester United 2023.

Then there's the entire starting midfield from last season that is currently injured so we have to use a loan from a mid-table Italian club because heaven forbid we have any actual squad depth and Scotland's starting centre back in there. Or we just throw an 18 year old kid in there to try and dicatate an entire midfield on his own. Then there's our captain who had one of his '£#%&! the ball anywhere' afternoons and set up bournemouth lovely for their goal in the first 5 mins. He crowned his afternoon by getting himself a weekend off next week.

Then there's the defence which consisted of a left back that wasn't good enough for spurs, our best left back being played as a centre back because our best centre back is shock horror - injured and of course our Portuguese moron right back who just might be the thickest footballer i've ever seen.

Great post.

Must spread more rep etc

Unread 09-12-2023, 10:17 PM
Stickman

Quote:

Manchester United doesn't need a "manager who will make a silk purse out of a sows ear" they need a complete £#%&!ing scorched earth rebuild.

In the medium term I’d argue that we do. Not necessarily a silk purse but an improvement we have now.

I think there’s plenty in our current managers control that he could be doing a lot better.

Varane for instance has barely seen a minute the last 4 matches including Europe and seems to be behind Jonny Evans for a place, that to me is a nonsense.

Martial starting today? I can’t even fathom how that happened.

Unread 09-12-2023, 10:17 PM
Bunker Buster

Here comes "team Emery"

Unread 09-12-2023, 10:18 PM
Stickman

Speaking for myself only, i’m not for a minute suggesting he should be managing United.

Unread 09-12-2023, 10:39 PM
avocado

Quote:

Please stop posting sensible things or the thread will come to an end and there will be no entainment for the evening.

Unread 09-12-2023, 10:46 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Been out all day, just seen the score - genuinely WTF?

Usually a long way from his actual first choices, though. And that's on our owners.
Complete speculation. Please don’t say he wanted Kane as probably every manager in the world did and only one got him.

Who were the first choices? You saying he couldn’t get people so said ok whatever you can get and he was served up Onana mount and a raw teenager?