United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 01-03-2010, 03:08 PM
MUFC One Love

Default Re: match thread: carling cup final, manchester united vs aston villa

I thought Carrick was completely shite first half, and a bit better 2nd half. Still not good enough from him though imo.

Unread 01-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Sparky***

i'm a great believer in being "due" a result. I said as much before the game at the emirates and I thought the same yesterday.

Villa used up their quota of luck against us in the league and there was no way they would be able to bore another result off us yesterday.

Unread 01-03-2010, 03:58 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
i'm a great believer in being "due" a result. I said as much before the game at the emirates and I thought the same yesterday.

Villa used up their quota of luck against us in the league and there was no way they would be able to bore another result off us yesterday.
It's always, or often, the way. very difficult to get a result out of a team three times in a season.

Unread 01-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Dennis Lawless.
Marlo Stanfield.
Toiltet Snifferooney
Fuzzyboy Dunlop
And Erm...
All other haters out there.
Berbatov was class yesterday playing as the second striker. Could have been MOM IMHO... You boys took one hell of a beating
Yes we've certainly been proven wrong. He had a reasonably good game yesterday so that counts for more than his previous 1.5 seasons where he's underperformed. If you're going to name and shame like this, you'd better be expecting to get it back when Berbatov returns to his shite form.

Unread 01-03-2010, 04:10 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Yes we've certainly been proven wrong. He had a reasonably good game yesterday so that counts for more than his previous 1.5 seasons where he's underperformed. If you're going to name and shame like this, you'd better be expecting to get it back when Berbatov returns to his shite form.
C'mon Sniffer. He's played his part in a succesful team all that time as well this helping to win this final. Does there have to be this slating of the players even in the moment of victory?

Unread 01-03-2010, 04:16 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Hand on heart I think Berbatov has been one of our best, and most consistent, players this season. And unlike 50% (or so) of the forum think he was also a very important player for us last year, too. In terms of the name and shaming, I'll be waiting bud, as no doubt that time will come, but on present form I would certainly be picking him week in, week out (tactics permiting of course).

Unread 01-03-2010, 04:17 PM
believe

Quote:
Hand on heart I think Berbatov has been one of our best, and most consistent, players this season. And unlike 50% (or so) of the forum think he was also a very important player for us last year, too. In terms of the name and shaming, I'll be waiting bud, as no doubt that time will come, but on present form I would certainly be picking him week in, week out (tactics permiting of course).
i doubt we'd be where we are without his 9 goals and 3 assists.

Unread 01-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Sullingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I love that stat.

Unread 01-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Ginners

Quote:
be honest, are you his agent?

Unread 01-03-2010, 04:26 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
your not wrong there - in the last couple of games his balls through to Valencia (which lead on to Rooney's headed goals) were both sublime, yet neither will count as an assist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
be honest, are you his agent?
That's a tad nonsensical Lord Ginners or Lardeville. If I was his agent, surely I would want him to move on and get a nice fat pay cheque my way. No, I am not his agent, but I do keep an eye out for my man due to the fact I live where I do..

Unread 01-03-2010, 05:04 PM
red in cumbria

Good posts here sticking up for Berbs - he has been nowhere near as bad as his detractors assert

And he has been carrying a niggling injury since the turn of the year........

Unread 02-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Stickman

One thing I found interesting re the coverage etc was that when Berbatov closed down and tackled Dunne which directly led to our equaliser, you didnt hear a squeek out of Gray on Berbatov. Only critisism of the defenders failure to 'deal with it'.

Fair's fair.

File under Given is the worlds greatest goalkeeper and Didier Drogba is positively 100% ipso facto unplayable.

Unread 02-03-2010, 07:47 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
One thing I found interesting re the coverage etc was that when Berbatov closed down and tackled Dunne which directly led to our equaliser, you didnt hear a squeek out of Gray on Berbatov. Only critisism of the defenders failure to 'deal with it'.

Fair's fair.

File under Given is the worlds greatest goalkeeper and Didier Drogba is positively 100% ipso facto unplayable.
it's certainly a part of his game that he needs to show more often.

Unread 02-03-2010, 12:17 PM
borsuk

berbatov was fantastic on sunday but that's no reason to pretend he hasn't been quite unimpressive for a lot of his time with us, just as nani's recent improvement doesn't erase his consistently pretty poor performances prior to that.

i hope they both maintain that improved level because that's what's expected of manchester united players. but there's no reason to rewrite history and pretend they've been anything other that pretty disappointing overall thus far.

Unread 02-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Zorg

I thought Park was absolutely superb too, and he nearly scored.

Unread 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
berbatov was fantastic on sunday but that's no reason to pretend he hasn't been quite unimpressive for a lot of his time with us, just as nani's recent improvement doesn't erase his consistently pretty poor performances prior to that.

i hope they both maintain that improved level because that's what's expected of manchester united players. but there's no reason to rewrite history and pretend they've been anything other that pretty disappointing overall thus far.
I am certain that Berbatov has played the role he was bought in for by Fergie more often than not. Champions in his first season with us, and 2nd best in Europe (he didn't have much time to assert himself in the final either) - a season when he was our leading provider of assits to boot. It's not rewritting history, Borsuk, more a case of aligning people's perceptions of his role in the team/squad. He has been frustating to watch on a number of occassions, but those occasions have blinkered peoples opinions to such an extent that they can't appreciate how much he has actually contributed.

He was never an outright goalscorer. His touch and vision, in terms of creating chances for others, though, are second to none in the Premier League (and up there with the best in world football at present).

Unread 02-03-2010, 12:34 PM
borsuk

Quote:
I am certain that Berbatov has played the role he was bought in for by Fergie more often than not. Champions in his first season with us, and 2nd best in Europe (he didn't have much time to assert himself in the final either) - a season when he was our leading provider of assits to boot. It's not rewritting history, Borsuk, more a case of aligning people's perceptions of his role in the team/squad. He has been frustating to watch on a number of occassions, but those occasions have blinkered peoples opinions to such an extent that they can't appreciate how much he has actually contributed.

He was never an outright goalscorer. His touch and vision, in terms of creating chances for others, though, are second to none in the Premier League (and up there with the best in world football at present).
nah, barry, he's not performed at the level he should too often. some of the criticism is way ott, of course, and you know i've been pretty positive towards berbatov, but he has disappointed for the most part - as he himself admits.

Unread 02-03-2010, 12:37 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
nah, barry, he's not performed at the level he should too often. some of the criticism is way ott, of course, and you know i've been pretty positive towards berbatov, but he has disappointed for the most part - as he himself admits.
we'll agree to disagree then (but I didn't say consistently FWIW, just more often than not 65:35).

Unread 02-03-2010, 11:15 PM
jem

nani has improved (or is at least more consistent).

berbatov has not improved. maybe it's just that your eyesight has improved.

Unread 02-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Part 36 Offer

people still slagging berbs

change the £#%&!ing record

Owen has done well for us this season btw. Was just thinking he is fast becoming a top red. Seems genuinely elated to wear the shirt. Another one who has been slagged to £#%&! on here.

And you call yourselves United fans

Oh Carrick is shite too