United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 26-10-2023, 08:53 AM
Dr Stranger

Surely %@#$&!s. We’ve got a new keeper and Heaton for cover. We’re not resigning him just for cover a handful of games ffs.

Unread 26-10-2023, 08:59 AM
jem

depends on just how surprised we were by afcon.

Unread 26-10-2023, 08:59 AM
dunk

There was talk last week that they were going to offer him a deal to be the senior pro/coach with the U23’s, making him available for the bench if Onana is at the AFCON would make sense I suppose

Absolute £#%&!ing state of the bloke though. 32 and utterly washed up.

Unread 26-10-2023, 09:12 AM
Patty_b

Honestly, I hope it's true. Wouldn't be a surprise either. It's win - win.

We'd be getting a very good and experienced second keeper for cover during AFCON who already knows the team, the players infront of him and the league at no cost other than his contract.

He gets paid, gets match fit and sharp again, and puts himself in the shop window for a better long term contract elsewhere, which hasn't been forthcoming yet. And he'll get a load of good press, because if he put in a few decent performances then there'll be shed-load coverage about how we should have kept hold of him and treated him shit etc etc.

The club get a lot of things wrong, but this would be decent tbf.

Unread 26-10-2023, 10:07 AM
Dacter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Honestly, I hope it's true. Wouldn't be a surprise either. It's win - win.

We'd be getting a very good and experienced second keeper for cover during AFCON who already knows the team, the players infront of him and the league at no cost other than his contract.

He gets paid, gets match fit and sharp again, and puts himself in the shop window for a better long term contract elsewhere, which hasn't been forthcoming yet. And he'll get a load of good press, because if he put in a few decent performances then there'll be shed-load coverage about how we should have kept hold of him and treated him shit etc etc.

The club get a lot of things wrong, but this would be decent tbf.
Not sure if the above is tongue in cheek, but I can't agree.

Onana has just started to dig himself out of his horror form. The last thing he needs is bringing back his predecessor whose departure caused so many column inches to be written and meant he was scrutinised even more closely than is even normal for a United signing.

Unread 26-10-2023, 10:08 AM
Bunker Buster

It's absolutely %@#$&!s, but would be a disaster if it was true....

Unread 26-10-2023, 10:09 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacter

Onana has just started to dig himself out of his horror form. The last thing he needs is bringing back his predecessor whose departure caused so many column inches to be written and meant he was scrutinised even more closely than is even normal for a United signing.
This.

It would be a ridiculous move for United.

But as it’s the fat man reporting it I’m going to guess it’s bull shit anyway.

Unread 26-10-2023, 10:27 AM
dunk

Imagine the kick in the %@#$&!s for the Turkish lad, potentially usurped before making his debut. Can’t be true.

Unread 26-10-2023, 10:36 AM
Patty_b

Quote:

Onana won't be at the club

If it's a short term deal then it's a win. He's not as shit as people want to pretend he is. De Gea's not good enough to be our long term No.1, but to come in short term to make us better than we would be otherwise doesn't seem like a bad thing.

And if Onana is upset by that fact and feels pressured while he's not even at the club then I can't see how he'd survive being our No.1 long term either.

Unread 26-10-2023, 11:03 AM
Dacter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Onana won't be at the club
No, but if De Gea played well during that period the noise around Onana would be cranked up to a 10.

I agree that if you want to be No.1 at United then you have to be able to handle pressure, what you don't need is the club doing anything to unnecessarily exacerbate that.

Unread 26-10-2023, 11:16 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
No, but if De Gea played well during that period the noise around Onana would be cranked up to a 10.

I agree that if you want to be No.1 at United then you have to be able to handle pressure, what you don't need is the club doing anything to unnecessarily exacerbate that.
If it is any more than a rumor and it's a possibility, then I wouldn't expect any football team to pass up on an opportunity to bring in a keeper of De Gea's ability short term, voluntarily weakening themselves for a month to potentially save the feelings of their No.1 goalkeeper while he is away (if their place in the team is assured upon their return).

Bringing in De Gea short term to cover for our No.1 while he is unavailable would be a great bit of business. Signing De Gea back long term if Onana is actually a bit shit would be stupid. But the conversation is only about the former.

Unread 26-10-2023, 11:18 AM
dunk

Literally every other club in the world has turned down the chance to bring in de Gea for free on a short term deal, including Madrid and Munich who lost their first choice keepers…

Unread 26-10-2023, 11:21 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Literally every other club in the world has turned down the chance to bring in de Gea for free on a short term deal, including Madrid and Munich who lost their first choice keepers…
Literally every club? Wow.

A year and month is a big difference, especially when the player already knows the team and the league.

Unread 26-10-2023, 11:36 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

Cant possibly be true. If he comes back there should be multiple sackings at the club. Starting with Erik.

Unread 26-10-2023, 12:02 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Cant possibly be true. If he comes back there should be multiple sackings at the club. Starting with Erik.
the funny thing is when and if JR takes over the footballing side of things , it will be similar to Chelsea under abramovich in which is a manager doesn’t show consistent progress they are out the door.
this whole let the manager take 5 years because Fergie was here for 20+ years will never happen.

Unread 26-10-2023, 12:07 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
the funny thing is when and if JR takes over the footballing side of things , it will be similar to Chelsea under abramovich in which is a manager doesn’t show consistent progress they are out the door.
this whole let the manager take 5 years because Fergie was here for 20+ years will never happen.
Chelsea - now there’s a club structure to admire. Currently below us in the league.

Unread 26-10-2023, 12:44 PM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I think you answered your own question.
I didn't say they were any good. The article says we are 'short' of keepers.

Unread 26-10-2023, 01:22 PM
ThomasJNewtown

Quote:

Onana is still not a great 'keeper, saving a poor penalty doesn't suddenly make him one.
Early on Tuesday night he decided to try and save a shot that was going about 4 foot wide and gave away a corner.
Think it was against Sheffield United that he made two saves down low but palmed them straight back in front of him, instead of away from danger. If they had a decent striker they would have been tap-ins.

That said, not sure DeGea is the answer right now.

Unread 27-10-2023, 08:28 PM
Vincent Chase

I just went for a mooch on Bluemoon to enjoy some seethe at Pellestri’s comments, then I see this little stat…

That’s £#%&!ing appalling.

Unread 27-10-2023, 08:32 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Chase
I just went for a mooch on Bluemoon to enjoy some seethe at Pellestri’s comments, then I see this little stat…

https://twitter.com/hfworld_/status/...5Es1_&ref_url=

That’s £#%&!ing appalling.
Why in the name of christ would anyone on here want to see that?