United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-11-2022, 12:36 PM
AK14

Isn’t there talk of De Gea willing to take a pay cut to stay?

Surely Rashy can do the same.

Unread 07-11-2022, 12:38 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Isn’t there talk of De Gea willing to take a pay cut to stay?

Surely Rashy can do the same.
Any offer above £150k a week for either would be madness. Need to get this house in order.

I'd wait to the end of the season before deciding whether to make any offer as well.

Unread 07-11-2022, 12:45 PM
Dr Stranger

Wasn’t there talk that ETH had asked for contract extensions to be put on hold until he can take a look at everyone?

He’s an inconsistent player whose mastery of the basics is too poor to ever make him a top level forward.

I keep hearing how he has all the tools. No, he has some of the tools. He does a lot things badly, most of the time.

He needs to play on the left to get the best out of him and mitigate his flaws. Complete waste of time on the right. He can still be effective and have a role, but he’s another who has proven we can’t pin our hopes on him. If we’re still waiting for a 25 year rashford to come good after seven seasons, that’s on us.

Unread 07-11-2022, 12:46 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Wasn’t there talk that ETH had asked for contract extensions to be put on hold until he can take a look at everyone?
Let's £#%&!ing hope so. And that he has final say.

Only Dalot and Garnacho should be shoe-ins for a new contract imo. Fred, De Gea, Rashford and Shaw should be put on reduced terms, if anything gets offered at all. They simply haven't offered value for money over the terms of their current deals.

Unread 07-11-2022, 12:47 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch

Only Dalot and Garnacho should be shoe-ins for a new contract imo. Fred, De Gea, Rashford and Shaw should be put on reduced terms, if anything gets offered at all. They simply haven't offered value for money over the terms of their current deals.
I agree and that’s how it should be, but it isn’t. It just doesn’t work that way. If they get new deals, they’ll get bumper new deals.

Unread 07-11-2022, 12:49 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
I agree and that’s how it should be, but it isn’t. It just doesn’t work that way. If they get new deals, they’ll get bumper new deals.
It wasn't. There's a new sheriff in town now.

Unread 07-11-2022, 12:50 PM
NedKelly

Remember that one time someone said he was the next Andy Cole? What an idiot.

Unread 07-11-2022, 12:53 PM
Whip Hubley

Getting bodied off the ball by tyrone mings is not a good look

tbf you could make a compilation of pretty much any player yesterday and they'd all be shit. problem is, that's not an atypical performance from him.

Unread 07-11-2022, 12:56 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch

Yup I’d go with that.

Unread 07-11-2022, 01:29 PM
Dasilvatwins

He needs to be offered 150k a week max. If he refuses then send him to Ipswich. He is nowhere near the consistency or even quality of a 300k a week player.

If they offer him a rise or the same sort of wage then you can see the club is still putting football second .

If he wants 250/300k a week then you are judged by that. We expect a player who puts in performances of someone who can warrant that wage. The last one and a bit years he hasn’t been doing that.

He has scored more goals this season but his overall play is shite. He has till the end of the season like a few others to turn it around or be binned

Unread 07-11-2022, 02:04 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
When he has a stinker he really has a stinker

If we give him a raise in any contract renewal then we’re an even bigger joke than I thought

Unread 07-11-2022, 02:09 PM
Bunker Buster

Cutting players wages

That's not how this works.....

Unread 07-11-2022, 02:17 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Cutting players wages

Would you offer him a new improved contract?

Unread 07-11-2022, 02:30 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Cutting players wages

Exactly. Maybe if a player is at the tail end of their career, but players in their peak years do not accept lowered or even equal terms as their previous contract. Best we can hope is shorter contracts and reasonable increases.

Unread 07-11-2022, 03:15 PM
RedNick80

Quote:
Exactly. Maybe if a player is at the tail end of their career, but players in their peak years do not accept lowered or even equal terms as their previous contract. Best we can hope is shorter contracts and reasonable increases.
Increase??

I get he might go elsewhere if not, but if I'd been as piss poor at my job for the last two years I'd be lucky to get the same again or be in a job, never mind an increase.

Someone else wants to pay him more? Fine, off you pop Marcus.

We reward failure, no business should do that!

Unread 07-11-2022, 03:28 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
Increase??

I get he might go elsewhere if not, but if I'd been as piss poor at my job for the last two years I'd be lucky to get the same again or be in a job, never mind an increase.

This.

Offer him reduced wages to match his output on the pitch over the last couple of years, if he rejects then by all means find another club that will match or increase your current wages.

Obviously it won’t just come down to his actual job of being a footballer and his off field image will come into play etc.

Unread 07-11-2022, 03:37 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
Increase??

It just doesn’t work that way. That’s the point. Players at their peak are not negotiating new deals for the same or less money, whether they deserve it or not.

No point comparing it to a normal job because it isn’t the same.

Unread 07-11-2022, 03:42 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
It just doesn’t work that way. That’s the point. Players at their peak are not negotiating new deals for the same or less money, whether they deserve it or not.

No point comparing it to a normal job because it isn’t the same.
It doesn’t work like that because player power has taken precedence over the manager’s authority in recent years. Not just with us, but across a lot of the big clubs. It can be changed though. Pogba is a good example of a player who thought he was worth more and ended up on less than what we offered him.

Just take a firm stand, outline why they’re not getting an increase and let them take their chances elsewhere if theyre not happy with what we offer. Before long, we’ll have some of the chancers in the squad coming back with their tails between their legs when they realise no other club will pay them what we pay them.

It’s risky, but I’m past caring at this point. I can’t say I sit there nervous at the prospect of losing Marcus Rashford. Quite the opposite, actually.

Unread 07-11-2022, 03:47 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
It doesn’t work like that because player power has taken precedence over the manager’s authority in recent years. Not just with us, but across a lot of the big clubs. It can be changed though. Pogba is a good example of a player who thought he was worth more and ended up on less than what we offered him.

Just take a firm stand, outline why they’re not getting an increase and let them take their chances elsewhere if theyre not happy with what we offer. Before long, we’ll have some of the chancers in the squad coming back with their tails between their legs when they realise no other club will pay them what we pay them.

It’s risky, but I’m past caring at this point. I can’t say I sit there nervous at the prospect of losing Marcus Rashford. Quite the opposite, actually.
Postage.

Unread 07-11-2022, 04:01 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly

Exactly. If he refuses a new contract on lower terms, put him up for sale next summer and try and get rid of the useless @#%&! then.
Closed Thread