United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-06-2021, 07:40 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
yeah you wonder will england have shot their bolt in that last game.
Surely against whoever we face next he actually attacks & gets some momentum after this. No need for a flat back 8 ffs. The absolute joy hoover.

England look a serious outfit with 5 attacking players on the pitch, play with 3 & it’s like chopping a leg off. Mental.

Unread 29-06-2021, 07:43 PM
Drexl

We need a peak Gascoigne.

I don't think Grealish is it. But he might be the best option

Unread 29-06-2021, 07:45 PM
AK14

Maguire eh…

One of the best centre backs in Europe that lad.

Unread 29-06-2021, 07:47 PM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Maguire eh…

One of the best centre backs in Europe that lad.
Don't, you will give him a big head

Unread 29-06-2021, 07:52 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Sweden have traditionally been a bogey team for us, though we beat them easily enough in the last WC.

Seriously though, the worst England could do now is assume they already have the next match (even the trophy) in the bag. I'm sure Southgate will keep them focused on a game at a time
Ukraine have played some nice football and could cause a problem but even if for the first time there is no home advantage England should get by.

Sweden have an old group of players. I think the average age was the oldest out of all squads whereas England were second youngest. Given how easy the QF was in 2018 and in midfield they play Sebastian Larrson still it is a dream draw for England.

Unread 29-06-2021, 07:56 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Surely against whoever we face next he actually attacks & gets some momentum after this. No need for a flat back 8 ffs. The absolute joy hoover.

England look a serious outfit with 5 attacking players on the pitch, play with 3 & it’s like chopping a leg off. Mental.
Your best chance of winning the whole thing is to keep it tight and hit when the opposition are tiring tbh. It's percentages stuff sure but England have always been accused of not playing the percentages, here you are and it's all opening up nicely for you.

Obviously still hoping you slip on a banana skin but you're doing all right here. Even if it is boring. Better boring than shite, I'm Australian, our £#%&!ing team is both.

Unread 29-06-2021, 08:01 PM
Sparky***

Unread 29-06-2021, 08:02 PM
sweetleftfoot

Harry Maguire. Thats all.

Unread 29-06-2021, 08:08 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Your best chance of winning the whole thing is to keep it tight and hit when the opposition are tiring tbh. It's percentages stuff sure but England have always been accused of not playing the percentages, here you are and it's all opening up nicely for you.

Obviously still hoping you slip on a banana skin but you're doing all right here. Even if it is boring. Better boring than shite, I'm Australian, our £#%&!ing team is both.
True enough. Pragmatism is there to be used as a template after the last few tournament winners. Portugal even had Ronaldo & were still absolutely vile.

I guess it’s a philosophical thing, is the game about glory? Will I give a shit if Utd ever win anything again by way of shit@#%&!ing it? (The answer is I’ll begrudgingly take it, because if I hadn’t seen such riches….)

England, no such riches exist. Doesn’t mean we don’t aspire for more when you have this level of talent in the squad & not utilised. Doubly so when you have to endure Sterling being so horrendous & being told to be respected. Absolutely £#%&! off.

Unread 29-06-2021, 08:19 PM
jem

there is no glory playing like that. winning is nice, but it's not enough. I don't want england to jose in the europa league it to the trophy. it's a beautiful game. embrace it.

england can win the thing if sterling is seriously injured in training tomorrow .

Unread 29-06-2021, 08:20 PM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
True enough. Pragmatism is there to be used as a template after the last few tournament winners. Portugal even had Ronaldo & were still absolutely vile.

I guess it’s a philosophical thing, is the game about glory? Will I give a shit if Utd ever win anything again by way of shit@#%&!ing it? (The answer is I’ll begrudgingly take it, because if I hadn’t seen such riches….)

England, no such riches exist. Doesn’t mean we don’t aspire for more when you have this level of talent in the squad & not utilised. Doubly so when you have to endure Sterling being so horrendous & being told to be respected. Absolutely £#%&! off.
Totally different with international football compared to club football. Having to sit through August-May with months of dire performances to hopefully grind your way to a trophy at club level is not the same as a five week long seven game route to a trophy at international level. Mourinho is finished at the highest level at club football because no one wants to endure with what he brings for long. Not the fans but also not the players. But his style can probably do well enough with a national team competition and make him a national hero somewhere.

Unread 29-06-2021, 08:27 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
there is no glory playing like that. winning is nice, but it's not enough. I don't want england to jose in the europa league it to the trophy. it's a beautiful game. embrace it.

england can win the thing if sterling is seriously injured in training tomorrow .
It has to be this. Makes us sound spoilt. Couldn’t care less, it’s why I prefer to see skilful players over grafters. It’s not about just doing enough.

Unread 29-06-2021, 08:38 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
The steward giving it the calm down gesture

Unread 29-06-2021, 09:08 PM
Neo

Thumbs down

Feel like pure shit just want them out.

Unread 29-06-2021, 09:18 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Totally different with international football compared to club football. Having to sit through August-May with months of dire performances to hopefully grind your way to a trophy at club level is not the same as a five week long seven game route to a trophy at international level. Mourinho is finished at the highest level at club football because no one wants to endure with what he brings for long. Not the fans but also not the players. But his style can probably do well enough with a national team competition and make him a national hero somewhere.

Mourinho is made for tournament football.

Unread 29-06-2021, 09:35 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
he does love hotels tbf

Unread 29-06-2021, 09:52 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
If not actual tournaments, you know, jousting

Unread 29-06-2021, 10:12 PM
Sparky***

Unread 29-06-2021, 10:36 PM
tatty

Quote:

Hahaha...what we aren't in white?

Unread 29-06-2021, 11:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth