United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-02-2023, 01:55 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
You appear to be concerned that he may incriminate himself if he talks without legal people putting the words in his mouth, you crank
Unlike yourself, I am not invested in this one way or the other. Makes no odds to me whether he plays again or not.

Just pointing out the idea that he comes out and makes some sort of statement of guilt / wrongdoing is an absolutely moronic idea.

Unread 11-02-2023, 02:21 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Unlike yourself, I am not invested in this one way or the other. Makes no odds to me whether he plays again or not.

Just pointing out the idea that he comes out and makes some sort of statement of guilt / wrongdoing is an absolutely moronic idea.
I don’t disagree, I’ve said previously he can’t say anything as he will incriminate himself. To that end, what ethers says is true; he can’t be offered redemption or a second chance without an acknowledgement he’s done wrong and an offer of apology etc. he can’t do either of those things without incriminating himself or at least admitting wrongdoing. Puts him in limbo. United can’t offer rehabilitation without something to rehabilitate, they can’t just accept him back with the information out there.

Imo, obvs.

Unread 11-02-2023, 02:29 PM
atticusgrinch

Looks like Erik is putting the feelers out.

He's not bothering with hand-wringing or virtue-signalling. Just cold hard bald headed logic:

Does he improve my team?

Can i get away with playing him because Martial is an absolute fanny and Wouty runs like an old person?

Unread 11-02-2023, 02:58 PM
tatty

He’s not trying out for the Archangel Gabriel XI, ffs.

He hasn’t been found guilty so what’s to be gained from a false self-righteousness that every other club/fan will be loving.

Same with the people backing Jim Ratcliffe over the Qatari’s…it’s absolutely bonkers.

Unread 11-02-2023, 03:19 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
there are plenty of good reasons why greenwood should never play for united again. taking the women's game seriously isn't one of them.
Has that US player with the pink hair chimed in yet?

And plenty perhaps why he should given we don't have the full picture, or know what this new evidence is. Am hoping United take a balanced view, but the court of public opinion etc means it's unlikely.

Unread 11-02-2023, 03:37 PM
shenwen

If the Qataris become our new overlords, you would imagine there's no chance they'd risk the PR disaster that would come with keeping Greenwood

Unread 11-02-2023, 03:47 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
If the Qataris become our new overlords, you would imagine there's no chance they'd risk the PR disaster that would come with keeping Greenwood
He's probably treating women better than the Qataris do.

Unread 11-02-2023, 03:51 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Why? If it's not Greenwood they will be dragged over the coals about rainbow flags/One Love initiatives/human rights/sports washing etc.

Looking at it logically 'PR' should be at the bottom of the list. Getting rid of Greenwood, or on the other end of the scale out putting out a nicely-worded statement isn't going to do £#%&! all for the Qataris.

Unread 11-02-2023, 04:17 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Makes no odds to me whether he plays again or not
Why?

Unread 11-02-2023, 04:57 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
He's probably treating women better than the Qataris do.
I expect all our noble fans to cease supporting united immediately if we are taking over by a Saudi or Qatari consortium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I don’t disagree, I’ve said previously he can’t say anything as he will incriminate himself. To that end, what ethers says is true; he can’t be offered redemption or a second chance without an acknowledgement he’s done wrong and an offer of apology etc. he can’t do either of those things without incriminating himself or at least admitting wrongdoing. Puts him in limbo. United can’t offer rehabilitation without something to rehabilitate, they can’t just accept him back with the information out there.

Imo, obvs.
he can say he made some mistakes and that's it true his turbulent relationship has had ups and downs but the important thing is him being educated on the right things and realising has to do better.

that's more that good enough.

at the end of the day I stand by him because I live in the real world. a world where people make mistakes and where allowances can be made in special circumstances and a world where money talks at the end of the day.

I know some of you live in this new age where you let your children decide what sex they are, where transexuals can use whatever toilet they want and are ok animals being treated better than black people so its obvious we will have different opinions on this.

Unread 11-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
I expect all our noble fans to cease supporting united immediately if we are taking over by a Saudi or Qatari consortium.
Such a cse grade 4 argument. You can be against something and still accept it that it will happen unless you’re new to you know…..life.

Most people love watching united more than they dislike the ownership structure. That doesn’t mean you can’t want the best for something you hold dear even if you know you ultimately can’t do anything about it.

A lot of people see greenwood playing as further evidence that the club has lowered its standards - that doesn’t mean they’ll stop watching united. Same with a Middle East take over. There has to be a better way for the premier league than a few so called lucky clubs being owned by Middle East states and dominating football because their owners are rich rather than through earnt success.

I think all you’re saying is that you don’t have any standards. Fair enough. Some of us do.

Unread 11-02-2023, 05:01 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
I know some of you live in this new age where you let your children decide what sex they are, where transexuals can use whatever toilet they want and are ok animals being treated better than black people so its obvious we will have different opinions on this.

Unread 11-02-2023, 05:23 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Such a cse grade 4 argument. You can be against something and still accept it that it will happen unless you’re new to you know…..life.

Most people love watching united more than they dislike the ownership structure. That doesn’t mean you can’t want the best for something you hold dear even if you know you ultimately can’t do anything about it.

A lot of people see greenwood playing as further evidence that the club has lowered its standards - that doesn’t mean they’ll stop watching united. Same with a Middle East take over. There has to be a better way for the premier league than a few so called lucky clubs being owned by Middle East states and dominating football because their owners are rich rather than through earnt success.

I think all you’re saying is that you don’t have any standards. Fair enough. Some of us do.
I can’t believe you let your kids pick their gender.

Unread 11-02-2023, 05:24 PM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
I are ok animals being treated better than black people so its obvious we will have different opinions on this.
I was on your side until then

Unread 11-02-2023, 05:38 PM
Fat Al

I have no problem with him working to redeem himself & doing his utmost to put this all behind him. The same with him continuing his career as a professional footballer.

Just not at Manchester United.

Unread 11-02-2023, 07:35 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
I have no problem with him working to redeem himself & doing his utmost to put this all behind him. The same with him continuing his career as a professional footballer.

Just not at Manchester United.
So if everyone else shuns him, tough shit, career over despite no trial/conviction?

Unread 11-02-2023, 07:49 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
So if everyone else shuns him, tough shit, career over despite no trial/conviction?
I think that is a very unlikely extreme.

I'm sure there would be a number of clubs willing to employ him.

Unread 11-02-2023, 09:39 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
I think that is a very unlikely extreme.

I'm sure there would be a number of clubs willing to employ him.
OK, Devil's Advocate time - why would they but we shouldn't? As in, what's the difference?

Unread 11-02-2023, 10:08 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
OK, Devil's Advocate time - why would they but we shouldn't? As in, what's the difference?
Playing for Manchester United he will be under intense media scrutiny all the time.
Playing for another PL team, the intensity will be less but still substantial.
Regardless of who he plays for, he's gonna get dogs abuse at every ground he visits.

There are countries out there who's record on women's rights/equality mean their clubs wouldn't give a shit what Greenwood has done/not done. And it keeps him far away from the UK so he can concentrate on just playing football.

And that's me being diplomatic & not mentioning my own opinion of the matter.

Plus I was bored & was trawling for marlo or Tory @#%&! to reply.

Unread 11-02-2023, 10:09 PM
Selhurst Samurai

Quote:
Closed Thread