United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-10-2022, 07:27 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
If you think mourinho wanted fred you're off your rocker. He's about as far from a mourinho player as you can get.

That's got genius woodward written all over it
I'm convinced we bought him cause city were reported to be in for him.

Unread 16-10-2022, 07:33 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
If you think mourinho wanted fred you're off your rocker. He's about as far from a mourinho player as you can get.

There were reports that city were going in for him around the same time. Reckon he got his scout reports from football365 or some other shite

There are 4 realistic CM options . Casemiro , Eriksen, The Scottish Player, Fred. The latter two shouldn’t even be in the team. They will get games because you have to rotate. Fred was the only remaining “realistic” option at CM

You can argue to throw on a youngster, but I don’t think you do that with a CM. You can get away with it as a winger or striker.

Ontop of that CF we do also need a CM. Doesn’t have to be a world class one, a competent cover would suffice. Maybe should have kept mejbri and garner to player ahead of Fred but ETH will see things in training we don’t.

Unread 16-10-2022, 07:36 PM
Coracao

Think Mejbri got man of the match today

Unread 16-10-2022, 07:38 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikvanHaaksbergen
If Fred and/or Casemiro look bad now they will be total write offs once WC is finished. Basically book slammed shut on sum of aspirations for their career — full on samba party boys mode thereafter.
Just a shame we didn't sign Kante or Jorginho in the Summer. Now they would have been great signings.

Unread 16-10-2022, 07:41 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I'm convinced we bought him cause city were reported to be in for him.
Same with RVP and Sanchez imo. Maguire too?

Christ we’ve been a shit football club in recent years

Unread 16-10-2022, 07:44 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Van persie was a great signing, top scored the first season and we won the league?

It was the first time fergie spent some real money since the glazers taking over because he knew he had one season left.

Unread 16-10-2022, 07:46 PM
Boring Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Jenkins
Just a shame we didn't sign Kante or Jorginho in the Summer. Now they would have been great signings.
We’d just got rid of two Chelsea pensioners after a few long years.

Absolutely no way should we be going back there.

Unread 16-10-2022, 07:53 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

That's what happens when the boardroom don't employ anybody below them who knows how to build a successful team.

We're run to make money, clubs like City are run simply to win football matches. Sporting excellence at any cost.

Unread 16-10-2022, 07:59 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Van persie was a great signing, top scored the first season and we won the league?

It was the first time fergie spent some real money since the glazers taking over because he knew he had one season left.
He was great for 6 months. I’m still convinced the main reason we went for him was to stop City getting him. Worked out though.

Unread 16-10-2022, 08:05 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Jenkins
Jorginho would have been a better signing than Casemiro at a fraction of the cost as time will tell, correct. Father Time, sadly, will not shine well on Cas. But we are not playing fantasy football here, they would not have sold him without getting De Jong in. As for Kante -- poor Kante

Unread 16-10-2022, 08:12 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
He was great for 6 months. I’m still convinced the main reason we went for him was to stop City getting him. Worked out though.
He did have that purple patch but he finished top scorer for us ( think he got golden boot aswell).

I remember fergie saying something about not losing the title on GD for his final year and he decided to have another one. Personally I feel like it was a , one more year so go out and get the best finisher in the league.

City had tevez and aguero. Doubt they would have gone on for him aswell

Unread 16-10-2022, 08:14 PM
dunk

City were well in for RVP he was odds on to go there until we went for him late on IIRC.

Unread 16-10-2022, 08:15 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
City were well in for RVP he was odds on to go there until we went for him late on IIRC.
Fair enough. Still , it was a successful signing

Unread 16-10-2022, 08:26 PM
dunk

VAR finds new and more astonishing ways to £#%&! us over every week.

Unread 16-10-2022, 08:30 PM
armchair

Two clear penalties for us. Maybe a penalty for them first half, I haven't looked at it.

Unread 16-10-2022, 08:57 PM
Selhurst Samurai

Quote:

Yeah, it was meant to be sarcastic but I didn’t put it across so well.

That was my point really, he was bought for a manager who didn’t want him. Then the subsequent managers have had to try to make use of him.

Unread 16-10-2022, 08:58 PM
armchair

That's what you get when you have an accountant as football director.

Unread 16-10-2022, 09:39 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Two clear penalties for us. Maybe a penalty for them first half, I haven't looked at it.
The performance overall was ok. We dominated them pretty much all the 2nd half. Over 60% of the ball and we had 15 shots but only 2 on target was the big problem.

It was nice to see us keep with the gameplan until the end instead of what so often we've done in recent years which is lose our shape and begin just launching the ball into the box. I don't doubt last season we would have given up loads of chances to Newcastle in the 2nd half.

Frustrating at the time but when you analyse it with a cool head, again we've played a team who are on in good form and we've restricted them to about one chance all game and should have won about 3-0.

It's extremely testing to bed in a new style of play when you're playing every 3 days with a world cup coming up. As starts go we've had the toughest out of every team in the league.

Unread 16-10-2022, 09:42 PM
Joe Biden

It's not gonna get much easier in the next two.

Unread 17-10-2022, 03:58 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
The performance overall was ok. We dominated them pretty much all the 2nd half. Over 60% of the ball and we had 15 shots but only 2 on target was the big problem.

It was nice to see us keep with the gameplan until the end instead of what so often we've done in recent years which is lose our shape and begin just launching the ball into the box. I don't doubt last season we would have given up loads of chances to Newcastle in the 2nd half.

Frustrating at the time but when you analyse it with a cool head, again we've played a team who are on in good form and we've restricted them to about one chance all game and should have won about 3-0.

It's extremely testing to bed in a new style of play when you're playing every 3 days with a world cup coming up. As starts go we've had the toughest out of every team in the league.
Yep. This is how I felt. There’s signs in our play that we’re
Changing. I understand why the frustration of the misses overwhelms though.

As I said yesterday: I’d rather we were creating chances and missing them. If that was last season, we’d have got shitter as the game went on and lost it 1-0. Thursday would have fizzled out to 0-0.
Closed Thread