United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-07-2018, 05:23 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Mate while your logic sounds right in theory - England in the last 10 years have failed to qualify for one tournament, failed to beat USA and Algeria at another, finished bottom of a group Costa Rica topped in 2014, and most recently eliminated by Iceland.

Yeah, fair enough

Unread 07-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Can't make their minds up. England are shite but apparently it'll be a 'humiliation' if they go out on Weds.

Can't have it both ways. Either we're shite and massively over-achieving or getting to world cup semi isn't really all that good for a team of such calibre?

heads gone all over the shop for the joy vacuums.
Nope. Fact is, England should be fully expected to get to this stage considering the piss easy games they’ve had. They’re a squad full of players that have won big trophies, for some of the world’s biggest clubs, and are paid some of the biggest wages in the world. Would be interesting to see the salaries of the England players today, and those of Sweden, yet we’re expected to believe this was some monumental achievement?!

It won’t be a humiliation if they are beat in the semis either; it will be fully expected as it’s the first time they’ll play anyone half-decent. The standard English hype and arrogance should probably be reserved if they get to the Final, but it never is, is it, and that’s my problem.

Also, you didn’t answer my previous question...

Unread 07-07-2018, 05:24 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Can't make their minds up. England are shite but apparently it'll be a 'humiliation' if they go out on Weds.

Can't have it both ways. Either we're shite and massively over-achieving or getting to world cup semi isn't really all that good for a team of such calibre?

heads gone all over the shop for the joy vacuums.
Sweden were a good side two hours ago and England were being arrogant thinking it was a dead cert. Now they were a shit side with no chance. No consistency from the try hard self loathing hate England brigade. Sad to see.

Unread 07-07-2018, 05:33 PM
djsst

Talking

armchair

he's not wrong.

sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsst
He’s a sad old @#%&!

Unread 07-07-2018, 05:40 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
England have done great, yes it has been an easy run but if you get this type of opportunity grasp it.

It really does heap more evidence on my belief that modern football is a bit shit though. England in the final might be the poorest finalist of the modern era, outside of Argentina in 1990?
Could quite conceivably be a worse finalist than England (ie Russia?)

Unread 07-07-2018, 05:50 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
England have done great, yes it has been an easy run but if you get this type of opportunity grasp it.

It really does heap more evidence on my belief that modern football is a bit shit though. England in the final might be the poorest finalist of the modern era, outside of Argentina in 1990?
why does england being in the final make modern football shit?

is this the same logic which leads some people to say modern football is shit because united haven't won the league recently.

it's a great achievement from a young set of players. some people have tiny dick syndrome.

Unread 07-07-2018, 05:53 PM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Nope. Fact is, England should be fully expected to get to this stage considering the piss easy games they’ve had. They’re a squad full of players that have won big trophies, for some of the world’s biggest clubs, and are paid some of the biggest wages in the world. Would be interesting to see the salaries of the England players today, and those of Sweden, yet we’re expected to believe this was some monumental achievement?!

It won’t be a humiliation if they are beat in the semis either; it will be fully expected as it’s the first time they’ll play anyone half-decent. The standard English hype and arrogance should probably be reserved if they get to the Final, but it never is, is it, and that’s my problem.

Also, you didn’t answer my previous question...
Where’s this standard English hype and arrogance coming from? Not really aware of it - Management and players seem relatively down to earth, don’t think anyone anywhere would suggest it’s a particularly great England team, but the tournament has opened up for them, and they’ve took advantage so far.

Unread 07-07-2018, 05:54 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
Where’s this standard English hype and arrogance coming from? Not really aware of it - Management and players seem relatively down to earth, don’t think anyone anywhere would suggest it’s a particularly great England team, but the tournament has opened up for them, and they’ve took advantage so far.
Media, as usual. The main reason why I am still reluctant to back "the lads" whole heartedly.

Unread 07-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Media, as usual. The main reason why I am still reluctant to back "the lads" whole heartedly.
What kind of control do the football team have over the media?

Refusing to support england because of what some #@&%! editor at The Sun chooses to put on their front page is like refusing to support United because of Mark Goldbridge.

Unread 07-07-2018, 05:58 PM
sweetleftfoot

To be honest some holocausts had here by the ABE brigade. Let the people have their victory, admit that the semis is an over achievement and go post elsewhere on here about how shit Fred is without seeing him play. Utter shit the beds.

Unread 07-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by signed dc
But mate, people are CELEBRATING GOALS IN A PUB, IN THE SUNSHINE, BLATANTLY HAVING FUN IN AN ARROGANT WAY. THEY'RE EVEN SINGING SONGS.

I mean, how many more examples of blatant hype and arrogance do you want?

As you know every other country's supporters go round to each other's for tea and greet goals with a subdued and humble applause.

Unread 07-07-2018, 06:01 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
What kind of control do the football team have over the media?

Refusing to support england because of what some #@&%! editor at The Sun chooses to put on their front page is like refusing to support United because of Mark Goldbridge.
Been some past classics from the Currant Bun, nqat. Wasn't it 2010 when they had that E.A.S.Y. headline after our group was drawn? We just scraped out of it

Unread 07-07-2018, 06:03 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Been some past classics from the Currant Bun, nqat. Wasn't it 2010 when they had that E.A.S.Y. headline after our group was drawn? We just scraped out of it
Yep. They're £#%&!ing morons and they have no interest in the team doing well.

Watch "the night gazza cried" documentary about england in the 1990 world cup to see what they bastards did to Sir Bobby Robson before the tournament had even started.

Unread 07-07-2018, 06:05 PM
est.1878

A mate is in benidorm right now and its absolutely kicked off to £#%&!

Absolute untermensch

Unread 07-07-2018, 06:07 PM
armchair

they've nothing to do with the team but imo they've put such incredible pressure on the players that england have been shit for years. they've played like they are terrified of what would be said about them. southgate has done a great job relaxing the players, making them not constantly second guessing themselves etc.

Unread 07-07-2018, 06:08 PM
signed dc

Quote:
Which media? Most of what I’ve read or heard has been pretty balanced. Wouldn’t have thought you pay much attention to the more jingoistic elements.

Unread 07-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Neo

Quote:
But mate, people are CELEBRATING GOALS IN A PUB, IN THE SUNSHINE, BLATANTLY HAVING FUN IN AN ARROGANT WAY. THEY'RE EVEN SINGING SONGS.

I mean, how many more examples of blatant hype and arrogance do you want?

As you know every other country's supporters go round to each other's for tea and greet goals with a subdued and humble applause.
Why won’t you answer my question?

Once again, if you could choose between an England World Cup win this summer, or a United title win next season, what would you pick?

Straightforward answer, please...

Unread 07-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
Can only beat what's in front of you...

better teams didn't produce.

people who try and play this down are harsh or bitter.

England have done well
They haven’t bottled it, I’ll give them that.
Closed Thread