United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 30-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
https://twitter.com/eddietrulyreds/s...53582369476608

Can people stop talking about 4-4-2 now, ta.
eddie from beyond the pitch

do they just let any @#%&! that does a podcast/blog into official press conferences these days? looks like there might be hope for young carrick and his vlogs yet.

Unread 30-07-2015, 03:44 PM
puressence

love the match report after a defeat

Unread 30-07-2015, 03:48 PM
Semantic Lisp

We know he's going to play "more or less" 4-3-3 as a default shape

it doesn't change the fundamental point that a major reason we looked good for a spell last season was the influence of Fellaini, and it doesn't change the fact that we will tend to either lack width or lack a midfield runner, depending on who he starts with. that the width would come from the full backs has it's own problems, like one of the holders must be able to drop into a 3 and like the two nominal centre backs need to be able to play football properly.

Unread 30-07-2015, 03:52 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantic Lisp
We know he's going to play "more or less" 4-3-3 as a default shape

it doesn't change the fundamental point that a major reason we looked good for a spell last season was the influence of Fellaini, and it doesn't change the fact that we will tend to either lack width or lack a midfield runner, depending on who he starts with. that the width would come from the full backs has it's own problems, like one of the holders must be able to drop into a 3 and like the two nominal centre backs need to be able to play football properly.
Correct. Which is why I'm surprised that in lieu of not being able to buy the cb we want, everyone is so quick to dismiss the notion that Blind might make the transition. The passing from the back, even given the nature of pre season games, is like night and day.

Unread 30-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
love the match report after a defeat
oh hey up, sing when ya winning's in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Correct. Which is why I'm surprised that in lieu of not being able to buy the cb we want, everyone is so quick to dismiss the notion that Blind might make the transition. The passing from the back, even given the nature of pre season games, is like night and day.
agree, although specifically on Blind I doubt he's physical enough to play there - if he was then that would offset his lack of pace a bit. would definitely prefer him as a sweeper type, maybe even being the player dropping in between 2 good defenders. as it stands we could drop into a 3 and find ourselves with Carrick and Blind in that back line...

overall i'm just a bit disappointed with the failure to sort out the spine of the side tbh.

Unread 30-07-2015, 04:38 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantic Lisp

agree, although specifically on Blind I doubt he's physical enough to play there - if he was then that would offset his lack of pace a bit. would definitely prefer him as a sweeper type, maybe even being the player dropping in between 2 good defenders. as it stands we could drop into a 3 and find ourselves with Carrick and Blind in that back line...

overall i'm just a bit disappointed with the failure to sort out the spine of the side tbh.
Even the physical side has a fair amount of nous and technique attached to it. Jones is a lump and got muscled off a 40 yard ball like a tart for their first. Tbh it's an experiment, and it's the nature of experiments that the outcome is uncertain, but I'm confident he is a smart enough guy to at least be a focused student of the position, and in a toss up between the known- Smalling, Jones and Evans- and the unknown -Blind- I don't see much risk. Shit vs potential shit/good centre back.

For that ball to Mata alone he deserves a proper look. What a pass.

Unread 30-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
'Someone wake me up when Van Gaals gone, I give up > there's no future'

Unread 30-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Semantic Lisp

yeah you're right, and I've been impressed with his covering in behind his partner. issue is he'll need his partner to read the game equally well to cover in behind him as well though... both the english centre backs we have are bang average (relatively speaking) and at least a bit dumb.

it's interesting that LVG didn't back his right centre back preference, suggesting a signing is imminent, but I'd like to have seen McNair backed on this tour since he at least can deal with having a football at his feet

Unread 30-07-2015, 05:38 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Saw it on Twitter actually, surprised it's come from Redcafe (which is full of £#%&!wits) as it's actually not a bad post. Some interesting points.
Link to the Tweet.

Unread 30-07-2015, 05:55 PM
angrydimaria

spend 250m in 3 years and yet end up with this selection of centre backs : smalling, jones, evans, rojo :shakehead:

Unread 30-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Link to the Tweet.

Unread 30-07-2015, 06:02 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydimaria
spend 250m in 3 years and yet end up with this selection of centre backs : smalling, jones, evans, rojo :shakehead:
Millions of years of evolution and the end result is you. An oxygen thieving virgin sat on his laptop in a nappy churning out post after post of utter shite.

Unread 30-07-2015, 06:04 PM
angrydimaria

Quote:
Millions of years of evolution and the end result is you. An oxygen thieving virgin sat on his laptop in a nappy churning out post after post of utter shite.
This is just the after effect of 1 month of absence tbh.

But you won't have to worry much, I am off on holidays soon for a week

I am quite happy with our transfers so far. can't wait to see Schweinsteiger

But fear we have badly neglected the defence and with de gea leaving soon, it will only get worse

Unread 30-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Vedder

Quote:

Unread 30-07-2015, 07:28 PM
red in cumbria

Knew there would be arse seeing galore on here as soon as I saw the result this morning

Unread 30-07-2015, 08:23 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
Welcome back rafabz.

Unread 30-07-2015, 08:25 PM
angrydimaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Welcome back rafabz.
thanks siders. love x.

Unread 30-07-2015, 08:25 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Knew there would be arse seeing galore on here as soon as I saw the result this morning
nice one meme boy

Unread 30-07-2015, 08:29 PM
dragflick

Quote:
ffs

Brutal, but fantastic.

Unread 30-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Crumps

Talking

Quote:
£#%&!ing excellent sir.