Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Just made it up tbf, but might well be true, we just don't know

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Yeah, you've really done me there with a match report from a game where he came on in the 74th minute tbf

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:03 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
State.
I'm not sure which is concerning: mourinho thinking Adebayor could do a job, or Siders remembering how real Madrid fans were feeling about a particular injury spell several years ago.

Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Yeah, you've really done me there with a match report from a game where he came on in the 74th minute tbf
Stop telling lies, pal

that's all i'm saying.

Sparky out.

£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Continuing to miss the point. Van Gaal doesn't like to have squad fillers. He deliberately leaves sections of the squad short because he likes to fall back on the academy. This has been part of his philosophy for 25 years, so I'm surprised you don't know that.

Rashford got a chance for the same reason Will Keane would have got a chance. Because it's part of the culture of any club LvG manages.

On the other hand I remember Mourinho being short of a striker in the winter at Real Madrid. The fans and the media called on Alvaro Morata, 19, to be promoted from the B team and get a chance. Mourinho refuted such suggestions and signed Adebayor on loan.

Luck, my arse.
any chance you could £#%&! off again you boring @#%&!, cheers

Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I'm not sure which is concerning: mourinho thinking Adebayor could do a job, or Siders remembering how real Madrid fans were feeling about a particular injury spell several years ago.
He's definitely on the spectrum

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:04 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I'm aware of that Siders, but we weren't discussing the wider point. We were talking specifically about Rashford and his introduction. If he'd been ahead on the bench for most of the season, if he'd been poised to come in upon an injury, then fair enough. But he wasn't. He was selected as a substitute only once Will Keane- 22 years old, 2 goals on loan at Preston (2!) - was recalled and subsequently injured.

That error in judgement is an odd one.

Let's put it this way, if keane hadn't got injured, Rashford would not have been on the bench and would not made the impact he did against Arsenal. Who knows what would have happened after that.

I agree with you on the wider point, but we've already discussed the ridiculous extremes on here today. No, he didn't just stumble on him by accident.....but you're sat comfortably at the other end of the extended refusing to admit that there isn't even the slightest bit of luck involved in the timing of how he got into the side?

Not to mention the impact he made. Why didn't lvg play him earlier if he was clearly so talented
This is also an assumption, btw.

But no, it's still not luck. If you're willing to give young players chances, then you tend to find you'll have more of a chance of unearthing something. It's not about identifying the best young player, it's about giving opportunities. As happened with Mcnair, Blackett etc in his first season. The trend begins in pre-season, when lots of young players make the trip, as happened in summer 2014. And they all get a chance. There's no luck about it; it's about having a philosophy that means young players have a clear road to the first team.

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:05 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Stop telling lies, pal

that's all i'm saying.

Sparky out.
What lies? He didn't start regularly for the U21s, absolute fact.

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Yeah, who follows Real Madrid in this day and age.

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:07 PM
saffers

Can't believe we're doing the lvg thing again.

Can't you lads just let bygones be bygones, time to move on etc.

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
any chance you could £#%&! off again you boring @#%&!, cheers
How many times do I have to ignore you before you stop quoting me, you toothless, red-top flicking halfwit?

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

He started it

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:09 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:

'again'...it's all the boring @#%&! ever does ffs

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:09 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Spice up the Rooney to be a coach, Mark Goldbridge and 'who's your favourite celebrity red' threads and it's a done deal, pal.

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:10 PM
Ethers

Quote:
How many times do I have to ignore you before you stop quoting me, you toothless, red-top flicking halfwit?

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:10 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
This is also an assumption, btw.

But no, it's still not luck. If you're willing to give young players chances, then you tend to find you'll have more of a chance of unearthing something. It's not about identifying the best young player, it's about giving opportunities. As happened with Mcnair, Blackett etc in his first season. The trend begins in pre-season, when lots of young players make the trip, as happened in summer 2014. And they all get a chance. There's no luck about it; it's about having a philosophy that means young players have a clear road to the first team.
Isn't it a safe assumption? He was selected in the previous game ahead of him. Why wouldn't he be for the next one? After all, they went to the effort of recalling him..

Again, you're using the wider 'philosophy' to ignore the specifics I'm referring to when I say that there was an element of luck (and I'm not suggesting a massive amount, but it's there...).

Yes, he gives young players a chance. Yes, the thin squad is deliberate so he has kids to fall back on..... but that kid - in the example I'm talking about - would have been will keane were it not for a knock.

And we're not just talking a promising debut. That introduction was huge for our season. Without an injury to a far less talented player - who lvg selected ahead of him - it wouldn't have happened.

Quote:
Yeah, who follows Real Madrid in this day and age.
Yes, because checking the scores and remembering the feeling on the terraces from 2012 are exactly the same.

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Tumescent Throb

why do people still pretend that rashford only got a chance out of luck?

van gaal gave a load of youngsters a go and rashford had been involved with the squad plenty before he got a game. that's how top managers who give youth a chance go about it.

i just checked the obvious comparison: everyone knows giggs made his debut in march 91 against everton, right? everyone knows he scored against city in may that season, right? anyone remember how many apps he got in between? zero. anyone know when his next appearance was? august. and 50 more appearances that season followed. rashford has had the rug pulled from under his feet by the change in management. not sure what point i was making here, but the situation with that team back then - loads of new signings, manager finding an identity to play to, team hopefully learning to win - is quite similar to the position we're in now and striker is a much more demanding position for a young kid coming into the united team than winger.

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:13 PM
Knockers

Love reading Siders' stuff but I honestly haven't heard any reds in real life even mention LVG all year. Fred's a law unto itself.

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:14 PM
saffers

Quote:
He started it
Quote:
Originally Posted by £#%&! KFC
'again'...it's all the boring @#%&! ever does ffs
Quote:
Spice up the Rooney to be a coach, Mark Goldbridge and 'who's your favourite celebrity red' threads and it's a done deal, pal.
ffs lads

I started it, I always start it, i'm a £#%&!ing danger

I admit it, I am obsessed with louis van gaal and won't recover until we win the premier league again!

Unread 12-02-2017, 09:14 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Isn't it a safe assumption? He was selected in the previous game ahead of him. Why wouldn't he be for the next one? After all, they went to the effort of recalling him..

Again, you're using the wider 'philosophy' to ignore the specifics I'm referring to when I say that there was an element of luck (and I'm not suggesting a massive amount, but it's there...).

Yes, he gives young players a chance. Yes, the thin squad is deliberate so he has kids to fall back on..... but that kid - in the example I'm talking about - would have been will keane were it not for a knock.

And we're not just talking a promising debut. That introduction was huge for our season. Without an injury to a far less talented player - who lvg selected ahead of him - it wouldn't have happened.

Yes, because checking the scores and remembering the feeling on the terraces from 2012 are exactly the same.
I follow the Spanish league. So I remember this story. And was reminded of it recently. No big deal, but deflect all you want.

And it's still an assumption. I suspect Rashford would have had his chance at some stage, anyway.

But as Ethers rightly suggests, he could have (and I thought he was going to) put Memphis up front for that Europa game. He went with Rashford.

Quote:
ffs lads

I started it, I always start it, i'm a £#%&!ing danger

I admit it, I am obsessed with louis van gaal and won't recover until we win the premier league again!

I know, pal. Every single time you kick it off and watch people call me out for starting it.

If you weren't fam I'd have mentioned this already
Closed Thread