United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-05-2010, 09:34 AM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
has Ian Holloway signed up for ITV's coverage yet?

Banterfest ahoy
he is in milan locked in talks to replace maureen. Stays on here

Unread 25-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Switching Off

Default Re: The World Cup

Watching Greece v South Korea, striker called Jong Tae-Se looks pretty good. Scored one 25 yard cracker and a second where he took a nice touch to get past the defender.

Better than Chico last night

Unread 25-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Tumescent Throb

spain have got a virtual bye through to round 2

but group G is much harder to predict, and the runners-up could give them some problems

i imagine england will win its group with USA runners up

group D is wide open though, although england should kill whoever comes out of it in 2nd place

whoever wins it will be wary of the USA in phase 2

Q/Fs

France/South Africa vs England
Holland vs Brazil
Argentina vs USA

edit: Italy vs Spain

USA are one big performance against Maradona's unpredictables away from the big time and might fancy its chances against Spain as well. June 12th, 7.30pm, preview of the Final?

Unread 25-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Ginners

south africa ffs

Unread 25-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Grimson

Can't see past an adidas v Nike final.

Unread 25-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
puma might have something to say about that

Unread 25-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloane
puma might have something to say about that
Semis. Beaten in extra time.

Unread 25-05-2010, 10:14 PM
MPLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
spain have got a virtual bye through to round 2

but group G is much harder to predict, and the runners-up could give them some problems

i imagine england will win its group with USA runners up

group D is wide open though, although england should kill whoever comes out of it in 2nd place

whoever wins it will be wary of the USA in phase 2

Q/Fs

France/South Africa vs England
Holland vs Brazil
Argentina vs USA

edit: Italy vs Spain

USA are one big performance against Maradona's unpredictables away from the big time and might fancy its chances against Spain as well. June 12th, 7.30pm, preview of the Final?
If England kill France I will personally paypal you £10,000

Unread 25-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
More predictable than the Elephant World Cup at least. Africa v India every £#%&!ing year

Unread 26-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Switching Off

Nice piece on the greatest* world cup ever, 1990. TOTO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathans..._world_cu.html

Quote:
"I'd had a great season for Juventus, scoring 23 goals, but I was one of the last to be called up," recalls Schillachi. "The press helped me a lot and I was just so happy to be in the squad because I didn't expect it.

"Twenty years have gone by now, but it seems so recent still. Whenever there's a World Cup, I always think back to 1990. It was a beautiful experience, truly unforgettable and it brought me worldwide fame."
Quote:
Before I get too misty eyed reminiscing, a quick reality check. I'm aware if you happened not to be an impressionable youngster in 1990, you might not look back too fondly at a World Cup that saw a lot of defensive football, a paucity of goals and a spate of shocking incidents that led to red cards, not to mention the dullest final ever. But anyway...

Unread 26-05-2010, 04:56 PM
red in cumbria

Indeed, 1990 was the WORST finals of modern times, not the best. So bad, indeed, that even the waste of space that is FIFA was shocked into bringing in rule changes to make the game less defensive.........

(it is no coincidence, of course, that 1990 was also THEIR most recent title win )

Unread 26-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Grimson

Yeah, 1990 was truly awful, and Schillachi was probably the least-talented 'star performer' at a World Cup that I can remember.

Unread 26-05-2010, 06:26 PM
red in cumbria

It didn't help that he got career-crippling injuries just afterwards, tbf

Unread 26-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Switching Off

I was 9 at the time. Had watched United for about 2 seasons properly, and well in to Ingerlund. Great memories, glorious failure (like proper glorious failure, not the rubbish surrendering that is mistaken for it nowadays) and THAT song

If I was older i'd probably agree with you two though. Shame that 1994 was such a washout for the English too, what with no representation and night time matches; a generation must've missed out on seeing a world cup as a young child

£#%&!ing Brazil in 4 years

Unread 26-05-2010, 06:34 PM
waynes ear's

I sat and watched the 94 final with a pint in the golden sands hotel bar in malta. Guy next to me bought it at half time, said i looked like i needed it. I was 14

Unread 26-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
I was 9 at the time. Had watched United for about 2 seasons properly, and well in to Ingerlund. Great memories, glorious failure (like proper glorious failure, not the rubbish surrendering that is mistaken for it nowadays) and THAT song

If I was older i'd probably agree with you two though. Shame that 1994 was such a washout for the English too, what with no representation and night time matches; a generation must've missed out on seeing a world cup as a young child

£#%&!ing Brazil in 4 years
its only 4 hours you girl

Unread 26-05-2010, 06:41 PM
ralph

Top 10 goals from the 82 and 86 world cup's. Some good shit.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...10/8688369.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...10/8699000.stm

Unread 26-05-2010, 06:41 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Which is perfect. First group stage kick-off of the day at 5pm instead of 1pm Uk time is better, surely?

Unread 26-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
My bad, thought it was 6. Might actually be ok then, tea time, mide evening and midnight kos would be fine

Unread 26-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Sloane

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Which is perfect. First group stage kick-off of the day at 5pm instead of 1pm Uk time is better, surely?
for the workers yeah.
plus these days with most people having record facilities kids can watch it in the morning etc
Closed Thread