United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Give him a third series, you shits?
Yes 83 79.05%
Nah, but thanks 13 12.38%
Need to sleep on it as I'm too emotive rn 9 8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 26-05-2024, 09:39 PM
Neo

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
It’s obviously absolutely terrible that we finished 8th. But I don’t know if I see much difference between 5th and 10th really. Had a Chelsea fan earlier sending me a pic of the league table, apparently trying to claim the glory of 7th place as if that makes up for us £#%&!ing them off into the Europa Vauxhall Conference League. I mean.. so what?
The League position stattos are all another odd part of modern football culture, to me. Quite frankly, I couldn't give a £#%&! where we finish in the League unless its 1st place.

I find the obsession with 'top 4' all a bit strange, as unless you think United have got a genuine chance of winning the Champions league, what's the point of being in it.

I'd much rather have won the FA Cup this season and finished 8th, compared with scraping 4th and finishing without a trophy. Silverware is etched into a club's history for all time; top 4 finishes aren't.

Winning the two domestic trophies in his first two seasons, whilst building a new side smattered with exciting youth, is a good platform for ten Hag to mount a title challenge in his third season, especially with Klopp gone. To throw that all away for a Pochettino who has never won anything, or a Tuchel who leaves every club under a cloud, would be madness IMO.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:05 PM
jem

league position is kind of irrelevant. quite glad we weren't going to have to waste time on third rate euro shit. we've undermined that, but at least it's second rate. will it be enough to allow us to buy the world class players we can't afford to make shit tactics look better? who can say?

kudos to 10h for the way he dealt with the pre-match press focus, though.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:14 PM
Finport Red

For me, it boils down to this. If qualifying for the champions league is more important and considered a success, while winning the fa cup and qualifying for the Europa, after all the injuries we went through this season, is a sackable offence, then we are no longer the special club we think we are and have been.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:16 PM
Bishovetz

Another year's the logical answer.Ineos are doing a season review this week and nothing wlil happen until after it.Give him another year with an injury free squad, turf out the chaff and get a few new signings. We've got some great young uns making the 1st team and the future's bright.
What's the point of continiuing with this manager merry go round.
He's got us to 3 finals in 2 seasons. OK in the league we've been shit but ffs 44 seperate injuries, 15 different centre back partnerships and no recognised left back all season.
He's stopped citeh doing a back to back double. He's stopped the vermin winning a possible double. He's sent Chelsea into the conference league and kicked the barcodes out of Europe.
We're on the march with Erik's army............

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:16 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red View Post
For me, it boils down to this. If qualifying for the champions league is more important and considered a success, while winning the fa cup and qualifying for the Europa, after all the injuries we went through this season, is a sackable offence, then we are no longer the special club we think we are and have been.
Nutshell.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:27 PM
jem

Quote:
I won't cry if he stays. but he needs to make better decisions. injuries partially excuse not making cl, but not the way we played. not at all.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:29 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
I won't cry if he stays. but he needs to make better decisions. injuries partially excuse not making cl, but not the way we played. not at all.
The dying groan of a flip.flopper.....

Welcome.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:30 PM
The taste of...

This lot very very nearly got relegated

We kept the manager and were Champions of Europe five years later

Obviously he was never getting sacked but the league position that year fell into a much bigger picture

We had a few decent prospects coming through too

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:31 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
I was trying to say pretty much this on the previous page, but you put it more eloquently.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:44 PM
BigRonManager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post

Welcome.
Flip flopping on ten Hag is the only honest position that exists imo. It shows an open mind to all factors, and open-mindedness used to be called an attribute whereas closed-minded dogmatism was a fault. Now it’s called flip-flopping.

And btw, the only loonies who say league position isn’t important are the ones who just finished 8th in a 6 horse race. We’re all embarrassed, its just that some of us will admit it where others won’t.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:47 PM
jem

Quote:

Welcome.
whoa, there, private.

no flipping or flopping here. I am merely acknowledging that he might stay and that, if he does, he needs to improve his decision-making significantly to justify the faith that will have been placed in him.

there is no excuse for not picking a midfield til the tail-end of the season. bleating that you can't play the way you want to because of injuries and then playing that way anyway is stupid. as is expecting mistake-free football. much as you have to adjust your plans to accommodate injuries, you have to adapt your position to allow for the other team taking the ball away. dalot at cf might produce a goal a season for us, but it will produce 10 for our opponents.

I am not an inner. I hope he changes, because I won't.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:48 PM
Bunker Buster

Sounds inner'y

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:50 PM
BigRonManager

Quote:
whoa, there, private.

no flipping or flopping here. I am merely acknowledging that he might stay and that, if he does, he needs to improve his decision-making significantly to justify the faith that will have been placed in him.

there is no excuse for not picking a midfield til the tail-end of the season. bleating that you can't play the way you want to because of injuries and then playing that way anyway is stupid. as is expecting mistake-free football. much as you have to adjust your plans to accommodate injuries, you have to adapt your position to allow for the other team taking the ball away. dalot at cf might produce a goal a season for us, but it will produce 10 for our opponents.

To which i’d add that he stumbled onto a proper midfield because of the injury to Fernandes. At least he had the good sense to stick with it when Bruno came back. What a difference it made.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:51 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
whoa, there, private.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:53 PM
jem

Quote:
Sounds inner'y

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
and a "whoa there, neddy!" to you, too.

Unread 26-05-2024, 10:54 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonManager View Post
To which i’d add that he stumbled onto a proper midfield because of the injury to Fernandes. At least he had the good sense to stick with it when Bruno came back. What a difference it made.
1 game ??!!

C'mon maaaan

Unread 26-05-2024, 11:52 PM
croady26

I would only change him for Tuchel now, anyone else and I am prepared to see how he does under new structure

Unread 27-05-2024, 12:15 AM
poppy

Gone.

Unread 27-05-2024, 12:24 AM
Stickman

I've softened over the weekend and having read this thread and some of the viewpoints....

I'm aware that could be the jubilation typing and that I could well kick myself for wavering come October.

A huge part of me wants him to stick it right up the %@#$&!s of the media. Foe one, that Lineker Shearer interview pissed me right off (Amidst the joy).

Unread 27-05-2024, 12:42 AM
History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
I've softened over the weekend and having read this thread and some of the viewpoints....

I'm aware that could be the jubilation typing and that I could well kick myself for wavering come October.

A huge part of me wants him to stick it right up the %@#$&!s of the media. Foe one, that Lineker Shearer interview pissed me right off (Amidst the joy).
Yeah, I feel like defending him because people who have nothing to do with United are piping up demanding what needs to happen to him. Us against the world and all that

I can call him shit YOU Alan shearer cannot say £#%&! all you stinky #@&%!.

I've lost my rag with him a few times this season with some of his changes and approach to games (May have shouted sack the @#%&! after a 4th went in or something) but I think we've seen it time and time again with the players they can half put it together for a managers first 12 months and then it does go off the boil

So it was not unreasonable to expect a drop off, not everything can go in an upward trajectory at all times.

All in all, he's won two trophies in two seasons. The first 12 months do have to count for something and even in this mental season where EVERYTHING has gone against us/him (some potentially his own doing) he's still come out with a trophy. A lesser manager does not do that.

backing him