United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Give him a third series, you shits?
Yes 83 79.05%
Nah, but thanks 13 12.38%
Need to sleep on it as I'm too emotive rn 9 8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 26-05-2024, 07:25 PM
The taste of...

Eiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggttttttttttttttthhhhhhhh

Unread 26-05-2024, 07:29 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic View Post
Would you take this season again next season? 8th in the league, 13 defeats, dumped out of Europe stage 1 , neggy GD but an FA Cup win against City? Probably not. Heart right now says let him have his 3rd series but of course if it’s not going the right way then INEOS are gonna see it as time wasted…

Coin flip innit. I think he’ll carry on tbh
Hell yes! I remember when the odd fa cup won was all we had to celebrate. We've been somewhat spoiled since, we need to remember a trophy win is a trophy win and the FA cup is special.

Another win brings us back level with Arsenal for the most wins as well.

Unread 26-05-2024, 07:51 PM
Bunker Buster

Fa cup.and top 4 next season ???

If give the statue guy a tinkle..... "Can you do bald bronze"

Unread 26-05-2024, 07:59 PM
Fat Al

Do we want to finish top 4 just to get into the CL (which we won't win) or do we want to win things (other than the PL)?

Because until city are punished for their cheating, it's never going to be a level playing field. Anyone will struggle to finish above them in the league.

So we can only realistically aim for FA Cup, League Cup or Europa. And being in the Europa means either not finishing in the top 4 or getting dumped out of the CL.

Unread 26-05-2024, 08:04 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of... View Post
Eiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggttttttttttttttthhhhhhhh

I wonder what the "but we finished 8th" lads would deem an acceptable League finish, under the circumstances?

Would top 6 be enough for them? Or would it need to be a fight for 4th? If so, do they not think we'd have finished higher than 8th if we weren't playing Casemiro and Evans at centre back for the bulk of the run-in, didn't have our best player out injured for the last 3 months, and didn't have the issues with Greenwood and Sancho?

Fact is, winning yet another trophy and qualifying for Europe once again is a miraculous achievement given the above. As ten Hag said yesterday, maybe some people who don't see this don't have any knowledge about football.

Unread 26-05-2024, 08:19 PM
BigRonManager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b View Post
I don't disagree as such, but I don't think it's going to do anyone any good to be in that situation.

The club need to be sure in what they do, if they back him then back him. If they don't then sack him and move on. If the club aren't sure whether to extend his contract or not then he can't be a manager next season. There's no point. The first sign of a stumble and he's gone, and it'll be another season wasted.

Imo the manager and the players will be at their best without the uncertainty over the management situation, which will rumble on until he has a new deal or he's sacked.
Then I don’t think we’d be learning from the past. We didn’t need to make Ole permanent when we did, but the feel-good factor after Mourinho and the PSG result made us rush to judgement. He wasn’t going anywhere. It was all downhill from there. We didn’t need to give Mourinho an extension, but for similar reasons to the ones you expressed, I think they felt that affirmation and security would make for a better performance. It all went downhill and he was sacked less than a year later.

Ten Hag has a contract, we don’t need to rush, and where we disagree is this notion of stability and security. Maybe it’s better to have an environment where everyone is playing/managing for their lives. Security is overrated; this is why players who have no competition for their places go to shit. If ten Hag thinks he deserves security after last season then he’s a fool, but maybe after yesterday he DOES deserve a chance.

Turning points are what you’re looking for. Fergie had one. Arteta had one. And if there’s even a chance that yesterday was one, then we have to let it breathe and find out. Previous false dawns or the fact you may be wrong shouldn’t deter from the bravery of finding out, otherwise you truly become Chelsea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
I can't help feeling that the ones who want him out are focusing on punishing him for a poor league and European season, rather than on what actually happens next.

He's got to three cup finals in his first two seasons, bringing home two major trophies.

He beat the best team around in this final, absolutely outclassing Guardiola tactically when most people were adamant we'd get smashed. All with a ridiculous injury list and various off-field nonsense. I think it showed remarkable toughness and resilience to brush off the relentless criticism and piss-taking to win that cup. It was also telling how the players reacted - do this lot look like they hate him?

We had five academy graduates on the pitch ffs. Two of them scored - players he brought through, he trusted and believed in.

I think all this easily earns him another season and I find the likely options of Tuchel and Gerbil Face completely uninspiring. Who had the better season, United or Chelsea? Am I really supposed to be excited at the Chelsea manager who just took them to a shit season winning £#%&! all coming to replace this? £#%&! off It's mental.

We'd be crazy to stop this now. Let him work under the new structure, give him some decent signings and let this crazy shiny-headed £#%&!er have a crack at the title.
Which is why I think they may U-turn. The sentiment from everyone yesterday (fans AND players) was just too strong not to see how it plays out. If it’s a mistake then it’s a mistake. What will we have lost, six months? But if it’s right.......

Unread 26-05-2024, 08:34 PM
Lodestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post

I wonder what the "but we finished 8th" lads would deem an acceptable League finish, under the circumstances?

Would top 6 be enough for them? Or would it need to be a fight for 4th? If so, do they not think we'd have finished higher than 8th if we weren't playing Casemiro and Evans at centre back for the bulk of the run-in, didn't have our best player out injured for the last 3 months, and didn't have the issues with Greenwood and Sancho?

Fact is, winning yet another trophy and qualifying for Europe once again is a miraculous achievement given the above. As ten Hag said yesterday, maybe some people who don't see this don't have any knowledge about football.
This is the crux of it. The focus should be on the structure around recruitment and performance which have been a disaster under the Glazers. Rather than making his mark with sacking a trophy winning manager in ETH, Big Jim could show some faith. We need a summer with sound investment on players that actually find their level and stay fit.

Unread 26-05-2024, 08:35 PM
BigRonManager

If I might be so bold as to give the ‘inners’ a piece of advice: the tide has clearly turned and the sentiment is obviously to give him more time; you don’t really need to keep swinging away and trying to pretend 8th and last in our CL group wasn’t £#%&!ing horrible, because it was. Just hurting your own arguments tbh.

“Praised for 8th” My God.

Unread 26-05-2024, 08:43 PM
History

Almost feels like there will be a super league type revolt if they sack him at this point.

I think most people see a decent man trying to do his job and to be completely undermined going into the cup final and the resilience he has then gone onto show in the face of it whilst getting the players to absolutely dick City. Which we did. Has reignited alot of faith.

They do need to reconsider and not repeat past mistakes. Dave and the Marginal gains crew throwing out the manager before giving Carringtons canteen new ergonomic cutlery or something

Unread 26-05-2024, 09:06 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonManager View Post
If I might be so bold as to give the ‘inners’ a piece of advice: the tide has clearly turned and the sentiment is obviously to give him more time; you don’t really need to keep swinging away and trying to pretend 8th and last in our CL group wasn’t £#%&!ing horrible, because it was. Just hurting your own arguments tbh.

“Praised for 8th” My God.
There’s a lot of lads on here who saw relegation- and a lot of false promises under big Ron the Manager…. We saw a few horrible league positions under Sir Mother£#%&!er too…. We nearly chucked the baby out with the bath water

You got a set of big red balls? Just for one year and see how it goes under
a more professional structure?

Unread 26-05-2024, 09:06 PM
marlo

Absolutely not!

Was a good win that the club needed but it’s also a brilliant send off that covers up the embarrassment of a season we have largely had.

He would be back to picking Antony every game and chaos football in August if given the chance….

On reflection that fa cup means his time will be looked at more favourably

I’m also suprised that all do a sudden the players aren’t throwing him under the bus anymore….or was that just an excuse….

Unread 26-05-2024, 09:13 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Brighton haven't won two trophies last time I checked ?? Bit odd.....

Try and enjoy stuff jem...

League table finish is actually irrelevant if you're not going for the big top two.....

As many predicted we would this year,

It's relentless, every week,vtwo times a week, the injuries we've had are unbelievable, mount comes back, scores, OUT, Licha back, couple of wins OUT. shaw slips on a burger, malacia is up the duff with Rashfords kid, rashford, Antony, Sancho, greenwood, off field SHENANIGANS....

he should praised for 8th, for me, or given the respect of a solid second season, because this wasn't his year ...

Hand on heart 90% of our end yesterday was fully behind him. FULLY......

It would really be an act of scumbags to flirt him after that......Liverpool and city battered in the way to an fa cup win.... (Sorry Coventry)

We will forever have yesterday.....

That was a good one tbf

Unread 26-05-2024, 09:13 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo View Post
Absolutely not!

Was a good win that the club needed but it’s also a brilliant send off that covers up the embarrassment of a season we have largely had.

He would be back to picking Antony every game and chaos football in August if given the chance….

I’m also suprised that all do a sudden the players aren’t throwing him under the bus anymore….or was that just an excuse….
Pathetic post,

Antony was dropped for a performing amad a while back, he was also a sub for 7 games after his return from Brazil.....
Instrumental in us getting to that win yesterday, quiet in his celebration,....

You're an absolute mess, truth be told...the players aren't throwing him under the bus now because.... ? They worked for him yesterday....

Be an odd year for you next year Milk carton Marlo ...

You've had a terrible season...

Unread 26-05-2024, 09:16 PM
Neo

Quote:
Absolutely not!

Unread 26-05-2024, 09:17 PM
NedKelly

Quote:

Unread 26-05-2024, 09:23 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

Neo got Marls on toast currently..... Interesting watch...

Unread 26-05-2024, 09:25 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
I just don’t think it’s clear cut anymore. But I can’t see how you can disregard yesterday’s result in assessing the manager - which is what it seems Bunks is suggesting.

Yesterday showed that he could adapt tactically to an opposition which is superior to us. The players seemed drilled about their jobs and performed them. We haven’t seen that practically all season.

We lose yesterday in the manner that we lost against all the shite teams we’ve lost to this season and there would be no excuses for him getting sacked. The win points to a better understanding.

Also you can’t ignore what that sort of result does for everyone connected with the club. It gives us a massive lift - the alternative being the worst United in prem history.

Lastly, none of the alternatives float many boats. I still think that’s possibly the biggest factor in his favour.
Very important point. Gives them a huge lift and the taste for more.

It’s obviously absolutely terrible that we finished 8th. But I don’t know if I see much difference between 5th and 10th really. Had a Chelsea fan earlier sending me a pic of the league table, apparently trying to claim the glory of 7th place as if that makes up for us £#%&!ing them off into the Europa Vauxhall Conference League. I mean.. so what?

I don’t know what I was expecting yesterday but it wasn’t the players coming together like that in a huge collective effort, following the manager’s instructions and dishing out a tactical lesson. We could have won it by more too. There seemed to be a fantastic spirit about them that was frustratingly absent most of the season.

Unread 26-05-2024, 09:30 PM
The taste of...

Quote:

Unread 26-05-2024, 09:34 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Absolutely not!

Unread 26-05-2024, 09:38 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote: