United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Give him a third series, you shits?
Yes 83 79.05%
Nah, but thanks 13 12.38%
Need to sleep on it as I'm too emotive rn 9 8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 26-05-2024, 04:17 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony View Post
This is a huge decision for the club and shouldn't be based on one game but a calm thoughtful analysis of the whole 2 years.

Are we going in the right direction?
What are the potential issues about replacing and not replacing?
Is there anyone better placed and available?

Yesterday demonstrated how good a coach ETH can be...just like City at home last year.

He hasn't been daunted by the challenges he has faced and has coped in an extremely hostile and difficult environment.

Seems made of strong stuff. Handles the press well.
If 3rd to 8th is the right direction - then yes.

someone's gonna post that ferguson went from 2nd to 12th or whatever it was

Unread 26-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRonManager View Post
Or it could just be the honest situation. Of course it would be preferable for the way forward to be clearer, but sometimes it just isn’t. Every manager, everywhere and at all times are being judged on the job they’re doing and auditioning for an extension, so if this situation is unclear then why should we be forced to do something just for appearances sake? We don’t know if ten Hag’s the right man. He could be, but he hadn’t done enough this year to be convinced of that, however there are reasons to be patient and find out for sure. We may be missing a big opportunity to capitalize on yesterday.

The man has a contract - why would we need to commit to either terminating it or extending it when there’s doubt? And any reasonable person, including the man himself, would admit there’s doubt. If you think doubt is enough to bin then I get it, but I think there’s as much chance of us making a much better fist of things next year as not. Why not find out, especially as there’s no obvious candidate to replace him?

I reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow.
I don't disagree as such, but I don't think it's going to do anyone any good to be in that situation.

The club need to be sure in what they do, if they back him then back him. If they don't then sack him and move on. If the club aren't sure whether to extend his contract or not then he can't be a manager next season. There's no point. The first sign of a stumble and he's gone, and it'll be another season wasted.

Imo the manager and the players will be at their best without the uncertainty over the management situation, which will rumble on until he has a new deal or he's sacked.

Unread 26-05-2024, 05:40 PM
Zorg

I can't help feeling that the ones who want him out are focusing on punishing him for a poor league and European season, rather than on what actually happens next.

He's got to three cup finals in his first two seasons, bringing home two major trophies.

He beat the best team around in this final, absolutely outclassing Guardiola tactically when most people were adamant we'd get smashed. All with a ridiculous injury list and various off-field nonsense. I think it showed remarkable toughness and resilience to brush off the relentless criticism and piss-taking to win that cup. It was also telling how the players reacted - do this lot look like they hate him?

We had five academy graduates on the pitch ffs. Two of them scored - players he brought through, he trusted and believed in.

I think all this easily earns him another season and I find the likely options of Tuchel and Gerbil Face completely uninspiring. Who had the better season, United or Chelsea? Am I really supposed to be excited at the Chelsea manager who just took them to a shit season winning £#%&! all coming to replace this? £#%&! off It's mental.

We'd be crazy to stop this now. Let him work under the new structure, give him some decent signings and let this crazy shiny-headed £#%&!er have a crack at the title.

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:07 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
I can't help feeling that the ones who want him out are focusing on punishing him for a poor league and European season, rather than on what actually happens next.

He's got to three cup finals in his first two seasons, bringing home two major trophies.

He beat the best team around in this final, absolutely outclassing Guardiola tactically when most people were adamant we'd get smashed. All with a ridiculous injury list and various off-field nonsense. I think it showed remarkable toughness and resilience to brush off the relentless criticism and piss-taking to win that cup. It was also telling how the players reacted - do this lot look like they hate him?

We had five academy graduates on the pitch ffs. Two of them scored - players he brought through, he trusted and believed in.

I think all this easily earns him another season and I find the likely options of Tuchel and Gerbil Face completely uninspiring. Who had the better season, United or Chelsea? Am I really supposed to be excited at the Chelsea manager who just took them to a shit season winning £#%&! all coming to replace this? £#%&! off It's mental.

We'd be crazy to stop this now. Let him work under the new structure, give him some decent signings and let this crazy shiny-headed £#%&!er have a crack at the title.
Yeah there’s obviously some decent points there and I don’t think it’s straightforward BUT, we lose yesterday and the above post would likely seem absurd.

We shouldn’t probably base the decision around emotion and one game and if we hadn’t brought the cup home I doubt there would be many ready for another season like this one…

All that said, I’m happy but a bit underwhelmed and doubtful if he stays but be a bit gutted yet optimisic (whilst still harbouring doubts obviously) if he goes.

In short, fck knows

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:16 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

One of the young players has barely played this season while he played Rashford and Antony pretty much every game he could instead.

I mean, i'm not going to be fuming if he stays, but he quite clearly deserves the sack. Let's remind ourselves:

Spurs 0-2 L
Arsenal 1-3 L
Brighton 1-3 L
Crystal Palace 0-1 L
Galatasary - 2-3 L
City 0-3 L
Newcastle 0-3 L
Copenhagen 3-4 L
Newcastle 0-1 L
Bournemouth 0-3 L
West Ham 0-2 L
Nottingham Forest 1-2 L
Fulham 1-2 L
City 1-3 L
Chelsea 3-4 L
Coventry 3-3 W on pens
Crystal Palace 0-4 L
Arsenal 0-1 L

It's our worst ever season in the PL and CL. It's bad. Worse than Moyes. Worse than Ole. Worse than Rangick.

And if Martinez is so important to his philosophy, maybe he should have sourced a suitable replacement in case, you know, the crucial part of his jigsaw gets injured? Instead of £85m wingers who are really bad, or £50 goalkeepers who are really bad, or £50m midfielders who are about to be free agents? And don't say Shaw, because all he had to do was review Shaw's career here to see exactly how reliable Shaw is.

Bullet head will be very very lucky to get a second (third) season. You shit.

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:17 PM
Bunker Buster

If we lost yesterday, like EVERYONE including myself thought would happen, those points still stand, 3 cup finals and a top 4 in two seasons is better than a £#%&!ing whole lot of the top flights....

Yesterday was irrelevant to what should happen....

Another year with us squad injury free

Another go at a cup, he seems to like winning them and a top 4 push....

To sack him after this would be absolutely disgusting....

Breath, Erik's got this...

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:22 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
If we lost yesterday, like EVERYONE including myself thought would happen, those points still stand, 3 cup finals and a top 4 in two seasons is better than a £#%&!ing whole lot of the top flights....

Yesterday was irrelevant to what should happen....

Another year with us squad injury free

Another go at a cup, he seems to like winning them and a top 4 push....

To sack him after this would be absolutely disgusting....

Breath, Erik's got this...
Honestly - for you i hope he stays and kills it next season. And me a bit obv.

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:25 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch View Post
If 3rd to 8th is the right direction - then yes.

someone's gonna post that ferguson went from 2nd to 12th or whatever it was
the gap for that white text was bigger than the hole in our midfield all season.

Quote:
nope. punishing him for stupidity. there are good reasons why we didn't do well in the league. there are no good reasons for the actual performances. win or lose (nice to win, obvs), what matters is whether the selections and tactics make sense. too often, they didn't. we played ridiculous high-risk football and were constantly caught out of position when (who could have predicted) we lost the ball. these weren't unlucky calls or unpredictable individual mistakes; they were staring you in the face, that's football, stupidity.

if you look at the actual game yesterday, rather than the result, he played a balanced team and sensible (underdog) tactics. rashford was predictably dogshit (one cross-field ball and sleepy var goal aside) and mctog was anonymous, but the broad picture made sense. however, even with that, we actually relied on a ridiculous mistake from city and then them missing a whole heap of chances that they would normally put away. it was gutsy, the second goal was a thing of beauty, but it was not masterful.

the fact that he has consistently let rashford play the way he does is £#%&!ing criminal, too. coach him. get him to do what he's good at. who knows? one day, he might actually believe he can beat walker to the ball and not just £#%&!ing give up every time.

Quote:
er... he is manager of manchester united, not brighton.

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:32 PM
Bunker Buster

Brighton haven't won two trophies last time I checked ?? Bit odd.....

Try and enjoy stuff jem...

League table finish is actually irrelevant if you're not going for the big top two.....

As many predicted we would this year,

It's relentless, every week,vtwo times a week, the injuries we've had are unbelievable, mount comes back, scores, OUT, Licha back, couple of wins OUT. shaw slips on a burger, malacia is up the duff with Rashfords kid, rashford, Antony, Sancho, greenwood, off field SHENANIGANS....

he should praised for 8th, for me, or given the respect of a solid second season, because this wasn't his year ...

Hand on heart 90% of our end yesterday was fully behind him. FULLY......

It would really be an act of scumbags to flirt him after that......Liverpool and city battered in the way to an fa cup win.... (Sorry Coventry)

We will forever have yesterday.....

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:34 PM
Jethro

Can't help think the club are going to £#%&! this up in spectacular fashion. He basically won the auditions for his own job yesterday.

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:34 PM
Zorg

Quote:
One of the young players has barely played this season while he played Rashford and Antony pretty much every game he could instead.

I mean, i'm not going to be fuming if he stays, but he quite clearly deserves the sack. Let's remind ourselves:

Spurs 0-2 L
Arsenal 1-3 L
Brighton 1-3 L
Crystal Palace 0-1 L
Galatasary - 2-3 L
City 0-3 L
Newcastle 0-3 L
Copenhagen 3-4 L
Newcastle 0-1 L
Bournemouth 0-3 L
West Ham 0-2 L
Nottingham Forest 1-2 L
Fulham 1-2 L
City 1-3 L
Chelsea 3-4 L
Coventry 3-3 W on pens
Crystal Palace 0-4 L
Arsenal 0-1 L

It's our worst ever season in the PL and CL. It's bad. Worse than Moyes. Worse than Ole. Worse than Rangick.

And if Martinez is so important to his philosophy, maybe he should have sourced a suitable replacement in case, you know, the crucial part of his jigsaw gets injured? Instead of £85m wingers who are really bad, or £50 goalkeepers who are really bad, or £50m midfielders who are about to be free agents? And don't say Shaw, because all he had to do was review Shaw's career here to see exactly how reliable Shaw is.

Bullet head will be very very lucky to get a second (third) season. You shit.

Tbf I didn’t know about those results. Brand new information.

Like I said, it seems to be more about punishing the manager than looking ahead. What has Pochettino done to deserve the job ffs? Failed with Spurs and failed with Chelsea, winning zero trophies. Whoopee £#%&!ing doo
He can get £#%&!ed, quite frankly.

As others have pointed out, if some other manager had won two major trophies in his first two seasons he’d be linked with the United job.

It’s daft to say he’s had a worst season than Moyes or Rangnick. Did you watch yesterday? I realise you said in the league and Europe but it’s silly to just pretend we didn’t just win a major trophy, beating Liverpool and city on the way, just because it’s convenient.

Imo the argument to replace him is still very weak.

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:38 PM
jem

Quote:
Brighton haven't won two trophies last time I checked ?? Bit odd.....

Try and enjoy stuff jem...
no, they haven't. the expectations are different. we have won more than most of the top flight. of course we £#%&!ing have. you are the one comparing our trophy haul and saying he's done ok. he £#%&!ing hasn't. he's got more trophies than clubs that don't expect to win any trophies. and arsenal.

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:39 PM
RedNick80

Quote:

Spurs 0-2 L
Arsenal 1-3 L
Brighton 1-3 L
Crystal Palace 0-1 L
Galatasary - 2-3 L
City 0-3 L
Newcastle 0-3 L
Copenhagen 3-4 L
Newcastle 0-1 L
Bournemouth 0-3 L
West Ham 0-2 L
Nottingham Forest 1-2 L
Fulham 1-2 L
City 1-3 L
Chelsea 3-4 L
Coventry 3-3 W on pens
Crystal Palace 0-4 L
Arsenal 0-1 L
Did you type all that out? Impressive if so.

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:43 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
no, they haven't. the expectations are different. we have won more than most of the top flight. of course we £#%&!ing have. you are the one comparing our trophy haul and saying he's done ok. he £#%&!ing hasn't. he's got more trophies than clubs that don't expect to win any trophies. and arsenal.
How about Chelsea ? Liverpool ? More cups in two seasons, no ?

Why you so angry ?

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:46 PM
jem

Quote:
How about Chelsea ? Liverpool ? More cups in two seasons, no ?

Why you so angry ?
I'm not angry. I'm having a lovely week-end.

only city, liverpool and arsenal could really expect to win a trophy these days. other than that, it's pot luck. football has changed.

winning a cup is great. I'm happy for 10h. I like 10h. he has made some £#%&!ing stupid decisions, though. fortunately, he was more jem than 10h yesterday. if he can be more jem in future, I could live with that.

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:54 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Ihe was more jem than 10h yesterday. if he can be more jem in future, I could live with that.
never change, you £#%&!ing old @#%&!....

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:56 PM
larry

Quote:
never change, you £#%&!ing old @#%&!....
thanks for posting that
i was about to get banned for my reply

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:56 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry View Post
thanks for posting that
i was about to get banned for my reply
Let it go Larry, came from the heart, jems sound....

Unread 26-05-2024, 06:57 PM
larry

Quote:
but it was not masterful.
sorry that our fa cup win over city was not masterful
you know... the one you said prior to when 10h said he'd bring the cup home that he should be banned from speaking? yeah that one

Quote:
Let it go Larry, came from the heart, jems sound....
he isn't but yeah

Unread 26-05-2024, 07:05 PM
Hyman_Roth

I just don’t think it’s clear cut anymore. But I can’t see how you can disregard yesterday’s result in assessing the manager - which is what it seems Bunks is suggesting.

Yesterday showed that he could adapt tactically to an opposition which is superior to us. The players seemed drilled about their jobs and performed them. We haven’t seen that practically all season.

We lose yesterday in the manner that we lost against all the shite teams we’ve lost to this season and there would be no excuses for him getting sacked. The win points to a better understanding.

Also you can’t ignore what that sort of result does for everyone connected with the club. It gives us a massive lift - the alternative being the worst United in prem history.

Lastly, none of the alternatives float many boats. I still think that’s possibly the biggest factor in his favour.