United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 21-05-2024, 11:44 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste View Post
We played 42 games in 92 too.

If Bellers is trying to say we ruined the game like it is now, he's just a wumming jug eared @#%&! I'm afraid
Yeah, ignore that though - we're EXACTLY like City, do what's the problem?

Unread 21-05-2024, 12:47 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste

If Bellers is trying to say we ruined the game like it is now, he's just a wumming jug eared @#%&! I'm afraid
I’m not I’m also not crying like a baby over city being better than us.

Unread 21-05-2024, 12:50 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste View Post

Jug Ears of Arabia

Unread 21-05-2024, 12:50 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
Because that's exactly what people are doing, isn't it?

Unread 21-05-2024, 01:08 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe View Post
I'm not crying. I can accept we're dogshit. But their dominance isn't the same and you know this

Unread 21-05-2024, 01:24 PM
Mr_Ed

I find watching United easier now if I just turn on the TV at kick off, watch the game, turn it off again and go about my business... I'm not sure if that's an age thing, a 'media' thing or just because they're shit.

I hate the media now. There's no good football coverage these days and how Sky can make headlines out of "Merse thinks United should sign xyz" or something. Really infuriates me.

Add to the overall game experience of VAR being a shit show too with no consistency whatsoever has tainted it beyond belief... the goals we've had chalked off this season (especially against Arsenal) have really ruined the whole experience.

Add to that our poor performances, slow but painful death at the hands of the Glazers and our two main rivals being much better than us... awful.

Unread 21-05-2024, 01:24 PM
pedr0

being honest, united not being very good is definitely a factor in my antipathy to modern football, compounded by the fact that it's our rivals who are cleaning up.

it's hard to get excited about united v Burnley when you know that we'll still be eighth whatever the result is. having grown up in the 90s, there was a broader "narrative" that each match was part of. every result would make or break your week.

when I go to games, the experience isn't really diminished, it's still possible to completely lose yourself in a match that is ultimately meaningless.

watching on tv, I admit I'm struggling to muster the same passion, and I go to a lot less games now.

the TV watching experience is further ruined by endless debate on refereeing decisions which I find incredibly boring. and ultimately is what led to VAR.

Unread 21-05-2024, 01:26 PM
Baron

Bloody love football, absolutely hated this season. We've been beyond shit, in just about every aspect we've failed to hit any of the marks you'd expect of a club our size & with our relatively recent success the drop off has been remarkable. You couldn't ever imagine it happening to Barca, Madrid, Bayern - in Italy maybe purely with the corruption angle but not the longevity of being shit. Juve got relegated & still came back & won the league before we've last done it

United was left in a shambles when Fergie left, the club has needed this INEOS input for a decade plus, they're not going to fix anything in one summer but I think it will tell us everything we need to know when we get past next weekend & see what we do with both our shit@#%&!s & the recruitment.

Looking back on the season, I can't believe what I've seen. ETH has been abject, absolute £#%&!ing passive shrinking violet. Shit communicator, shit tactics, utterly shit at subs. A shambolic & embarrassing effort at progress. Any of the mitigating factors have happened at other clubs, they just fixed up & got on with it.

I've not watched a side since Van Gaal's time & thought that an obviously top quality coach simply couldn't communicate to the group we have. They don't give a £#%&! about him. The lack of effort, the fundamental lack of commitment to the cause, be it his philosophy or putting in a shift. They don't care mate. They don't respect you. You're a dead man walking.

Unless INEOS come in & determine that ETH is more important than the players, sell off Rashford, Sancho & bin the old men on huge money it's just going to be more of the same. The Mainoo, Garnacho & Rassers trio is the building blocks for any reshaping, Martinez if he can keep fit obviously. But beyond that it's a lot of new faces required & that'll take 3 seasons?

The rest of football can just £#%&! off, I couldn't care less while we're this £#%&!.

Although I am quite looking forward to the Euros if I'm honest.

Unread 21-05-2024, 03:32 PM
Mou Mou Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona View Post
Well yeah, but they downed tools and got their manager sacked before that. There's a cluster of teams that were at it tbf.
That shows how 'non ruthless' we are. Our lot downed tools and we kept the £#%&!er on.

Unread 21-05-2024, 03:34 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mou Mou Land View Post
That shows how 'non ruthless' we are. Our lot downed tools and we kept the £#%&!er on.
Our lot’s many injuries are caused by their regular downing of tools. It’s them we need to get rid of.

Unread 21-05-2024, 03:38 PM
Mou Mou Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0 View Post
the TV watching experience is further ruined by endless debate on refereeing decisions which I find incredibly boring. and ultimately is what led to VAR.
I rarely agree with Simon Jordan, but he said exactly that to Martin Keown at the start of the season. Keown was giving it his usual 'I'm Plato in disguise' monologue and Jordan just broadsided him with,

'You and your mates caused this with your constant whinging and belittling of referees and refusal to accept decisions. It is true that you should be careful what you wish for, and this is all down to you'.

Unread 21-05-2024, 03:59 PM
atticusgrinch

The best things about this season were city getting knocked out of the CL and Klopp's farewell tour going tits up.

Mainoo, Dalot, Garnacho, Hojlund and Diallo (eventually) proved themselves as young united players with some %@#$&!s who can form the nucleus of a proper team going forwards.

Everything else was horrendous.

Unread 21-05-2024, 04:03 PM
madhattricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch View Post
The best things about this season were city getting knocked out of the CL and Klopp's farewell tour going tits up.

Mainoo, Dalot, Garnacho, Hojlund and Diallo (eventually) proved themselves as young united players with some %@#$&!s who can form the nucleus of a proper team going forwards.

Bruno was not horrendous. He was exceptional to the point I feel a bit bad we have failed to put a squad on the field to take advantage of his prime.

Unread 21-05-2024, 04:07 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhattricks View Post
Bruno was not horrendous. He was exceptional to the point I feel a bit bad we have failed to put a squad on the field to take advantage of his prime.
He was really bad until the last few weeks of the season. By his own high standards he was £#%&!ing rubbish for months and months.

Unread 21-05-2024, 04:19 PM
Finport Red

A pretty depressing season all round, where small rays of hope that appeared with a good performance and win quickly turned into a poke in the eye from the hope’s source. The injuries from the outset were horrendous, the defence and their replacements almost all going down around the same time.

Performances in Europe were shambolic, league form patchy, performances from just about everyone still fit, poor. We came back gloriously against Villa to beat them, then got beaten by forest the next week. Lost away easily to West Ham, beat them easily at home a few weeks later. We did ok from the turn of the year as we got players back, then they all got injured again and we were back to square one.

The win against Klopp on the fa cup, and the impact it had on the rest of their season was the highlight, Adrenalin wise, but not much to shout about other than that, except the kids coming through and the welcome return to form the last couple of months by Bruno.

On the premier league in general, it’s a farce of a competition now, a cheat’s charter through city, the refs who deal with their owners, var being the joke it is and the abysmal standard of reffing in general. The football has lost its soul, the joy is gone mostly with touches of genius replaced by many touches of methodical, mechanical borefests.

Still, mustn’t grumble.

Unread 21-05-2024, 04:29 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch View Post

Tbf we're in the FA Cup Final. I'd rate that above keyboard teeth's farewell.

Unread 21-05-2024, 07:26 PM
Hans Rimmer

I’m sick to £#%&!ing death of Pep. City would still be competitive without him, but only like they were with Pellegrini. There are enough decent players to go around to make a competitive team, but he is just an outstanding manager.

I’m sure I’ll get pelters but it’s true. When he goes next year there is a power void that we could place ourselves to fill if we act smart over the next few windows.

Unread 21-05-2024, 11:56 PM
Weekend Hussler

United were a shambles this season.

But agree with many of the points mentioned, that the whole league was rubbish.

Can't think of one player currently in the league that gets me off my seat.

In the past we've had the likes of Giggs, Ronaldo and Rooney and there's always been opposition playes who would bring unpredicatability and excitement, think of the likes of Ginola, Henry and Zola.

Now it's just robots playing across the league.

The problem is all these managers trying to be Aldi versions of Pep.

Everyone obsessed with tiki-taka and possession football, and it just sucked the life out of the league.

We needed to bring back the likes of Big Sam and Harry Redknapps, the managers with a bit of grit and a different game plan. They knew how to mix it up and keep things interesting.

Unread 22-05-2024, 12:25 AM
marlo

this season has been a disaster because we have wasted money in the summer and have a shit manager so it compounds the misery.

I’d say the quality of the league is high relatively but also the rest of Europe have got better etc.

i watch alot of football and most you don’t watch any games outside of United so aren’t well placed to speak about anything other than your myopic United views.

most teams that we play , look good, good styles of play , all energetic and quite clinical.

The reason it’s abit meh is because we have never been this far behind the leading pack and I’m not just talking points.

We have maybe 1 world class player in our squad and half of most teams in the league can walk into our starting 11.
Look at the England squad for example, we don’t have established attacking player in there yet we used to have all our English players literally starters.
we used to be a top heavy team full of the best attacking talent and now our forwards are Antony, Hojlund, Rashford and garnacho. None of them would start for any of the top 6.
We have a dodgy keeper and our “savior” CB has been injured for 65 percent of his time here.

So of course football is dead, it’s because we are at deaths door!
Most teams are odds on to beat us at OT nowadays with the bookies

We’ve become a team that you associate with failure and embarrassing defeats
you turn on a live game to see us always being outplayed, you turn up at The grounds and can’t understand why every team looks fitter, stronger and better than us.

We are in big trouble and it won’t get better until we change half the squad and the manager who bought half the bullshit we have in our squad and can’t get the best out of a half decent squad anyway.

Unread 22-05-2024, 12:43 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo View Post
this season has been a disaster because we have wasted money in the summer and have a shit manager so it compounds the misery.

I’d say the quality of the league is high relatively but also the rest of Europe have got better etc.

i watch alot of football and most you don’t watch any games outside of United so aren’t well placed to speak about anything other than your myopic United views.

most teams that we play , look good, good styles of play , all energetic and quite clinical.

The reason it’s abit meh is because we have never been this far behind the leading pack and I’m not just talking points.

We have maybe 1 world class player in our squad and half of most teams in the league can walk into our starting 11.
Look at the England squad for example, we don’t have established attacking player in there yet we used to have all our English players literally starters.
we used to be a top heavy team full of the best attacking talent and now our forwards are Antony, Hojlund, Rashford and garnacho. None of them would start for any of the top 6.
We have a dodgy keeper and our “savior” CB has been injured for 65 percent of his time here.

So of course football is dead, it’s because we are at deaths door!
Most teams are odds on to beat us at OT nowadays with the bookies

We’ve become a team that you associate with failure and embarrassing defeats
you turn on a live game to see us always being outplayed, you turn up at The grounds and can’t understand why every team looks fitter, stronger and better than us.

We are in big trouble and it won’t get better until we change half the squad and the manager who bought half the bullshit we have in our squad and can’t get the best out of a half decent squad anyway.
…I’m Steve Bower and welcome to the official 2023/24 season review”