United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-01-2023, 01:51 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Nah, Pickford comes out with incredible saves from time to time. Same with Lloris, but they’re incredibly susceptible to things they should save and other areas of the job, same with De Gea. Wouldn’t have any of them in goal for United at all.
I really don’t think he does at all. He makes average saves look difficult. I think he’s absolute dog shit. Agree to disagree on this one, I suspect.

Agree I wouldn’t have any as United keeper.

Unread 23-01-2023, 01:53 PM
dunk

He made an incredible save the other day, pushing a shot onto the bar at point blank range. Has denied us with incredible saves on occasion.

Lloris made 3 incredible saves at OT this season.

Saves are positioning plus reaction, any keeper is capable of them.

Unread 23-01-2023, 01:57 PM
believe

I'm not sure how people can be critical of De Gea's distribution when the game play is for him to pass the ball 5-10 yards to the nearest defender which he does 30-40 times a game. I don't get it but it seems to be the new method and almost every team in Europe does it.

What De Gea suffers from is the same thing Shaw and most of our defenders have suffered from over the last ten years and that's our inability to control and dominate in the attacking areas. When you're under constant pressure from teams that dominate the attack no matter how good a player you are you're bound to make mistakes. It's no coincidence that in the handful of matches we've dominated the attack this season, no one has mentioned de Gea or Shaw other than that they've had good games.

If you look at the 90's team we dominated the attack in 95% of the games we played and we limited most teams to two or three chances a game. What made the players great or even world class was to be ready for these two or three chances and keep that focus for 90 minutes. In the handful of games we were dominated by the opposition (Sheff Wed 3-1 and dippers coming back for 3 down spring immediately to mind) the likes of Schmeichel, Bruce, Irwin etc etc were more than capable of making mistakes but thankfully it rarely happened. It was the same with the team in 2006-2010.

There isn't a successful side in the history of football who didn't dominate the attack and it purely boils down to the law of averages. If I had ten one on ones against Schmeichel I reckon I could make him make a mistake one time and I'm shit. If I had two I'd never have a chance.

For ten years de Gea when called upon once or twice a game he's saved us plenty of times, when he's faced ten to fifteen chances he's £#%&!ed up just has many times. When Shaw was part of an England side that reached the final of the Euros he was probably the player of the tournament and he's done it plenty of times for United.

It's a shame for both of them actually because they'll probably never get the credit they deserve when people talk about them in years to come. Had de Gea played in the 90's team or Shaw in the 2008 team I bet 100% they'd be remembered as great players, or even World Class.

For the record I don't think anyone was really at fault yesterday, we just faced a very good Arsenal side who proved why they're top of the table and despite that I think we were unlucky to not get a point.

Unread 23-01-2023, 02:03 PM
Ethers

De Gea looks incredibly awkward even when making a ten yard pass. It’s like the difference between Fellaini making a short pass and Casemiro making one. So yes in basic terms it’s a simple thing, there’s still a big difference between a keeper that does it well (they basically look like outfield players) and a keeper that looks out of their comfort zone doing it. If you can do it swiftly, you don’t give the opposition forwards the time to reset and launch their press as well.

Furthermore, if there’s no short ball on, your keeper should be able to ping a mid range pass to the next bank of players. He can’t do that with any consistency and rarely even attempts it.

Unread 23-01-2023, 02:07 PM
dunk

Or plonks it straight out of play, usually in his own half, giving the opposition the ball, he impetus and the opportunity to pin us in. As happened yesterday when he struggled to clear that half way line time and again.

He makes good saves, but there’s far more soft goals that he’s given a pass on imo.

He had a purple patch 2015-17 when by and large he was superb, despite his weaknesses, and I was fully behind him, expecting him to improve the rest of his game, he never has, his kicking has gone backwards and his up and down form in the last 5-6 years has had him stuck to his line more than ever, until ETH has insisted on him being more positive this season.

Unread 23-01-2023, 02:08 PM
Bunker Buster

Needs moving on......

He's a complete and utter fanny...

Unread 23-01-2023, 02:12 PM
dunk

Sorry, last I’m saying on the matter; it’s always someone else’s fault. How many goals come from a ball across our 6 yard box? Everyone always blames the fullbacks, why is he never ready to come out and deal with the cross, ever? Why does it not happen to every other keeper with quite the regularity?

Even yesterday, that balls goes out to the winger for the first goal, where is it going? Literally one place. Across the box. 2 steps out, I step back he is in a position to pre-empt and step out and catch/punch. He never moves from the safety of the near post so Nkeitah has an empty goal.

AWB should be dealing with it. De Gea should be trying.

Unread 23-01-2023, 02:14 PM
GBMUFC2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
He's 'on the radar' apparently. As well as the Leeds keeper...
I mentioned the Leeds keeper a few weeks ago along with Palhinha from Fulham. They would be two great signing IMO

Unread 23-01-2023, 02:17 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMUFC2020
I mentioned the Leeds keeper a few weeks ago along with Palhinha from Fulham. They would be two great signing IMO
De Gea Mk.2. Nope.

Unread 23-01-2023, 02:19 PM
AK14

When ever I’ve watched the Leeds keeper he’s come over as a bigger @#%&! than Dave.

Get either the Porto or Brighton keeper

Unread 23-01-2023, 02:21 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
When ever I’ve watched the Leeds keeper he’s come over as a bigger @#%&! than Dave.

Get either the Porto or Brighton keeper
Yeah he’s been woeful whenever I’ve seen him. Don’t see the fuss.

I think the general standard of goalkeeping is really poor right now. Best in the league is probably Alison and he has his dumb moments. Best of a bad bunch.

I think Ederson is the most overrated keeper in world football.

Unread 23-01-2023, 02:36 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Needs moving on......

true. mondays are always like this when we lose. this is his brexit thread.

oh....

Unread 23-01-2023, 03:55 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
true. mondays are always like this when we lose. this is his brexit thread.

oh....
Another thread your are utterly and hopelessly wrong in.

Oh indeed.

Unread 23-01-2023, 04:09 PM
jem

Quote:
Another thread your are utterly and hopelessly wrong in.

Oh indeed.
you seem to be under the impression that I think de gea is wonderful. it's not about de gea; it's about you and your "ffs, de gea" every time he puts a foot wrong. he has his weaknesses, but he is not the £#%&!ing walking liability that you make him out to be.

Unread 23-01-2023, 04:17 PM
dunk

He is though

Unread 23-01-2023, 04:43 PM
believe

Quote:
Sorry, last I’m saying on the matter;.

Unread 23-01-2023, 04:44 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe

Unread 23-01-2023, 04:45 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
It was I was just answering jem beyond that.

Unread 23-01-2023, 04:47 PM
marlo

a absolute #@&%!. a shit #@&%!.

im firmly in the same camp as dunk and would put replacing him the priority.

every time there sa cross or corner I'm £#%&!ing nervous and the #@&%! says routed to the line as if its a penalty.

I don't think I've seen him come forward and gather the ball in the air.

his distribution is embarrassing most of the the time. yes try and play out of the back but if the ball is returned to you hastily in quick succession just float one that cross the half way line at least.

Unread 23-01-2023, 06:05 PM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Needs moving on......

If you compare his attitude to Schmeichel, and even van der Sar, the difference is night and day.

I still remember a couple of occasions against Everton and Leipzig a couple of years ago when he totally bottled coming off his line when the striker was through. Terrified of getting clattered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMUFC2020
That Leeds keeper is scrawny and shite.
Closed Thread