United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-09-2022, 01:23 PM
wiganste

Default Juventus v United 1999

Re-watched THAT game last night, the full 90 minutes.

It will always be remembered as the Roy Keane game. But to be honest, he wasn't the best player on the pitch. Ronny Johnsen was immense - he was everywhere and didn't give them a sniff (after the debacle of the first 10 mins)

Also, we totally dominated the game which surprised me - the first leg they were all over us and we were lucky to get a 1-1 out of it.
But the 2nd leg, we had around 70% of the ball which was unheard of against top class opposition. On another night, we could have scored 6 or 7.

It was one of the all time great european performances and still my favourite game which I've attended

Unread 26-09-2022, 01:28 PM
AK14

Yeah that first 10 or so was something else

Remember my old man saying “Here we go again” and storming off

Unread 26-09-2022, 01:29 PM
wiganste

tbf, we were on the front foot from the start - just left ourselves open.

Neville was at fault for the opener and their 2nd was a fluke

Unread 26-09-2022, 01:34 PM
dunk

Loved Ronnie Johnsen, another one who we were robbed of by injuries.

Unread 26-09-2022, 01:51 PM
wiganste

He was brilliant - as steady as they come

Remember that @#%&! Michael Owen doing him at Old Trafford?

Unread 26-09-2022, 01:57 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
He was brilliant - as steady as they come

Remember that @#%&! Michael Owen doing him at Old Trafford?
Awful little shit. Don’t think he ever got properly going after that did he?

Unread 26-09-2022, 03:01 PM
Mr_Ed

Remember thinking on the night that, even at 2-0, down we were playing really well and weren’t out of it.

Unread 26-09-2022, 04:28 PM
RedNick80

RIP Rod Hull -that was this game wasn't it?

Pretty sure I've never gooned as much before or since. Apart from the final obvs... and 2008, and maybe Liverpool the other week. Probably 1991 ECWC Final too, but other than that.

Unread 26-09-2022, 04:29 PM
Switching Off

Dont think I ever thought we'd lose that season. Even at 90 minutes in the final I was zen as £#%&!.

Unread 26-09-2022, 04:36 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNick80
RIP Rod Hull -that was this game wasn't it?

Pretty sure I've never gooned as much before or since. Apart from the final obvs... and 2008, and maybe Liverpool the other week. Probably 1991 ECWC Final too, but other than that.
Nah, Inter in the Quarters.

Unread 26-09-2022, 04:41 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Dont think I ever thought we'd lose that season. Even at 90 minutes in the final I was zen as f***.
Same as, never been there before or since, you just knew they would come through regardless. Greatest team of all time.

Unread 26-09-2022, 06:05 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

I was 20 and a group of us flew out to Milan the night before the game. Never been so pissed in my life and woke up with the hangover from hell!
In the morning we hired a mini bus and a mate of mine volunteered to drive as he was rough from the night before. Great we thought. How wrong we were! Never been so frightened in my life! He had never driven on the 'wrong' side of the road before and we must've had at least 3 near death experiences before we got out of Milan.
These were the days of maps and one of the lads designates himself as chief map reader. We ended up in Bologna.
Not to worry we still had plenty of time left so we decide to have a few scoops before we hit the road.
Our designated driver now decides he actually fancies a drink or two after all and proceeds to get pissed. We were all bladdered and in no fit state to drive but the driver insists he'll be fine to drive. Another 10 near death experiences saw us get to Turin about 30mins before kick off.
As we get to the stadium we got legged off a group of about 50 ultras and when we finally got inside we were 2-0 down.
My abiding memory of the game was breaking off and throwing those shitty plastic seats over the devide all game.
When the 3rd went in I had never experienced a goon I'm my life like it.
£#%&!ing magic!
We were kept inside for about an hour after the game and made it back to Milan around 3am to party the night away. The day after we made it back to the airport with massive hangovers but we didn't give a shit.
Full speed ahead Barcelona

Unread 26-09-2022, 06:17 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
I was 20 and a group of us flew out to Milan the night before the game. Never been so pissed in my life and woke up with the hangover from hell!
In the morning we hired a mini bus and a mate of mine volunteered to drive as he was rough from the night before. Great we thought. How wrong we were! Never been so frightened in my life! He had never driven on the 'wrong' side of the road before and we must've had at least 3 near death experiences before we got out of Milan.
These were the days of maps and one of the lads designates himself as chief map reader. We ended up in Bologna.
Not to worry we still had plenty of time left so we decide to have a few scoops before we hit the road.
Our designated driver now decides he actually fancies a drink or two after all and proceeds to get pissed. We were all bladdered and in no fit state to drive but the driver insists he'll be fine to drive. Another 10 near death experiences saw us get to Turin about 30mins before kick off.
As we get to the stadium we got legged off a group of about 50 ultras and when we finally got inside we were 2-0 down.
My abiding memory of the game was breaking off and throwing those shitty plastic seats over the devide all game.
£#%&!ing magic!
We were kept inside for about an hour after the game and made it back to Milan around 3am to party the night away. The day after we made it back to the airport with massive hangovers but we didn't give a shit.
Not reading all that

I can’t watch that game - it brings back the memories of how good we were

And the atmosphere both in that game and around us at that time won’t be matched

Depressing but at the same time, we were lucky to be part of it all

Did we play Leeds away after it?

I am sure we did - as I went and remembered lads who went telling us the story on the coach

I hope it was or I am losing my mind

Unread 26-09-2022, 06:24 PM
tatty

There hadn’t been a season before, or one since, where we looked beat but won so many times.

Unread 26-09-2022, 06:25 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
f***ing magic!
Top away. The one time our away lot actually got organised to hire a van, German game, the nitwit who was driving filled a diesel with petrol and we got stranded in the middle of nowhere and missed the game. Strictley public transport after that meltdown.

Unread 26-09-2022, 06:27 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
Did we play Leeds away after it?
We did. I went with a couple of lads who'd been to Turin who hadn't made it into the match. They had a lovely few nights in Milan though.

One of them went to the final, fell asleep in a bar and never saw the match.
Closed Thread