United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-08-2022, 07:12 PM
AK14

Default “We have a good squad”

Not a dig at ETH (what else can he say?) but I find it interesting that the clubs social media account has picked up on it and are posting about it…

Of all the things he said this is one of a few snippets they’ve gone with…

We’ve been here many times before under this ownership and would anyone be at all surprised if our business is done for the summer?

Unread 05-08-2022, 07:14 PM
dunk

The sort of thing Ole got savaged for all the way through his tenure. He can’t possibly say anything else; he has to keep the players onside, not make the club out to be desperate for any deals they’re trying to do and keep his bosses sweet.

Unread 05-08-2022, 07:18 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
The sort of thing Ole got savaged for all the way through his tenure. He can’t possibly say anything else; he has to keep the players onside, not make the club out to be desperate for any deals they’re trying to do and keep his bosses sweet.
Agree.

But my post is as more about the clubs socials picking up on it. Of all the things he said they’ve picked up on that and a couple of other things to run with.

Kinda feels like they’re preparing fans for when we end the window with only the three signings we’ve made.

Unread 05-08-2022, 07:19 PM
dunk

Pay no attention to the halfwits on Twitter ffs.

Unread 05-08-2022, 07:19 PM
Bunker Buster

Wish he had said we need another 7 players and the squad is shite....

Then we could have dropped out of the top 4 with months to go, whilst having our worst points totally in history and a phone bill as long as your arm for texts to Moscow for in game analysis.....

Unread 05-08-2022, 07:20 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Pay no attention to the halfwits on Twitter ffs.

This guy…

Unread 05-08-2022, 07:25 PM
20LEgend1999

While I'd love to see us sign a few more players, I am interested to see what Erik can get out of this squad in it's current state. During the course of the last season perception completely changed, so I do wonder what level some of these player are really at.

Similar to when Van Gaal had to play random players from the under23s because the squad had been left short, I'd much rather see us looking towards Garner, Iqbal and Garnacho from the bench than Matic, Mata and Cavani. Not that it went that well last time, but if we're in a similar situation by the end of the window, I will be looking forward to see what these players who wouldn't otherwise have got a chance are capable of. It might be a disaster, but it will be less dull than last season I reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
But my post is as more about the clubs socials picking up on it. Of all the things he said they’ve picked up on that and a couple of other things to run with.
Unless I'm misremembering, wasn't every other question about Ronaldo undermining him? Not sure there was a great deal to choose from other than him getting all flustered at the mention of Frenkie's name. Ideally, they'd have just tweeted this:

[SIZE="1"]Credit: MUTV / Soccerholic 107

Unread 05-08-2022, 07:26 PM
dunk

Quote:

This guy…
If it’s not a journo, I’m laughing at it, and most of those I’m laughing at tbf.

Unread 05-08-2022, 07:30 PM
Blomq15

They’re still in repair mode from the number Rangnick did on the club. Still can’t believe that guy.

AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
While I'd love to see us sign a few more players, I am interested to see what Erik can get out of this squad in it's current state. During the course of the last season perception completely changed, so I do wonder what level some of these player are really at.

Similar to when Van Gaal had to play random players from the under23s because the squad had been left short, I'd much rather see us looking towards Garner, Iqbal and Garnacho from the bench than Matic, Mata and Cavani. Not that it went that well last time, but if we're in a similar situation by the end of the window, I will be looking forward to see what these players who wouldn't otherwise have got a chance are capable of. It might be a disaster, but it will be less dull than last season I reckon.

Unless I'm misremembering, wasn't every other question about Ronaldo undermining him? Not sure there was a great deal to choose from. Ideally, they'd have just tweeted this:
Agree with that.

Mentioned previously I’d rather see the bench spots taken up by kids and as ETH said the players have to be the right type of player etc.

But this feels to me like the club is starting to realise that we’ll struggle to get any other deal over the line and is now in PR mode.

Could be wrong, most likely I am. But threads are conversation starters and I was bored

windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999

Unless I'm misremembering, wasn't every other question about Ronaldo undermining him? Not sure there was a great deal to choose from other than him getting all flustered at the mention of Frenkie's name. Ideally, they'd have just tweeted this:
At least give me credit for the gif, pal?

Unread 05-08-2022, 07:44 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Few dominoes waiting to fall here. Bernardo Silva wants out at City that's clear. Barca seemed a destination to replace FDJ but PSG now being talked up .. if FDJ ends up at Chelsea & BSilva to PSG then could do far worse than Jorginho + Wijnaldum to us .. two big upgrades on what we have in those positions at the minute ..

Unread 05-08-2022, 08:50 PM
dunk

Wijnaldum is going to Roma isn’t he?

Unread 05-08-2022, 09:23 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Agree.

Kinda feels like they’re preparing fans for when we end the window with only the three signings we’ve made.
Beats reading your shit and feeling suicidal because we haven't signed £500m worth of players and got rid of half the squad in one window.

He's got rid of those regarded as problems, the turds that can be flushed and has no doubt got a few on the list that he'll get rid of next summer, who he may feel fit his system.

Nobody wants Jones and other dross in the squad and we'll not get much for some of them given the wages they're on. He's also inherited an awkward Ronaldo situation with us failing to qualify for the Champions League - something we have Ralf to thank for. He'll chewed him out publicly (albeit indirectly) but will no doubt have spoken to the players in private. We're a million miles away from where we were four months ago, with far more positivity and a manager with a plan, ambition and a clear sense of who shouldn't be here.

Unread 05-08-2022, 09:28 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Beats reading your shit and feeling suicidal because we haven't signed £500m worth of players and got rid of half the squad in one window.

He's got rid of those regarded as problems, the turds that can be flushed and has no doubt got a few on the list that he'll get rid of next summer, who he may feel fit his system.

Nobody wants Jones and other dross in the squad and we'll not get much for some of them given the wages they're on. He's also inherited an awkward Ronaldo situation with us failing to qualify for the Champions League - something we have Ralf to thank for. He'll chewed him out publicly (albeit indirectly) but will no doubt have spoken to the players in private. We're a million miles away from where we were four months ago, with far more positivity and a manager with a plan, ambition and a clear sense of who shouldn't be here.
Yeah you’ve missed my point completely, well done.

Unread 05-08-2022, 09:31 PM
marlo

deceive yourself all you want.

the nucleus of our squad is the same. engine room still the same.

we will be in crisis mode 8 games in.

a ronaldo led team with Bruno just behind him will stink up the place.

regardless of ETH and his methods. mark my words.

Unread 05-08-2022, 09:38 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury

Ralf took over a team in relegation form half way through a season ffs.

No blame on the guy who had been manager for 3 years and spent the thick end of £500m?

Unread 05-08-2022, 09:42 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Ralf took over a team in relegation form half way through a season ffs.

No blame on the guy who had been manager for 3 years and spent the thick end of £500m?
Honestly, Big Sam would've done a better job than Ralf.

Unread 05-08-2022, 09:43 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Honestly, Big Sam would've done a better job than Ralf.
Yeah sure. And Ole.

Unread 05-08-2022, 09:45 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Yeah sure. And Ole.
Ole did the original job he was brought in for brilliantly. The issue was him being given the permanent job.

It's not his fault that he believed he could do the job. It was the fault of the people hiring him.
Closed Thread