United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 28-05-2022, 11:12 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
He should be jumping at the chance. Barca don't seem to care much and this bizarre need for CL football I just don't get.

Hopefully Erik is selling him the dream. Could be the key to success.
It’s hardly a bizarre need. Players want to play at the highest level.

Barca accepting a bid and him knowing that will surely work in our favour though. If ETH can’t talk him round then nobody will.

What an immense signing he’d be if we could pull it off. Absolutely perfect for us

Unread 28-05-2022, 11:15 AM
Jethro

European football is European football just with different theme songs

The value of the CL has dropped dramatically since the super proposals imo.

Unread 28-05-2022, 11:25 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
European football is European football just with different theme songs

The value of the CL has dropped dramatically since the super proposals imo.
You’re surely on a wum 😂

Unread 28-05-2022, 02:00 PM
shenwen

I agree with Jethro. I find it odd when players say they want CL football. It's a couple of high profile games a season at best for most teams. Yeah we'd all like to play in and win the CL final but it's a bit of a long shot.

Go to United. Playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world in what is right now the best league in the world (tm) whole getting 200k a week is surely a bigger deal? And we've still got JLingz for a couple more weeks

Unread 28-05-2022, 02:02 PM
Dr Stranger

This feels a little we’re giving the champions league the ‘she wasn’t that fit anyway’ treatment.

Unread 28-05-2022, 02:04 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
This feels a little we’re giving the champions league the ‘she wasn’t that fit anyway’ treatment.
Not at all. It's still high profile for me. My point is very few players get to experience the ultimate high. Is going out in the quarters a dream for today's footballer? Especially one who has played in the competition many times?

Unread 28-05-2022, 02:08 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Not at all. It's still high profile for me. My point is very few players get to experience the ultimate high. Is going out in the quarters a dream for today's footballer? Especially one who has played in the competition many times?
I don’t think they think that far ahead. If they’re ambitious, they’ll be looking at playing with the best players under the best managers, at the highest level. I’m not sure they’re then gonna go “well, we might only get to the quarters” etc. They just want the chance to be there and perform.

Not being in the CL is a big handicap if you’re going for a top player. There’s no way of getting around that unfortunately.

Unread 28-05-2022, 02:12 PM
shenwen

Saying “I want to play for a better team than Man United” would be fair.

Saying “I want to play in the CL” isn’t. Can sign for Frankfurt and do that.

Unread 28-05-2022, 02:13 PM
Sparky***

“95% done”

We’ve called him and he told us no.

Unread 28-05-2022, 02:17 PM
tatty

Why do we persist in chasing players who don’t want to join.

At best we get a player who has accepted silly wages as consolation for signing for us.

Unread 28-05-2022, 02:50 PM
saffers

This isnt about champions league, this is about an underperforming team that has been out of title contention for 10 years. Our reputation has taken a hammering.

Catalan sources saying Ten Hag is working on convincing him.

This is what a real manager does. If he gets him in it will be massive. Think how we failed with targets like Haaland and Bellingham. This aint happening anymore. Id bet on us bringing De Jong in. To think we actually are going for a player of this quality is making me so excited. He would make a massive difference to us, think Carrick effect on acid.

Unread 28-05-2022, 03:04 PM
Joe Biden

Signing players who don't really don't want to be here. How's that worked out in the past?

Tell him to get £#%&!ed and move on. @#%&!s not even that good.

Unread 28-05-2022, 03:06 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
This isnt about champions league, this is about an underperforming team that has been out of title contention for 10 years. Our reputation has taken a hammering.

This.

It's not like we've not been able to attract decent players when not in the champions league. But as you say we haven't challenged for a title since De Jong was 15 years old, why is he going to be in a rush to sign for us.

Unread 28-05-2022, 03:16 PM
saffers

Im glad he has to be convinced.

It shouldnt be as simple as "Oh ten hag is here", let me join.

We have been an utter joke as a club for 10 years and theres no way that hasnt filtered down to other players. Its common knowledge we have had a clownish board, shit manager and toxic dressing room.

Id be suspicious of anyone who blindly joins us. We dont want money chasers anymore.

Unread 28-05-2022, 03:16 PM
Patty_b

Finished 2nd twice in the previous 4 seasons, Ronaldo chose us over anyone else last summer, brought in one of the most highly rated managers outside the Premier league.

But yeah, reputation in tatters

Unread 28-05-2022, 03:17 PM
Bunker Buster

Hes better than prime Carrick.....

Unread 28-05-2022, 03:17 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Finished 2nd twice in the previous 4 seasons, Ronaldo chose us over anyone else last summer, brought in one of the most highly rated managers outside the Premier league.

But yeah, reputation in tatters
Finished 2nd twice in 4 seasons, is that where we're at now? Is this what we are bigging up.

No wonder you were a huge ole cheerleader.

Standards on the floor.....

Unread 28-05-2022, 03:24 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Finished 2nd twice in 4 seasons, is that where we're at now? Is this what we are bigging up.

No wonder you were a huge ole cheerleader.

Standards on the floor.....
Nobody is bigging it up mate, but we haven’t turned into Burnley overnight. We’re still the biggest club in the world, we have the biggest player in the world, and we now have the best young manager in the world.

We’re going places, but no CL football is going to be a big hurdle to overcome this summer. The best players want to play in the best competitions, not just for football reasons but also commercial ones.

Unread 28-05-2022, 03:25 PM
Bunker Buster

It's really not a debate is it

Unread 28-05-2022, 03:40 PM
Joe Biden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Hes better than prime Carrick.....
He's isn't though.
Closed Thread