United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive
Reply
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 09:49 AM
Dasilvatwins
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Because managers have always had what they thought were 'better' players in his position.

Moyes and LVG had Wazza
Jose/Ole Pogba
Ole/Ragnick Bruno


All occupy that role.

Another reason why Pogba was an awful signing.
Iím all for pogba bashing as much as the next guy. But 90% of his time at United he played as a 6
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 09:51 AM
dunk
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Mata was wasted out on the wing for most of his time here. Why so many managers chose not to give him a run through the middle which allows him to have more space and opens up the pitch more is something that doesn't make sense to me. The only reason I can think of is they believed he was not good enough to be building a team around. Chelsea won a Champions League with him in the No 10 spot though. I think it was still worth a try at some point. Especially given how many high profile forwards were signed after him and flopped but he still contributed to the team.

He has excellent technique, his first touch is world class, he can pick a pass still, when he was younger he scored a lot of goals. He still had a fine career for United despite not being utilised properly and judging on last night he should have been used more this season.
Heís easy enough to snuff out for any half decent team when heís in the middle. He played there plenty of times and struggled for us.
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 09:57 AM
Dasilvatwins
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Heís easy enough to snuff out for any half decent team when heís in the middle. He played there plenty of times and struggled for us.
At any given time in the last 5-7 years we have had big gaps in positions . Donít think he had any good wingers to play with who help stretch the game.

Give him proper wingers and I think as a 10 he would be good.

Like most problems at the club it starts with having good players and they just done have enough
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 10:05 AM
dunk
 
Default

Possibly, but I was answering why he didnít play there that often.

We got the best out of him from the right, really.
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 10:11 AM
Dasilvatwins
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Possibly, but I was answering why he didnít play there that often.

We got the best out of him from the right, really.
Iím sure LVG had a tactic to push him wide, he cuts on his left and crosses for fellaini
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 10:14 AM
Lok
 
Default

Wasn't there plans for him to be involved in the coaching setup post retirement?

He's clearly a good player but not sure playing him more would have made much difference. Similar to Matic, he looks great in cameo roles but isn't going to pull up trees week in week out in the harshest league in the world.

Nice guy though.
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 10:23 AM
Whip Hubley
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Iím all for pogba bashing as much as the next guy. But 90% of his time at United he played as a 6
Not so much a Pogba bash that, more than the decision to buy him.


He was clearly a free role/attacking mid at Juve. He's been poor NQAT, but buying him as a 6 or to play in a midfield 2 was an awful idea.

But then he's also massively underwhelmed when he's played in his preferred position.


Anyway back to Mata - yeah, largely been a wasted talent. At least we had Juanfield.
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 10:25 AM
dunk
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Iím sure LVG had a tactic to push him wide, he cuts on his left and crosses for fellaini
Worked like a charm IIRC.

Ashley Young doing the same on the other side.
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 10:28 AM
Neo
 
Default

The Mata revision after a decent half in a dead rubber against Brentford.

Time and time again he has proven to be too weak, too slow, and too ineffectual for us, particularly in big games.

He's actually been a poor signing overall. First genuine player we signed in that continental number 10 mould, so came with high hopes, but he never really reached the standards he did for Chelsea.

Thanks for the Anfield bicycle kick, being a nice fella and the blogs, but adios amigo.

Hugs. x
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 10:35 AM
Dasilvatwins
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Not so much a Pogba bash that, more than the decision to buy him.


He was clearly a free role/attacking mid at Juve. He's been poor NQAT, but buying him as a 6 or to play in a midfield 2 was an awful idea.

But then he's also massively underwhelmed when he's played in his preferred position.


Anyway back to Mata - yeah, largely been a wasted talent. At least we had Juanfield.
Part of me always thought pogba would be a better 10 , but itís never his talent that lets him down. Itís his attitude and application and I donít think there is a position on the pitch whereby he can have his piss poor attitude and make a position his own.

Canít wait to see the p**** leave with lingard and other shitc***s. Martial is another. So many turds to flush
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 10:45 AM
dunk
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
The Mata revision after a decent half in a dead rubber against Brentford.

Time and time again he has proven to be too weak, too slow, and too ineffectual for us, particularly in big games.

He's actually been a poor signing overall. First genuine player we signed in that continental number 10 mould, so came with high hopes, but he never really reached the standards he did for Chelsea.

Thanks for the Anfield bicycle kick, being a nice fella and the blogs, but adios amigo.

Hugs. x
This is absolutely true and was obvious from about his third game for us. He was the second step along the way to where we are now. Standards dragged way the f*** down.

We miss big Felli far more than weíve ever missed Mata tbh.
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 12:38 PM
pedr0
 
Default

Crazy that Mata was only 25 when he signed for us. I thought he was about 30

Did well for us until mourinho came tbh. Agreed that he hasn't been able to cut it at the very highest level for some time.
But, for home games against lesser opposition where we have a lot of the ball against deep defences, we really should have used him more (and afforded Bruno more rest)
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 01:09 PM
ZiggyStardust
 
Default

Not sure how anyone can say Mata has been anything other than another failed signing
He was a British transfer record when we signed him and I can hardly remember a season were he made a big impact and produced impressive numbers in terms of goals and assists

A nice game here and there but that's about it
Most of his seasons at the club he hasn't been anywhere close to being an automatic first 11 player
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 01:10 PM
andyroo
 
Default

Was not so much a bad signing as a weird one. Not what we most needed at the time, never been since. Lovely fella and the goal at Anfield was a great moment. Wish him well except he'll probably go to Oviedo if they get promoted so...
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 01:17 PM
Baron
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Was not so much a bad signing as a weird one. Not what we most needed at the time, never been since. Lovely fella and the goal at Anfield was a great moment. Wish him well except he'll probably go to Oviedo if they get promoted so...
Classic Utd post Fergie. A good player, loads of good players, signed just not a Utd signing. Not full of pace, aggression & work rate - just a lovely footballer.

All of our next set of signings need to be fast as f***, can run all day & be a c***. We need a team full of rage that hate to f***ing lose - Mata strikes me as far too rounded and intelligent to give a shit about the circus & therefore is off trying to save the world with his wage sacrifice program etc.

Same is likely true of Rashford, talent will take you so far. You need to be a bit thick & bloody minded to be a great footballer imo.
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 01:19 PM
Patty_b
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Was not so much a bad signing as a weird one. Not what we most needed at the time, never been since. Lovely fella and the goal at Anfield was a great moment. Wish him well except he'll probably go to Oviedo if they get promoted so...
It was a panic signing, we were shit and a manager the club put on a 6 year contract about six months earlier was under pressure because everyone hated him and he was useless. Club got a sniff that Mata was available and hoped it would make everything better. 7.5 years later and we're still shit.

He played well for a bit under LVG though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Not sure how anyone can say Mata has been anything other than another failed signing
He was a British transfer record when we signed him and I can hardly remember a season were he made a big impact and produced impressive numbers in terms of goals and assists

A nice game here and there but that's about it
Most of his seasons at the club he hasn't been anywhere close to being an automatic first 11 player
Forgot about that. f***ing hell
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 02:40 PM
Buck
 
Default

For the record he was not a British transfer record when we signed him. He was the club's record signing at £37.5M in January 2014. The British transfer record was still held by Fernando Torres when he moved to Chelsea in January 2011 for £50M. Angel Di Maria eclipsed both of those records when we bought him for £60M in August 2014.
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 03:08 PM
NedKelly
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
For the record he was not a British transfer record when we signed him. He was the club's record signing at £37.5M in January 2014. The British transfer record was still held by Fernando Torres when he moved to Chelsea in January 2011 for £50M. Angel Di Maria eclipsed both of those records when we bought him for £60M in August 2014.
Thanks for reminding me of the twig with jug ears attached. God weíve signed so many hateful players in the last decade.
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 03:47 PM
92ToBury
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Was not so much a bad signing as a weird one. Not what we most needed at the time, never been since. Lovely fella and the goal at Anfield was a great moment. Wish him well except he'll probably go to Oviedo if they get promoted so...
Sounds like the last decade of our transfer history in its entirety.
 
Unread 03-05-2022, 04:07 PM
Joe Biden
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Same is likely true of Rashford, talent will take you so far. You need to be a bit thick & bloody minded to be a great footballer imo.
Yeah I don't think the main problem with the guy who co created "Beanz Beanz Beanz" is his ultra high intelligence.
Reply
Thread Tools
Similar Threads for: Manchester United V Brentford. 8pm Sky Sports : Official Match Thread ..
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brentford v Manchester United : Official Match Thread : 19/1/2022 8pm 92ToBury Football 412 20-01-2022 05:01 PM
Man Utd v Man City Official Match Thread. 8pm Sky Sports puressence Manchester United Match Thread Archive 553 25-04-2019 06:46 PM
Official Match Thread .. Arsenal V Man Utd 4pm Sky Sports 1 puressence Manchester United Match Thread Archive 702 09-05-2017 04:58 PM
Official Match Thread ... Man Utd V Liverpool. Sky sports 4 pm puressence Manchester United Match Thread Archive 892 17-01-2017 07:18 PM
Official Match Thread ..Man Utd V Hull 8pm Sky Sports puressence Manchester United Match Thread Archive 367 11-01-2017 10:06 PM
All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Copyright ©2006 - 2022 utdforum.com. This site is in no way affiliated to Manchester United Football Club.