United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 31-12-2021, 11:16 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
I cringe when I see Jota

By all accounts a hard working, respectful bloke who could sort his own admin out. Fantastic player too.

We should have been all over him.
You just know he’d have been shite for us though. Our problems seem to run even deeper than the recruitment. Hardly anybody we’ve signed over the last decade (bloody near) has improved or even sustained previous form after joining us.

Unread 31-12-2021, 11:29 AM
Denis Irwell

Clearly, yet another signed over the managers head but there are still those who think consecutive managers are signing players and renewing contracts and then deciding they don’t want to play them after all, just days/weeks later.

Unread 31-12-2021, 12:13 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Very odd. The club are a f***ing shambles. The amount of money we’ve wasted over the years is ridiculous. Liverpool and City seem to nail every signing, not only have we been left behind on the pitch but the two of them have completely left us behind off the pitch.
City nail every signing? They sign loads of 50m players that don’t work out. Difference is they then keep signing more 50m players in that position until one eventually does.

Unread 31-12-2021, 12:32 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
Very odd. The club are a £#%&!ing shambles. The amount of money we’ve wasted over the years is ridiculous. Liverpool and City seem to nail every signing, not only have we been left behind on the pitch but the two of them have completely left us behind off the pitch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
City nail every signing? They sign loads of 50m players that don’t work out. Difference is they then keep signing more 50m players in that position until one eventually does.
Precisely. Let's not pretend that every player City sign turns into a world beater just because it suits a narrative.

they signed some truly top players under previous managers that Guardiola has benefitted from in his time there. But they have also signed some that have been moved on within a couple of years who they bought for big money.

How many 50 million quid plus defenders has Guardiola bought in his 5 years in charge?

Six. John Stones, Kyle Walker, Mendy, Laporte, Cancelo, Dias. That's £330 million quids worth of defenders in the last 5 years alone. That's just the ones he paid over 50 million quid for by the way. I've not even included the likes of nathan ake who cost 40 and Danilo who cost 30 million.

That's the difference. Not how many world record players you buy, it's the constant high levels of investment year on year and the ability to just write off bad signings and go again because there's no financial consequences. He bought one goalkeeper Bravo for 20 million quid, didn't like him so then just bought a 40 million quid one Ederson a year later.

We've got a couple of bargain basement replacement fullbacks in Telles and Dalot who cost about 30 million combined. Imagine if we'd have been able to spend 500 million quid on midfielders in the last 5 years what our team might look like?

Unread 31-12-2021, 01:01 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Precisely. Let's not pretend that every player City sign turns into a world beater just because it suits a narrative.

they signed some truly top players under previous managers that Guardiola has benefitted from in his time there. But they have also signed some that have been moved on within a couple of years who they bought for big money.

How many 50 million quid plus defenders has Guardiola bought in his 5 years in charge?

Six. John Stones, Kyle Walker, Mendy, Laporte, Cancelo, Dias. That's £330 million quids worth of defenders in the last 5 years alone. That's just the ones he paid over 50 million quid for by the way. I've not even included the likes of nathan ake who cost 40 and Danilo who cost 30 million.

That's the difference. Not how many world record players you buy, it's the constant high levels of investment year on year and the ability to just write off bad signings and go again because there's no financial consequences. He bought one goalkeeper Bravo for 20 million quid, didn't like him so then just bought a 40 million quid one Ederson a year later.

We've got a couple of bargain basement replacement fullbacks in Telles and Dalot who cost about 30 million combined. Imagine if we'd have been able to spend 500 million quid on midfielders in the last 5 years what our team might look like?
Genuinely, £#%&! knows with our hierarchy.

Unread 31-12-2021, 01:06 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Genuinely, £#%&! knows with our hierarchy.
we’d have Perisic, Willian, Vidal, Ramos, Kane and still no midfielders.

Unread 31-12-2021, 08:28 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Kagawa, Mkhitaryan, Van De Beek.
Kagawa had a few good games at least.

Unread 31-12-2021, 11:53 PM
guerreiro

Bunks is not even defending him now. Totally gone

Unread 14-01-2022, 10:47 AM
dunk

Quote:
Manchester United have offered Netherlands midfielder Donny van de Beek, 24, to Newcastle United and Borussia Dortmund. (Manchester Evening News)
If we sold him and Henderson we might be able to get ourselves a borrow of an actual midfielder.

Unread 14-01-2022, 10:48 AM
armchair

Starts Saturday.

Unread 14-01-2022, 10:50 AM
dunk

Quote:
Starts Saturday.
Need to give him at least a 5 games starting stretch at some point before binning him imo.

I’m sure Souness thought the same of Ali Dia too though.

Unread 14-01-2022, 11:28 AM
Sharders

Quote:
Starts Saturday.
Hope so. Great player. He must be doing something wrong in training. Definitely lacking confidence or teamwork or something. Play him and give him time.

Unread 14-01-2022, 11:42 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

If, by this stage, the lad isn't agitating for a move himself he must have just given up on football altogether. You would think that any committed pro would be kicking the manager's door down in a use me or lose me!!! fit of frustration.

Unread 14-01-2022, 12:07 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
If, by this stage, the lad isn't agitating for a move himself he must have just given up on football altogether. You would think that any committed pro would be kicking the manager's door down in a use me or lose me!!! fit of frustration.
Unless there's no clubs actually in for him because he's not that good..
[SIZE="1"]bunker baiter

Unread 14-01-2022, 12:41 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Unless there's no clubs actually in for him because he's not that good..
[SIZE="1"]bunker baiter
Shirley Ajax, they loved him there.

Unread 14-01-2022, 04:35 PM
goldfinger II

I think the problem is that though nominally, he is a "midfielder," he seems to do his best work in and around the opposition's box. His awareness and composure in those areas seems to be very good. He wants to be up there all the time, I reckon.

Though decent at everything, and willing, he is not a real midfielder in that he doesn't have the ability to screen the back four or face the play and distribute the ball effectively. I would have liked to have seen him given a run in one of the two midfield positions just to see if he could be useful there. I suspect we didn't see that because the manager had come to the conclusion early on that he couldn't play in one of those positions effectively, and so there was no point trying it. Who knows?

He seems a good sort and would probably be very good in a Lampard-like position in a midfield three, but we don't play that formation. Maybe playing as one of the advanced midfielders in a 4-2-2-2 formation would suit him, if we were to go back to that.

It was bad move for him and us. Absolutely reeks of Woodward.

Unread 14-01-2022, 04:42 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
I think the problem is that though nominally, he is a "midfielder," he seems to do his best work in and around the opposition's box. His awareness and composure in those areas seems to be very good. He wants to be up there all the time, I reckon.

Though decent at everything, and willing, he is not a real midfielder in that he doesn't have the ability to screen the back four or face the play and distribute the ball effectively. I would have liked to have seen him given a run in one of the two midfield positions just to see if he could be useful there. I suspect we didn't see that because the manager had come to the conclusion early on that he couldn't play in one of those positions effectively, and so there was no point trying it. Who knows?

He seems a good sort and would probably be very good in a Lampard-like position in a midfield three, but we don't play that formation. Maybe playing as one of the advanced midfielders in a 4-2-2-2 formation would suit him, if we were to go back to that.

It was bad move for him and us. Absolutely reeks of Woodward.

It’s the only transfer we have had that happened a bit quick at out of the blue. There were no rumours or anything beforehand . Ajax probably offered him to Woodward and he accepted

Unread 16-01-2022, 09:18 AM
AK14

Unread 16-01-2022, 09:32 AM
Sapien

And a century of minutes

Unread 16-01-2022, 09:35 AM
Coracao

I find the people who run Utd's social media channels incredible