United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-01-2022, 11:42 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Well that makes sense…

I’m sure you’d take us finishing 2nd like we did under Mou come the end of the season yeah?

Makes no sense. Just waffle

Facts are Ole is one of the reasons we’re in the mess we find ourselves in.
Finished 2nd last season pal. 7 months ago.

Unread 13-01-2022, 11:47 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Disagree nearly entirely with this. The end of his reign was depressing and he 'lost' the dressing room ( ) but the vast, vast majority of people were praising what he had done with the squad.

Most of the players aren't fit to lace ronnies boots but it's not a stretch of the imagination to say it was an awful signing. He's simply not young enough to drag us up by our boot straps, so all that's happened is he's been frustrated with the rest of the players and they've had their nose put out of joint by him coming in.

We're an absolute £#%&!ing mess but I wouldn't even blame Jose for where we're at. This is completely down to the total lack of direction and coherent strategy from above.

Ed £#%&!ing Woodward.
Bang on. Though part of me thinks/fears Woodward was a patsy himself, and his departure isn’t the signal of change we think it is. All good and well saying we’re “restructuring” the club etc., but that’s been the official line for several years now and it still seems to be in utter disrepair.

Moyes - LVG - Mourinho - Ole

Four managers who couldn’t be more different from one another in terms of approach to the game and the football deployed under them. We’ve had no sense of direction for a decade. Harsh to blame Ole when, by and large, he did a good job and had he only stayed as a caretaker, we’d be saying he did a phenomenal job. All of our managers have said the same things about the structure at the club, barring Ole but that’s because he actually loves us I think - you can say it’s sour grapes when it’s just one or two but three on the trot?

Unread 13-01-2022, 11:49 AM
AK14

Quote:
Disagree nearly entirely with this. The end of his reign was depressing and he 'lost' the dressing room ( ) but the vast, vast majority of people were praising what he had done with the squad.

Most of the players aren't fit to lace ronnies boots but it's not a stretch of the imagination to say it was an awful signing. He's simply not young enough to drag us up by our boot straps, so all that's happened is he's been frustrated with the rest of the players and they've had their nose put out of joint by him coming in.

We're an absolute £#%&!ing mess but I wouldn't even blame Jose for where we're at. This is completely down to the total lack of direction and coherent strategy from above.

Ed £#%&!ing Woodward.
Woodward has £#%&!ed it more than anyone (apart from the owners obvs) I’ll give you that (you’re preaching to the choir on that) but Van Gaal, Mou and Ole have all played some part in their downfall and how they left the squads. (Moyes can get £#%&!ed)

Ole made a pigs ear of the europa final, win that and perhaps it’s a different story. But he made mistakes which I’m sure even he’d admit. I’m sure the way he handled certain players and their egos has also led to us having a squad full of spoilt pampered @#%&!s.

But yeah I agree the direction of the club and people making the decisions are the biggest factor in where we’re at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Finished 2nd last season pal. 7 months ago.
Riiiiiight.

Missing the point on purpose I seezzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Good day.

Unread 13-01-2022, 11:53 AM
dunk

You had no point

Unread 13-01-2022, 11:53 AM
AK14

Neither did you

Unread 13-01-2022, 11:55 AM
dunk

Quote:
Neither did you
You dismissed being 1st in Jan, I was merely pointing out you’d be happy with it now.

Unread 13-01-2022, 12:00 PM
AK14

Quote:
You dismissed being 1st in Jan, I was merely pointing out you’d be happy with it now.
Pointless discussing anything with you.

Pedantic pumpkin headed @#%&!.

Unread 13-01-2022, 12:06 PM
92ToBury

Quote:

Ed £#%&!ing Woodward.
Ronaldo - his truth bombs clearly hurt some of the little lambs in the dressing room who are shocked, like most youngsters these days, that you cannot just coast to success and a good living. While he's not the Ronaldo who left, he's still capable of scoring 40 goals a season with anything like decent service. Sadly nobody can disprove that with the current service our strike force receives.

Who looked after football strategy before Fergie left? Fergie.
What changed? Moyes was incompetent or Woodward was a power-crazed megalomaniac? Or a bit of both? Sadly we won't know, but I and many others have always wanted to see Woodward thrive commercially and leave the footballing side to the manager. It's just felt like we've been following tactical rather than strategic thinking on the football side. They've all had money to spend and failed in different measures - lack of trophies, paying too much for the wrong players, putting players on undeserved contracts, failing to flush turds, etc.

Unread 13-01-2022, 12:24 PM
dunk

Thumbs up

Quote:
Pointless discussing anything with you.

Pedantic pumpkin headed @#%&!.
That’s the spirit. What a lovely chap you are.

Unread 13-01-2022, 12:26 PM
AK14

Quote:
That’s the spirit. What a lovely chap you are.
Complete overreaction…

Apologies.

Unread 13-01-2022, 12:35 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Bang on. Though part of me thinks/fears Woodward was a patsy himself, and his departure isn’t the signal of change we think it is. All good and well saying we’re “restructuring” the club etc., but that’s been the official line for several years now and it still seems to be in utter disrepair.

Moyes - LVG - Mourinho - Ole

Four managers who couldn’t be more different from one another in terms of approach to the game and the football deployed under them. We’ve had no sense of direction for a decade. Harsh to blame Ole when, by and large, he did a good job and had he only stayed as a caretaker, we’d be saying he did a phenomenal job. All of our managers have said the same things about the structure at the club, barring Ole but that’s because he actually loves us I think - you can say it’s sour grapes when it’s just one or two but three on the trot?

Completely agree. Yes, as AKers says, all previous managers are in some way responsible for where we're at, but 4 totally different managers with varying approaches, experience and success have all basically utterly failed to get us anywhere close to where we should be. An FA Cup under LVG. 2nd place and a europa trophy under Jose. 2nd place and a europa final under ole. £500m (?) spent.

Common denominator?

Unread 13-01-2022, 12:40 PM
Dr Stranger

The longer we’re shit, the more empathy I have for all our managers.

In 2014 I thought all of our failings were entirely down to David Moyes. In 2021 I think Ralf Rangnick isn’t even slightly part of the problem.

The club is the common denominator. We’re like some awful slag and keeps getting left by men, because she’s an awful slag, complaining that there’s ‘no good men out there’.

Unread 13-01-2022, 12:40 PM
AK14

Quote:
Completely agree. Yes, as AKers says, all previous managers are in some way responsible for where we're at, but 4 totally different managers with varying approaches, experience and success have all basically utterly failed to get us anywhere close to where we should be. An FA Cup under LVG. 2nd place and a europa trophy under Jose. 2nd place and a europa final under ole. £500m (?) spent.

Common denominator?

Just hope it’s right that Arnold wants footballing people making important decisions, or what ever it was he supposedly said.

Also Jose won a league cup and reached an FA Cup final too

Unread 13-01-2022, 12:43 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Just hope it’s right that Arnold wants footballing people making important decisions, or what ever it was he supposedly said.

Also Jose won a league cup and reached an FA Cup final too

He did, but his football was as bad as, if not worse than LVG's. Ole's was shit by the end of course but by provided by far the most entertainment and joy out of the 3, for me at least. And I speak as someone who was at all 3 finals Jose got us to.

Unread 13-01-2022, 12:47 PM
AK14

Quote:
He did, but his football was as bad as, if not worse than LVG's. Ole's was shit by the end of course but by provided by far the most entertainment and joy out of the 3, for me at least. And I speak as someone who was at all 3 finals Jose got us to.
Fair.

Although Van Gaal’ bore fest was the worst for me

None of it has been consistently good to watch though. It would be nice to enjoy watching football again.

Unread 13-01-2022, 12:54 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Fair.

Although Van Gaal’ bore fest was the worst for me

None of it has been consistently good to watch though. It would be nice to enjoy watching football again.
Problem is, especially as United fans, enjoying football is also linked to winning.

It’s easy to say ‘I just want us to play entertaining football’ but it rarely results in finishing seventh. We want entertaining football that works.

I honestly think Ole produced as entertaining football you could expect from a team that wasn’t anywhere near good enough to compete at the top. We scored lots, we conceded lots.

Ask anyone what their favourite spells under all the managers were and they’ll cite ones where we played well AND won.

Not many people’s favourite moments from last season were 3-3 against Everton, 2-4 at home to Liverpool, 2-2 at Leicester, 3-2 at Liepzig. They were all very entertaining and we scored some good goals in all of them.

Unread 13-01-2022, 01:02 PM
92ToBury

At least with LVG, towards the end, we could see that the players were adapting to the system. If we'd had a couple more seasons of him, then there no doubt would have been further improvement but he got Woodied.

Unread 13-01-2022, 01:12 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
At least with LVG, towards the end, we could see that the players were adapting to the system. If we'd had a couple more seasons of him, then there no doubt would have been further improvement but he got Woodied.
I’m not sure about that. There were spells mid season when we looked more adapted, but we were a mess by the end. That defeat at West Ham was shambolic and we were utterly dreadful in the cup final. Saved by a deflection and a worldie. Slightly better opposition and we’d have lost.

Unread 13-01-2022, 01:13 PM
windy waffles

Should have stuck with Moyes in hindsight...

Unread 13-01-2022, 01:15 PM
AK14

Wasn’t VG stepping down after the 2016 season with Giggs in as permanent?
Closed Thread