United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 14-02-2021, 11:57 PM
Jack Duckworth

sell the sullen @#%&!. he's a waste of a shirt and never looks arsed.

Unread 14-02-2021, 11:58 PM
tatty

I agree his time looks up.

Unread 15-02-2021, 12:00 AM
wiganste

Sick of him now. Needs to leave - he’s never coming good for us again

Unread 15-02-2021, 12:20 AM
red in cumbria

In retrospect, getting so upset about his shirt number was a red flag big enough to fill OT

Unread 15-02-2021, 02:55 PM
utd99

If Martial was the answer to anything he would have been the answer by now.

Unread 15-02-2021, 03:05 PM
Dr Stranger

I actually thought he’d turn up yesterday. He didn’t.

I also thought he would turn up after a slow start to the season. He hasn’t.

After a good end to last year, this season really was his chance to nail down that No 9 spot and he’s gone backwards.

It’s the same issues resurfacing again and again. He’s not a kid anymore and some of the issues are so fundamental (work rate, desire to get into the right areas) that it’s hard to see how the penny will ever drop..

Ole has mentioned in countless interviews how he needs to get into the right areas, score the scruffy goals etc, so he must be tearing his hair out as he reverts to type time and again.

It’s all well and good saying he’s a confidence player and all strikers are to a degree, but he’s to the extreme: play well when he’s confident 30% of the time, do £#%&! all 70% of the time when his head is down.

That is simply not someone who can relied upon as first choice.

Generally, I’m a fan and I’ve defended him, but it is what it is right now and he’s simply not doing anywhere near enough and shouldn’t be near the starting 11. Cavani has rightly taken his number 9 spot, rashford is better on the left and Greenwood is better on the right. The likes of VDB and Mata deserve chances ahead of him atm.

It’s exhausting seeing the same long standing culprits make the same mistakes, only for them to be picked again the following week (Lindelof, DDG to name another two)

He needs to work his way back in with cameos like that Southampton game. That was more like what we expect of him and then he couldn’t follow it up.

Really really disappointing and the lack of goals across the whole frontline is badly hurting us atm.

Unread 15-02-2021, 07:23 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I actually thought he’d turn up yesterday. He didn’t.

I also thought he would turn up after a slow start to the season. He hasn’t.

After a good end to last year, this season really was his chance to nail down that No 9 spot and he’s gone backwards.

It’s the same issues resurfacing again and again. He’s not a kid anymore and some of the issues are so fundamental (work rate, desire to get into the right areas) that it’s hard to see how the penny will ever drop..

Ole has mentioned in countless interviews how he needs to get into the right areas, score the scruffy goals etc, so he must be tearing his hair out as he reverts to type time and again.

It’s all well and good saying he’s a confidence player and all strikers are to a degree, but he’s to the extreme: play well when he’s confident 30% of the time, do £#%&! all 70% of the time when his head is down.

That is simply not someone who can relied upon as first choice.

Generally, I’m a fan and I’ve defended him, but it is what it is right now and he’s simply not doing anywhere near enough and shouldn’t be near the starting 11. Cavani has rightly taken his number 9 spot, rashford is better on the left and Greenwood is better on the right. The likes of VDB and Mata deserve chances ahead of him atm.

It’s exhausting seeing the same long standing culprits make the same mistakes, only for them to be picked again the following week (Lindelof, DDG to name another two)

He needs to work his way back in with cameos like that Southampton game. That was more like what we expect of him and then he couldn’t follow it up.

Really really disappointing and the lack of goals across the whole frontline is badly hurting us atm.

The year is 2030 and many football supporters are asking the big question .

Could this be the year that promising young teenager Anthony Martial finally comes of age ?

Unread 22-02-2021, 08:36 AM
shenwen

Hard to even muster some anger at Martial any more. Took 60 minute last night for him to make his first and only meaningful contribution

Can't remember too many players who have been this bad for this long and yet still getting games.

Cavani and Mason over him every time until we sell him in the summer.

Unread 22-02-2021, 09:16 AM
Vedder

It’s like playing with 10 men. No effort, miserable @#%&!. PSG

Unread 22-02-2021, 09:38 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
It’s like playing with 10 men. No effort, miserable @#%&!. PSG
I can imagine Neymar absolutely ruining him.

Surely he can’t be happy? At what point does he decide he’s earned enough to play for Lille?

Needs the easy life.

Unread 22-02-2021, 09:40 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Hard to even muster some anger at Martial any more. Took 60 minute last night for him to make his first and only meaningful contribution

Can't remember too many players who have been this bad for this long and yet still getting games.

Cavani and Mason over him every time until we sell him in the summer.
Yep needs benching. Why Ole persists with him in the middle and Rashford wide left baffles me.

Get Mason, Cavani or Rashford in the striker slot and get Martial benched.

Unread 22-02-2021, 09:59 AM
Patty_b

I've never seen a player who possesses the ability he has (at times) be so shockingly bad at controlling the ball with his back to goal. It either bounced off him or just completely went through him last night.

Even though he didn't seem bothered about getting into the box or trying to beat a man, if he was able to do the absolute basics of holding up a ball then he would have at least offered something. As it was he offered practically nothing.

I really want him to suddenly hit the form he is capable of at some point, this season but we're 5 months in now and and he's as bad as ever

Unread 22-02-2021, 10:02 AM
AK14

I’d rather James and Mata get games over him

Use martial as cover for Rashford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
I've never seen a player who possesses the ability he has (at times) be so shockingly bad at controlling the ball with his back to goal. It either bounced off him or just completely went through him last night.

Even though he didn't seem bothered about getting into the box or trying to beat a man, if he was able to do the absolute basics of holding up a ball then he would have at least offered something. As it was he offered practically nothing.

I really want him to suddenly hit the form he is capable of at some point, this season but we're 5 months in now and and he's as bad as ever
I think he will eventually like he always does and finish with around 15 goals but this can’t keep happening if we want to challenge for the big trophies.

He needs replacing in the summer but I think we’ll still be saying the same things this time next year.

Unread 22-02-2021, 10:27 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
I’d rather James and Mata get games over him

Use martial as cover for Rashford.

I think he will eventually like he always does and finish with around 15 goals but this can’t keep happening if we want to challenge for the big trophies.

He needs replacing in the summer but I think we’ll still be saying the same things this time next year.
I’m not so sure. Ole’s record in selling or farming out the useless @#%&!s is pretty good. Hopefully this was Martial’s make or break season for the manager.

There’s just no will to get better. Look at Mason. Can already see how he’s developing. Can clearly see the influence of Cavani. Even James - with a fraction of Martial’s natural ability - is at least working his arse off when he gets a game. Where has Martial improved in past couple of seasons?

Unread 22-02-2021, 11:33 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
I’m not so sure. Ole’s record in selling or farming out the useless @#%&!s is pretty good. Hopefully this was Martial’s make or break season for the manager.

There’s just no will to get better. Look at Mason. Can already see how he’s developing. Can clearly see the influence of Cavani. Even James - with a fraction of Martial’s natural ability - is at least working his arse off when he gets a game. Where has Martial improved in past couple of seasons?
Agree.

But I just can’t see him being treated the same as the likes of Lingard, Rojo, Lukaku etc. He’s definitely one of Ole’s favourites for some reason.

That three game suspension 5 months ago has really derailed his season...

Unread 22-02-2021, 12:39 PM
Big Norm

No excuses left for the lazy @#%&! (my favourite being he was unhappy the number 9 shirt was given to Zlatan).

He just doesn't have the right attitude to be a top player, end of.

believe

Quote:
Agree.

But I just can’t see him being treated the same as the likes of Lingard, Rojo, Lukaku etc. He’s definitely one of Ole’s favourites for some reason.

Still rusty IMO

shenwen

Quote:
Agree.

Would be even more mental is that were true. The lad has no mental strength.

Agree that he does seem one of the manager's favourites. Which is understandable as he is full of talent. That turn inside yesterday was lovely - but it was the only thing he did the entire game.

As I said earlier, not even angry any more. Starting to feel sorry for him. Doesn't seem like a bad lad. Just weak minded. The very least he could do though is bust a lung now and then. Show a bit of hunger. More effort would lead to more chances.

Unread 22-02-2021, 03:23 PM
Vida_15

Quote:
Alan Shearer doesn’t think Anthony Martial does “anywhere near enough” for Man Utd after they beat Newcastle United 3-1 on Sunday.

Martial has made 20 Premier League appearances this season but only contributed four goals and three assists despite the Red Devils scoring the most goals in the Premier League.

The Frenchman has registered just two goals in his last 13 appearances in all competitions with both of those coming in a 9-0 demolition of Southampton.

And former Newcastle striker Shearer claims that Man Utd striker Martial is “not desperate enough to score goals” and has been demonstrating a “lack of hunger”.

“Only four league goals this season, not enough movement, he’s certainly not desperate enough to score goals,” Shearer said on BBC’s Match of the Day 2.

“When you look at his positioning, he spends far too much time [out wide] when you need someone in the box. Not once does he look to get anywhere near that box to score goals.

“He’s spending too much time out there [wide], there’s no focal point, there’s no one there to hold the ball up. He should realise he should get out of there and get into the box. ‘I don’t think it means enough to him to put that ball into the back of the net.

“He’s only ever scored more than 20 goals in a season once. And that’s not just league goals. When you consider Manchester United are top scorers in the Premier League with 53 and he’s got four, I don’t think that’s anywhere near enough.

“Apparently he’s the one who says he wants play centre forward, he deserves to be in there, well his numbers I think have to be a lot better if he wants to play in that position. I wouldn’t say it’s a lack of experience.

“This is his sixth season at Manchester United. I wouldn’t say a lack of experience is a problem at all, I would say it’s his lack of hunger and lack of desire to get in there to constantly score goals you need to.

“He had a good season in terms of numbers last season but you have to do that on a regular basis, particularly when Man United are scoring as many as they are.”

hard to argue any points made about his lack of desire and positional play.....shit we say it every match that he spends more time out wide like a winger than he does playing in front of the two CB's. He £#%&!ing thinks he's Henry or Aubameyang when he need him putting pressure on the CB's and trying to get into the box to finish off crosses

https://www.football365.com/news/ala...man-utd-desire

Unread 07-03-2021, 07:48 PM
Tronics

best striker at the club by a country mile

yes he’ll miss a chance or two but his hold up play, link play and dribbling with the ball at pace is just on another level to everyone else

Cavani should be used as an impact sub when we need something different but Martial should remain our main man until the time comes where we want to sign a Halaand or Mbappe level striker

just wish he got a goal to seal his performance