United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 22-11-2020, 01:27 PM
Cream

Maybe Ole was right and they were tense. Got that home win now, maybe pick up some momentum.

We will need to integrate Donny and Cavani soon though. No point having fresh faces if you’re putting a bag over their heads.

Unread 22-11-2020, 01:31 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Yeah one positive for me yesterday was Telles. Looks like a decent addition. Aside from that, thought slab played well again and McT looked comfortable when he came on. Would like to see more Beeky. Don’t get what we hope to learn by playing Mata. Martial - again - was terrible. He’s never going to be the player we think he could be is he?
He must still be rusty.

Unread 22-11-2020, 01:45 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
He must still be rusty.

Martial’s starting to get pelters, and rightly so, but I’m not sure how much longer we’re going to be able to pretend everything’s ok with Marcus. The kid can’t string two good games together. He doesn’t have the option to go past full backs on the outside and his instictive play is good, but it seems whenever he has to compose himself and think about the finish he goes to pieces. If he wasn’t fit he shouldn’t have played.

Unread 22-11-2020, 02:57 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
We will need to integrate Donny and Cavani soon though. No point having fresh faces if you’re putting a bag over their heads.
Can’t see any argument against this now. The alternatives simply aren’t better. They’ve had enough game time now to settle to the pace of the pl or whatever other cliche we want to use - let them £#%&!ing play now.

Unread 22-11-2020, 08:30 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
The really galling thing is that if we win our game in hand, we’re still 4 £#%&!ing points off Tottenham who are top.

Potentially 4 points off the top in November ffs - feels like a huge gap with what, a third of the season played already? It just feels like there’s no way back from such a damming position with the season as old as it is.

When you look at it like that, even the die hard ole crew have to question themselves.
Can literally feel the snide dripping from this post

Unread 22-11-2020, 08:43 PM
goonlooca

Quote:
Got that home win now, maybe pick up some momentum.
Five home premier league games this season & still only one United goal from open play. (VdB/Palace). shocking stat

Unread 22-11-2020, 10:32 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonlooca
Five home premier league games this season & still only one United goal from open play. (VdB/Palace). shocking stat
And it didn’t do him any favours re getting in the team either

Unread 22-11-2020, 10:38 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Maybe Ole was right and they were tense. Got that home win now, maybe pick up some momentum.

Mate, it's not gonna happen. There is no "momentum", there is no "kicking on". These players aren't suddenly going to become consistent and our manager isn't suddenly going to get a clue.

there's just one step forward and 3 steps back. Welcome to mediocrity.

Unread 22-11-2020, 10:56 PM
Ethers

3 steps back

Unread 22-11-2020, 10:57 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Mate, it's not gonna happen. There is no "momentum", there is no "kicking on". These players aren't suddenly going to become consistent and our manager isn't suddenly going to get a clue.

there's just one step forward and 3 steps back. Welcome to mediocrity.

Unread 23-11-2020, 12:23 AM
red in cumbria

Sparky on his "best" form tonight, you love to see it

Unread 23-11-2020, 10:19 AM
ScarFace

Oh god we're playing tomorrow.

Unread 23-11-2020, 11:06 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
The really galling thing is that if we win our game in hand, we’re still 4 £#%&!ing points off Tottenham who are top.

Potentially 4 points off the top in November ffs - feels like a huge gap with what, a third of the season played already? It just feels like there’s no way back from such a damming position with the season as old as it is.

When you look at it like that, even the die hard ole crew have to question themselves.
So, in other words, we’re 7 points back after the first quarter of the season.

This seems to happen every year now. We underperform - which we have - and to make ourselves feel better about what might happen our support go on about things like Guardiola and Arteta not getting the same stick as Ole or still being in touch with the top four if this goes right or that goes right. It’s not the point is it? I don’t want to keep comparing us to the big clubs who are doing the worst so we can appear in a favourable light, it’s a losers mentality. We’ve all watched enough football to know that the way we’re playing, and our inconsistency, means that 7 points is much more likely to go to 10, 12, 15 than it is to go to 4, 2 and 0.

It makes me want to puke, but watching Liverpool yesterday with all those players out, was like night and day. Just their attitude in possession, the effort they give, the commitment forward from everyone; we’re a million miles away. Meanwhile we’re still talking about the same issues with the same players who, as far as I can see, have no competition for their places. If you still have the same problems with a player after four, five, six years then you’re still going to have those same problems until they’re gone. Nailed on. Keane’s bluffers.

Unread 23-11-2020, 11:11 AM
atticusgrinch

The fact AWB is starting every game, no matter the opposition, tells me that Ole either doesn't know he's shit, or does know but won't drop him because he spent £50m on him.

Either way - it's horrible.

Unread 23-11-2020, 11:12 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
So, in other words, we’re 7 points back after the first quarter of the season.

This seems to happen every year now. We underperform - which we have - and to make ourselves feel better about what might happen our support go on about things like Guardiola and Arteta not getting the same stick as Ole or still being in touch with the top four if this goes right or that goes right. It’s not the point is it? I don’t want to keep comparing us to the big clubs who are doing the worst so we can appear in a favourable light, it’s a losers mentality. We’ve all watched enough football to know that the way we’re playing, and our inconsistency, means that 7 points is much more likely to go to 10, 12, 15 than it is to go to 4, 2 and 0.

It makes me want to puke, but watching Liverpool yesterday with all those players out, was like night and day. Just their attitude in possession, the effort they give, the commitment forward from everyone; we’re a million miles away. Meanwhile we’re still talking about the same issues with the same players who, as far as I can see, have no competition for their places. If you still have the same problems with a player after four, five, six years then you’re still going to have those same problems until they’re gone. Nailed on. Keane’s bluffers.
Yep. All this “it’s only x points” should really be “it’s already x points”.

We’re not playing catch up, we keep looking at the top and the points gap like it’s got anything to £#%&!ing do with us. This is probably the closest we’ll be to the top all season and that’s simply because there’s been less than 30 points available.

It’s not some isolated moment either. We do this every year. It’s only November.... it’s only x points... if we win our game in hand.

We’re mediocre. We’re behind because it’s our level. We just got into the top half this weekend ffs.

We’ll be

Unread 23-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Ethers

Do you 2 understand how games in hand work?

Unread 23-11-2020, 11:20 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

Unread 23-11-2020, 11:23 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Yep. All this “it’s only x points” should really be “it’s already x points”.

We’re not playing catch up, we keep looking at the top and the points gap like it’s got anything to £#%&!ing do with us. This is probably the closest we’ll be to the top all season and that’s simply because there’s been less than 30 points available.

It’s not some isolated moment either. We do this every year. It’s only November.... it’s only x points... if we win our game in hand.

We’re mediocre. We’re behind because it’s our level. We just got into the top half this weekend ffs.

We’ll be
We disagree about Martial, but I saw it from game one under van Gaal. We’d be advancing down the right and I was thinking ‘why is this kid trotting and not getting into the box?’ We’re so used to watching players like Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney that you just take it for granted top forwards will break their necks to get into goal scoring positions.

Even simple things like pressing properly. You watch Mane yesterday and the way he was pressing Schmeichel and Leicester’s back line, forcing them to boot it out of play and give back possession. Then you watch Martial’s effort at a ‘press’; it’s laughable. I think our opposition defenders just ignore him. Small things done well help win games.

Unread 23-11-2020, 11:26 AM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
We disagree about Martial, but I saw it from game one under van Gaal. We’d be advancing down the right and I was thinking ‘why is this kid trotting and not getting into the box?’ We’re so used to watching players like Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney that you just take it for granted top forwards will break their necks to get into goal scoring positions.

Even simple things like pressing properly. You watch Mane yesterday and the way he was pressing Schmeichel and Leicester’s back line, forcing them to boot it out of play and give back possession. Then you watch Martial’s effort at a ‘press’; it’s laughable. I think our opposition defenders just ignore him. Small things done well help win games.
martial couldnt press a pair of jeans the @#%&!

Unread 23-11-2020, 11:26 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Well I know you have to actually play matches to win points, and I know that how you play has some affect on the likely result. Anything else I need to know? Did you watch the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
martial couldnt press a pair of jeans the @#%&!
And yet here he still is; Man Utd’s number nine. And we wonder why we’re shit.