United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:20 PM
armchair

proud of the lads

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:21 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
His form determines those things though. It doesn’t come naturally to him, but when he’s on it, has that extra spring in his step, he’s in better areas.

He has flaws in his games as a ‘number 9’, but he also has qualities that
Other no 9s don’t (can beat a player, delicate one touch play).

Right now, he’s not in good form and not scoring. No denying that and he needs to improve. Once he finds it, I fancy him to bag another 20 this season. He had, what, 23 last year? If he can do that again, happy days,
But surely when you’re out of form the only thing you can guarantee is work rate. Mate, we’re still talking about the same shit with Martial after, what, five years? I tend to watch him a bit closer because I expect it from him now. He’s twice the technician Sterling is, but Sterling works much much harder, which is why he’s the better player.

There’s no doubt in my mind that Martial was one of Keane’s “bluffers”. I think he’s right. Still.

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Yes. They keep saying clear and obvious, but that is subjective so trying to make that consistent is a nightmare.

They must also have a responsibility to point things out that they suspect the ref might have missed. In this case, a touch on the ball.

From there, he can make his own decision about his own decision, with as many views as he likes.

That’s surely not a bad thing.

How he come to the conclusion he did, I’m not sure, but that’s another matter and ultimately shows that no matter how much tech you bring in, not many football laws are 100% fact and it’s often going to come down to a human making a judgment call.
Exactly, the term 'clear and obvious' isn't clear and obvious in of itself!

But the difference between a player getting a touch on a ball when making a tackle, and not getting a touch on the ball when making a tackle is clear and obvious imo.

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:24 PM
puressence

Liverpool moaning that much about tonight’s ref on var tomorrow for there game. He got removed and given our game instead 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:26 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
But surely when you’re out of form the only thing you can guarantee is work rate. Mate, we’re still talking about the same shit with Martial after, what, five years? I tend to watch him a bit closer because I expect it from him now. He’s twice the technician Sterling is, but Sterling works much much harder, which is why he’s the better player.

There’s no doubt in my mind that Martial was one of Keane’s “bluffers”. I think he’s right. Still.
Fundamentally, I don’t disagree. His default position is a bit lazy. When he isn’t confident, he withdraws, but like I say, I suspect he’ll be back on soon and getting 20 goals.

That would give him 20 goals in each of the last two seasons. That’s a good standard, especially if the team progressing.

I think this season will be similar to last for him, which was generally considered a success,

I don’t disagree with your assessment of his flaws, perhaps Just the sum of what he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Liverpool moaning that much about tonight’s ref on var tomorrow for there game. He got removed and given our game instead 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I did think that as it was happening

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:27 PM
suedeshoes

Martial is £#%&!. We won't win a carrot with him as a striker.

20LEgend1999

Just seen that we only had 9 points after 8 games last season. Progress being made.

utd99

Quote:
Fundamentally, I don’t disagree. His default position is a bit lazy. When he isn’t confident, he withdraws, but like I say, I suspect he’ll be back on soon and getting 20 goals.

That would give him 20 goals in each of the last two seasons. That’s a good standard, especially if the team progressing.

I think this season will be similar to last for him, which was generally considered a success,

I don’t disagree with your assessment of his flaws, perhaps Just the sum of what he is.

I did think that as it was happening
We should be aiming higher.

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:29 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
No doubt they are moaning about that now

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:30 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Exactly, the term 'clear and obvious' isn't clear and obvious in of itself!

Exactly.

You’re essentially trying to determine the size of the error and standardise it. Virtually impossible.

Offside, goal line stuff. That’s more or less all that is cold, hard fact and even offside causes controversy. It’s why I don’t like it and should be binned off. Subjectivity and getting completely £#%&!ed over is part of football. We’ve had it, been hurt by it and still come back for more
For 100 £#%&!ing years, so I don’t want to see it poorly standardised now.

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:32 PM
Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
Martial is ****. We won't win a carrot with him as a striker.
You could same the same about everyone of them apart from Bruno.

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:34 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
What he said

Yet another disgustingly bland performance

£#%&! em.

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:35 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
We should be aiming higher.
We were highly successful with strikers scoring 15-20 goals in a season. And they’re not at their peak. If we are done with Martial, we could be easily be done with Rashford too.

I don’t expect them to be perfect at 23/24, I want to see progression and I think both have shown that in the last 12 months with their overall contribution.

If they regress this season, the problems are worse and the output is less, then it’s another conversation and I’ll be moving over to your side.

In the context of this game too, everyone was pretty poor.

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:38 PM
Medlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Just seen that we only had 9 points after 8 games last season. Progress being made.
Above city after 8 too. Must have been a while since that was true as well

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:40 PM
Dr Stranger

Table certainly looks a lot less appalling.

It’s why winning tonight was so important.

“It’s only West Brom” but it’s exactly the kind of fixture and circumstance we fail in: team with men behind the ball, we’re Expected to win and we’ve just won a tougher game.

Winning was absolutely paramount. Now we need performances and wins to back it up.

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:48 PM
Knockers

Quote:
True-say, fam.

Martial wouldn’t get a minute at Liverpool as he doesn’t work anywhere near hard enough. He’s alright but £#%&!ing hell.

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:48 PM
utd99

Quote:
We were highly successful with strikers scoring 15-20 goals in a season. And they’re not at their peak. If we are done with Martial, we could be easily be done with Rashford too.

I don’t expect them to be perfect at 23/24, I want to see progression and I think both have shown that in the last 12 months with their overall contribution.

If they regress this season, the problems are worse and the output is less, then it’s another conversation and I’ll be moving over to your side.

In the context of this game too, everyone was pretty poor.
Rashford is inconsistent, but he gets more slack because he works his socks off every game. Martial is lazy and that’s unforgivable. Look at his position for Mata’s dummy; he’s not even in the £#%&!ing box. Even when he moved out left, van der Beek’s looking for him to make runs and he’s just standing there. It’s been too long mate.

Unread 21-11-2020, 11:57 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Rashford is inconsistent, but he gets more slack because he works his socks off every game. Martial is lazy and that’s unforgivable. Look at his position for Mata’s dummy; he’s not even in the £#%&!ing box. Even when he moved out left, van der Beek’s looking for him to make runs and he’s just standing there. It’s been too long mate.
Again , don’t disagree with the assessment of his flaws, just the conclusion. For now, at least.

I don’t think he’s as lazy as he’s made out either. Nor do i think rashford is some workhorse. I think they were both as bad as each other tonight, including work rate.

Not making the right run isn’t necessarily lazy, it’s just not a natural thing for him. It’s not a strength of his. If you think that’s a weakness that means he shouldn’t play for his us, then so be it and I understand that position, but I also think he has other qualities that compensate for that. He’ll pick the ball up on the left and run 30 yards with it, no danger.failing to Work on his weaknesses could he construed as lazy, but you could level that at rashford too if he continues to be inconsistent.

You essentially think what he’s doing isn’t enough and you’ve had enough. Fair enough. I think last season was his best season and he’ll do something similar this season. If he doesn’t, he’ll probably be done here and he can have no complaints and I won’t be defending him.

I’m generally quite happy with Martial these days (current form not withstanding), but I get why people aren’t.

Unread 22-11-2020, 12:02 AM
AK14

Quote:
This.

Unread 22-11-2020, 12:03 AM
NedKelly

Think we all know the real reason people are singling martial out...