United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 27-06-2020, 10:30 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
Not sure how much has changed but I don't think I ever heard a real life conversation praising Liverpool's dominance like this during the 1980's

If only we had Kevin Keegan making runs or we had Phil Thompson at the back

Football fans have changed

Name and shame
Maybe because you were a £#%&!ing child back then and children can't really deal with nuance.

Having said that you haven't really changed much have you, you militant boring @#%&!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
2-1 united after a raft of subs and shaw disgracing himself
Anyway i noticed the usual suspects aren't quoting this from before kick off

Unread 27-06-2020, 10:39 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
will no one think about the defensive midfielders we are absolutely crying out for? the rest of it is just tinsel.

when I am coaching my europa squad, I will try to undo what successive negative soul-sucking shit managers have drummed into him.
Fred is rusty, but is the hardest worker we’ve had for a long time and he had played himself into some very good form pre lockdown. The Scottish Player is just a kid, but he’s United through and through and will get better and better, and Matic has been better than both even though the clock’s ticking. We’re ok there for the moment.

Shaw just isn’t good enough mate. Most of the time he’s content to just control it backwards and knock it back or sideways; his decision making and execution when he does venture upfield is shocking, and he’s constantly out of position defensively which is why other teams target our left side. Surely this is obvious by now.

Both Van Gaal and Mourinho failed and were rightly sacked, but they weren’t wrong about everything. Liverpool have the best full backs in the league; I don’t want to envy them, I want to match them, not settle.

Unread 27-06-2020, 11:03 PM
redhegemony

I could live with Shaw if he was top at defending or attacking but he seems average at both.

Unread 27-06-2020, 11:14 PM
Jack Duckworth

cup ties are all about the win.

Unread 27-06-2020, 11:17 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
I could live with Shaw if he was top at defending or attacking but he seems average at both.
I think you’re being generous. Chillwell is average and he’s a clear upgrade on Shaw.

Unread 27-06-2020, 11:24 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Maybe because you were a £#%&!ing child back then and children can't really deal with nuance.
I mean I really really *really* REALLY hate to say this, but this is a better Liverpool side than back then (and more pleasant to watch too) Only their 1987-88 version comes even close really.

There, now off to wash my mouth out both metaphorically and literally

Unread 27-06-2020, 11:59 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
The two top teams (i don't think anyone will disagree) City and Liverpool, their fullbacks are a huge part of how they attack. constantly overlapping, constantly running in behind. Ours just don't seem to do any of that.

Out wide we hold onto the ball too long, then pass it infield. Nobody takes responsibility. There's very little in the way of quality delivery at all.

If you watch City play you can see everything is rehearsed on the training pitch in order to create overloads in wide areas and get defenders facing their own goals, the endless amounts they score from simple cutbacks and square balls across the area.

Liverpool it's all about gut-busting runs and energy, forcing teams onto the back foot from the go and never relenting.

I've been watching us under Solskjaer for 18 months now and honestly, aside from being good on the counter attack, i couldn't tell you HOW we play. We just seem to go out there and wing it, which i'm sure is not the case but it just feel like that at times.

I'm sure we'll play better next game and a lot of this is all due to ridiculous post-lockdown scheduling, but we are still a country mile away from being anything resembling a top side again.

I actually think I made points that a lot of people would agree with.
Don't disagree with any of that. The full backs are a big deal. We need to improve that.

As you say, City score most of their goals with simple cut backs. We rarely 'get in behind'. It's usually something happening from deeper. Today, it was Pogba playing it in to Martial. When we DO fire crosses in properly, we get what had against Sheffield United in the first half: driving run to the byline, hammered cross. AWB cut back. It's simple stuff, but we avoid it. It's how most goals are scored. We seem to want to score a good goal rather than any goal.

Bruno looks for it. So does pogba. Even Matic... but most of our midfield and defence just don't look for that ball. The full backs certainly don't (although I think AWB is improving).

Re Ole, I do think we can see something. Especially away. He wants that counter attacking pace and interchangeable forwards, but when teams pack the box, we still struggle.

That's the next step. We're a team under construction. He's changed the culture, the characters. We're winning again. Results and records under him are improving- most before him were WORSE 18 months in.. we're better. We just have stuff to work on and about 4 players in.

We're getting there.

Unread 28-06-2020, 10:40 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony

Unread 28-06-2020, 10:42 AM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
jesus...

Unread 28-06-2020, 10:44 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
jesus...
Yep, even he dealt better with crosses better than Shaw.

Unread 28-06-2020, 10:45 AM
elhombre

Quote:

Unread 28-06-2020, 12:33 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Wouldn't say that was out of context at all tbf.

Unread 28-06-2020, 01:52 PM
utd99

Quote:
This is why I say footballers get away with murder. Of course miss a shot, misplace a pass, but by thirty £#%&!ing yards?? Can you imagine the shit a basketball player would get if he just kept hoisting the ball into the stands? Yeah I get that feet are harder to control than hands, but these blokes have been doing the same mechanics millions of times since the age of 5. Thirty £#%&!ing yards......

I know he’s a centre back, but that ball that fell to Bailly in the box.. 12 yards out, miss by 40 yards. How is that even possible? The only thing on his mind was wellying it. Murder.

Unread 28-06-2020, 01:56 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:

Unread 28-06-2020, 02:01 PM
utd99

Quote:

Unread 08-07-2020, 11:40 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
The two top teams (i don't think anyone will disagree) City and Liverpool, their fullbacks are a huge part of how they attack. constantly overlapping, constantly running in behind. Ours just don't seem to do any of that.

Out wide we hold onto the ball too long, then pass it infield. Nobody takes responsibility. There's very little in the way of quality delivery at all.

If you watch City play you can see everything is rehearsed on the training pitch in order to create overloads in wide areas and get defenders facing their own goals, the endless amounts they score from simple cutbacks and square balls across the area.

Liverpool it's all about gut-busting runs and energy, forcing teams onto the back foot from the go and never relenting.

I've been watching us under Solskjaer for 18 months now and honestly, aside from being good on the counter attack, i couldn't tell you HOW we play. We just seem to go out there and wing it, which i'm sure is not the case but it just feel like that at times.

I'm sure we'll play better next game and a lot of this is all due to ridiculous post-lockdown scheduling, but we are still a country mile away from being anything resembling a top side again.

I actually think I made points that a lot of people would agree with.
First 3 goals exactly the same.

Unread 09-07-2020, 12:03 AM
dunk

The 3rd was a deflected own goal after a run by Hesus?

Unread 09-07-2020, 12:07 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
The 3rd was a deflected own goal after a run by Hesus?
you know what i mean

Unread 09-07-2020, 07:41 AM
The Stella Fella

Quote:
you know what i mean
Yeah you meant 2

Unread 09-07-2020, 08:10 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stella Fella
Yeah you meant 2