United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:03 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Road
yep, he knows he's finished if we lose them and you just know Mourinho will be up for rubbing our noses right in it
As well he should. We sacked him.

I would tbf.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
What about the coaches though? Do we sack all of them with Ole? After all you said it's clear we're poorly coached no matter who the manager is.

And then do you suddenly expect the shitter members of the team to start performing well because we've changed the manager and coaches?
I didn't say we're poorly coached no matter who the manager is. I suggested coaching is a staff thing, yes. But the senior coach is still responsible for his staff. No matter what happens above, it's still routine in football that the manager chooses most of his staff.

We aren't there day-to-day so we don't know the quality of training. There were rumours in pre-season that players weren't impressed with the level of coaching. Never a good sign albeit you wish they'd shut the £#%&! up. But yeah, I imagine if Ole goes they all will too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That would be fine had we not looked a poorly coached, disorganised mess with a variety of players under 5 different coaches over the last 6 years.

The brief period we weren't all of those things was under the current manager tbh.
We didn't look poorly coached under Van Gaal. Quite the opposite. There was clear structure for the most part. Under Mourinho you knew what he was trying to do most of the time, the tactics were just quite questionable in themselves.

Under Ole I'm still not entirely sure what he wants. Reminds me a bit of Emery at Arsenal. It's all over the place from week to week.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:23 PM
utd99

Over coaching is still poor coaching if the players just don’t get it.

Van Gaal’s problem was that the players either didn’t buy into, or didn’t understand, his methods. He either needed smarter players, which is on him because he bought badly, or simpler methods, also on him. When the play is that dreary and unproductive he’s clearly doing something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
As well he should. We sacked him.

I would tbf.

I thought you were banned.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:35 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99

Van Gaal’s problem was that the players either didn’t buy into, or didn’t understand, his methods. He either needed smarter players, which is on him because he bought badly, or simpler methods, also on him. When the play is that dreary and unproductive he’s clearly doing something wrong.
I think it's this, although as I say even with Mourinho buying players is a club job these days. They need to help the manager get the right players. Van Gaal's methods aren't really in question. They've worked everywhere he's been and inspired a lot of modern coaching.

Communication perhaps an issue, but overall I think Schneiderlin, Darmian and many of those inherited weren't up to it.

It's why you can have similar sympathy for Ole. That side we are currently putting out has no real business in the top four. But should it be this bad? You could argue that when a United team isn't really good enough to be top four it sucks the confidence out of the club. Perhaps with better backing in the summer Ole is able to develop the personality of the side and squad.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:36 PM
Clownbones

Quote:

I thought you were banned.
Just loitering

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:49 PM
utd99

Quote:
Just loitering
Ah ok. Sulking then.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:51 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Just loitering
Choose a £#%&!ing username to use please...

Report in.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:54 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Choose a £#%&!ing username to use please...

Report in.
Got a new phone. Whichever login I can remember, that's how you have to take me

Quote:
Ah ok. Sulking then.
Damn right! You seen us play recently?

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:02 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
I think it's this, although as I say even with Mourinho buying players is a club job these days. They need to help the manager get the right players. Van Gaal's methods aren't really in question. They've worked everywhere he's been and inspired a lot of modern coaching.

Communication perhaps an issue, but overall I think Schneiderlin, Darmian and many of those inherited weren't up to it.

It's why you can have similar sympathy for Ole. That side we are currently putting out has no real business in the top four. But should it be this bad? You could argue that when a United team isn't really good enough to be top four it sucks the confidence out of the club. Perhaps with better backing in the summer Ole is able to develop the personality of the side and squad.
I absolutely do sympathise with him. It must be utterly soul sucking to give out instructions, then watch a calamity of terrible basic technique and horrendous decisions unfold, which you have limited ability to affect.

Good manager vs bad manager, there can be little rhyme nor reason to it. Is Wenger a good manager because he coached the title winning teams and invincibles, or a bad manager because he couldn’t recreate them? The list is almost endless of successful managers who went on to fail either at other clubs or even their own; look at Clough. The only reasonable conclusion is that no success can be universally recreated everywhere and under every circumstance. Even Guardiola has never really coached shit players for long, and when he came even remotely close he finished 4th.

That being said, we should still be doing better than we are now. The funny thing about managing well -not good managers- is that your team over performs compared to it’s composite parts, ala Leicester, but we are under performing, nqat.

Quote:
Damn right! You seen us play recently?
Of course. I’m not Riccers.

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:06 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I absolutely do sympathise with him. It must be utterly soul sucking to give out instructions, then watch a calamity of terrible basic technique and horrendous decisions unfold, which you have limited ability to affect.

Good manager vs bad manager, there can be little rhyme nor reason to it. Is Wenger a good manager because he coached the title winning teams and invincibles, or a bad manager because he couldn’t recreate them? The list is almost endless of successful managers who went on to fail either at other clubs or even their own; look at Clough. The only reasonable conclusion is that no success can be universally recreated everywhere and under every circumstance. Even Guardiola has never really coached shit players for long, and when he came even remotely close he finished 4th.

That being said, we should still be doing better than we are now. The funny thing about managing well -not good managers- is that your team over performs compared to it’s composite parts, ala Leicester, but we are under performing, nqat.
Guardiola himself said you can have a great team with a bad manager, but not with bad players. They're the ones out there.

If Ole has this same group, but with Leicester on the badge rather than United, do they do better? I have no doubt the expectations weigh on a player. When you're playing for Manchester United but you know top four is a big ask, it must demoralise everyone. In essence, you have to really believe in something to gain proper confidence.

It must be hard for Ole to make a squad like this feel like Manchester United, and therefore play like it.

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:11 PM
marlo

Quote:

It must be hard for Ole to make a squad like this feel like Manchester United, and therefore play like it.
It’s also hard for the players to take someone who has no business managing a top club seriously ...

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:14 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Guardiola himself said you can have a great team with a bad manager, but not with bad players. They're the ones out there.

How in the £#%&! would he know? The £#%&!ing cushy job taking @#%&!.

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:15 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Because he invented passing, has made us all better parents and we should be eternally grateful.

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Chester Road

Quote:
How in the f*** would he know? The f***ing cushy job taking c***.

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:17 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
It’s also hard for the players to take someone who has no business managing a top club seriously ...
The same players who have no business playing for a top club?

The one obvious downside to hiring another manager is that they all get a free pass...again. I think half of them have decided this is the best way to see out their careers at this club.

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:19 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Who are these manager who turn down the glamorous jobs to prove they could hack it in the Championship etc?

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Who are these manager who turn down the glamorous jobs to prove they could hack it in the Championship etc?
Bielsa?

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Chester Road

Thumbs up

Quote:
Bielsa?

sages gonna sage....

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:25 PM
utd99

Quote:
It’s a well proven fact that English managers are discriminated against for the top jobs.

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:27 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Bielsa?
Did he turn down Bayern, Barca etc?

Far as I remember his last two jobs were 19 games at Lille and two days at Lazio.
Closed Thread